Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you use Lowendspirit for production?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you use Lowendspirit for production?

Are those VPSes good for something important? Or they're just meant for play?
I don't mean of course hosting an entire website but as help server for backups, blog, ticket system or crawler. I believe I doesn't have an uptime guarantee :)
Just asking, no need to offend me...I'm aware of the price.

Comments

• depend of the company , but yes many providers is ok , its easy to search for reviews here

• From what I have seen the uptime is good however NAT brings it's own issues and effects on the reliability of a service.

Could you use it for production? Yes if you understand the effects it could have on your service and accept them but also have a strategy in place to migrate/move or whatever should something happen that you could not wait for resolution.

Would I use it for production? No. Simply because it's NAT.

• Depends on how critical the application is.

• No, just for something not important.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

it's fine for personal vpn, might get one later.
    you could use it for testing certain web apps, like sphider and such.
    sphider times out when it goes crawling on my raspberry pi. so either sphider is bad or the rpi isn't made for such things.

• Actually what worries me the most is the uptime.

Thanked by 1lucast
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

I don't think 'no because NAT' is a good reason but that's just me, I would say no its not for use for production if you don't understand what you are doing.

e.g. putting a website on 1 LES location that has no SLA, backups etc is just stupid if it is production and you don't want any surprises.

However if you take all 12... 13? locations and have your site replicating and use something like amazons route 66 geoDNS or a free tier of rage4 for example you then have a high availability website that would stay up even if 11 of the 12 DC's went of fire at the same time and I don't know where else you can get that for €36.00 p/year

Obviously you can scale that down to 2 or 3 locations and use cloudflare RR and ipv6<>4 translation.

Some locations are better than others, JP for example is on Vultr which is production grade, Singapore is a dual quad core with 12 Disks in Raid 10, so in some regards its better than a lot of hosts here that think raid 0 (or similar) is ok 'because performance'

But it is what it is, I don't offer SLA or any promises because I just cant for the price, if you want to use it for production then just consider your implementation carefully and you can probably get a more reliable service distributed on LES than you would at some MAJOR DC's and at a fraction of the price.

edit: just counted it is actually 15 locations now ...

• I'm sure you can't offer a SLA and I wouldn't use one location only and for a website only.

• wouldn't even use it for development/testing.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Personally, LES is great - I've used it in and out of production. I ran a Streaming CDN using LES and it performed great for the task, it just relayed from my main server and provided PoPs for all :)

All in all, not a terrible service but wouldn't use for anything that is critical but for hobbyist production or even a small enterprise you could utilize this service and is very cost effective.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

So far the least amount of downtime I've experienced for my LES VPSs is 9 minutes from my VPS in France with NanoVZ/Evoburst. I also have a VPS with them in Atlanta in a "close" second with 47 minutes of downtime, and a VPS with DeepNetSolutions with just shy of 2 hours downtime. The rest of my LES VPSs have a minimum of 3 hours of downtime on them already since I started monitoring them in July. They still suit my purpose (and I would gladly buy more) but I wouldn't host anything on one single VPS that generated revenue or needed high uptime.

Thanked by 1sandro
    edited September 2015

JoeMerit said: wouldn't even use it for development/testing.

Thanks, that's the 'spirit' :) and that's probably for the best for everyone.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2015

I use LES for production. I actually host a couple of sites on a couple of LES, with even a control panel in it. Both are stable for over a year (although they are low traffic sites, a wordpress and a joomla installation combined with a html5 side site). A third LES is acting as a non-high traffic icecast streamer (no more than 10-12 simultaneous users) and it is also very stable. Two of them are LES from @AnthonySmith (excellent service, excellent person) and another one is from @i-83. I have also some other LES and some other brands, and I run two critical sites in a rented server that I setup there a couple of VPS with NAT, both working like a charm.

Lee said: NAT brings it's own issues and effects on the reliability of a service

For plain web hosting, streaming service, personal vpn and some other stuff, IMO there is any effect on the reliability of those services.

JoeMerit said: wouldn't even use it for development/testing.

Thank God!

• @JoeMerit said:
    wouldn't even use it for development/testing.

What? Why? You understand that one day you will have only service like this, or IPv6 only, right?

• I use LES to host my personal site.. all good so far.. no big issue..
    For the price and service I got, I can say very satisfy..

• @emdad said:
    What? Why? You understand that one day you will have only service like this, or IPv6 only, right?

I sincerely doubt that the future of VPS service is 128MB OpenVZ with lots of downtime.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

AnthonySmith said: I don't think 'no because NAT' is a good reason

Perhaps "production" for me is different than others. For me it means something that requires the kind of performance, reliability and service no NAT products currently on offer could give me.

edited September 2015

JoeMerit said: I sincerely doubt that the future of VPS service is 128MB OpenVZ with lots of downtime.

No one disagrees, but how about using a bunch of them to create your own HA on services that all achieve 99.9% up time individually?

• @JoeMerit said:

I didn't mean that and you know it. Also except Evo where else did you see "lots of downtime?"

Thanked by 1skynet
  • Why does EVO have lots of downtime?

• Every kimsufi, kidechire, dedibox, server auction, etc. dedi has had more uptime (= pretty much 100%) than any of my VPS's. No tinkering with cloudflare or DNS needed, shit just works.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jvnadr said:
    Two of them are LES from @AnthonySmith (excellent service, excellent person) and another one is from @i-83. I have also some other LES and some other brands,

I-83 is not part of the lowendspirit "group". Offering NAT servers doesn't make it LES.
    Lowendspirit is a brand.

• @sandro said:
    Why does EVO have lots of downtime?

Because of DDoS attacks on the IP Addresses

• mikho said: Lowendspirit is a brand.

I know, that's why I mention them differently. I just saying that NAT vps can be used for production, if it is stable

• I don't have an LES box yet, I'm waiting for an India location @anthonysmith :P

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • Most of the LES are ok with 90% or more uptime. But there is one location that is 87%. It's ok for PBN etc but not for main websites.

• If you're going to be using the NAT v4 address, you're not going to be happy. If you're using your IPv6 addresses, then you should be good most of the time. (can throw these behind Cloudflare if you're hosting sites and they'll be accessible via v4)

The biggest problem with LES is that you're sharing an IPv4 address with (mostly) good folks but also a lot of shit heads who are huge DDoS magnets and/or abuse the service. It just comes with the price point.

• mikeyur said: The biggest problem with LES is that you're sharing an IPv4 address

It could be argued it is also the main plus point as it creates such a cheap but still reliable service. I am sure inception offers a $20 annual bundle which provide 6 locations.

Depending on your needs NAT is not a difficult thing to work with.

Although you are right in that with all those people sharing a single IP you are likely to come across issues. That said I would have expected to see more issues posted if it was that bad. Maybe there has been I have not been looking to be honest.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited September 2015

@Lee said: Depending on your needs NAT is not a difficult thing to work with.

I agree, many of my boxes are only single IPv4 but running multiple VMs with NAT + some port forwarding.

It's more the "sharing it with a lot of shit heads" part. If you can stick to mostly IPv6 you should be getting like 99.95%+ uptime. There are a fair few null routes that happen month to month, take a look at the service issues & outages section on the LES forum (gotta be a member to see it).

Thanked by 1Lee
  • mikeyur said: There are a fair few null routes that happen month to month, take a look at the service issues & outages section on the LES forum (gotta be a member to see it).

That is my expectation of a NAT based service.