Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Advisor Role, come get one! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community Advisor Role, come get one!

2»

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Can we make suggestions for the Community Advisors to consider? If yes I would suggest restoring the integrity of LET by freeing it from the clutches of ColoCrossing.

Of course, can you back it up with the money needed as @Nyr pointed out.

Thanked by 2Lee netomx
  • I'll start with $7

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nyr said: Then you could consider making a good financial offer to the actual owners.

I'll contribute $7. We should start a LowEndKickStarter!

Thanked by 3netomx TheKiller vedran
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I have sent a pm but i think @Lee didnt get it :p

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @netomx said:
    I have sent a pm but i think Lee didnt get it :p

I did, not replied to the last couple, this DDoS keep getting in my way.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I can't think of anyone more 'community' than netomx!

Thanked by 2netomx TheKiller
  • Let's say that 200 members contribute $7, that's $1,400. Low-end offer for a low-end forum. ;-)

Thanked by 3netomx ATHK gsrdgrdghd
  • I honestly don't get what the big deal with CC hosting LET/B is, could be worse.. A whole lot worse.

Thanked by 3netomx Lee switsys
  • Another vote for @netomx.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

@ATHK said:
    I honestly don't get what the big deal with CC hosting LET/B is, could be worse.. A whole lot worse.

Conflict of interest. I'm not sure what "worse" scenario you're seeing, nor does it really matter, because this is bad enough.

Lee said: nor do we need someone who harbours a chip about CC ownership of the site.

That's unfortunate, because it's a very big factor of influence on the operation of LEB/LET, whether it's publicly acknowledged as such or not. You cannot provide neutrality and independence with a financial interest in play. I'm very skeptical about the ability to 'make LET a better place' when already explicitly excluding that point.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @joepie91 said:
    That's unfortunate, because it's a very big factor of influence on the operation of LEB/LET, whether it's publicly acknowledged as such or not. You cannot provide neutrality and independence with a financial interest in play. I'm very skeptical about the ability to 'make LET a better place' when already explicitly excluding that point.

So we shouldn't bother, is your message?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:
    So we shouldn't bother, is your message?

No, that's a decision for everybody to make for themselves. I do not believe that LET is fixable as long as ColoCrossing (or really, any other entity with a financial interest in the hosting industry) owns it - there's a reason LEA explicitly tried to keep out any ties to the industry. Others may believe differently.

I'm simply explaining my disappointment, and (although I probably didn't indicate that clearly enough) my reason for not signing up for this. I came to this thread with a potential interest in contributing to this, but if there are "off-limits problems" before things have even gotten started, then it's just going to be a waste of my time.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

I'm simply explaining my disappointment, and (although I probably didn't indicate that clearly enough) my reason for not signing up for this. I came to this thread with a potential interest in contributing to this, but if there are "off-limits problems" before things have even gotten started, then it's just going to be a waste of my time.

Well, I think the point Lee was making is that we cannot change the CC ownership, so people who's only contribution would be to complain about CC ownership aren't going to help achieve anything.

Edit: to expand upon that slightly, having a dislike of CC in general is not a barrier; I think I've shown my disdain for them in the past and @AnthonySmith is frequently critical of the practices of CC's favourite son, just to give a couple of examples. However, we all understand that (in the near term certainly) a change of ownership is not on the cards, and so are trying to approach this as an opportunity to do what we we can, knowing that fact.

I know that nobody believes us when we say it (even when it comes from multiple current and ex-moderators), but we have never seen the hand of CC interfere with anything related to the policies of the site or the actions taken by staff. If you could take that at face value, and you have ideas beyond 'get rid of CC' (which I'm quite sure you do), why not apply, and maybe you'll get to see for yourself what really happens.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @joepie91 said:

GoFundMe to buy LET/LEB back into the community.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

I have seen both here and at VPSB that people complain CC will never allow LET to be what it should be, on IRC it's the same small group who can't stay away from LET but can't apparently stand it because of what it's become. I even see a couple of members just trying to manufacture drama. These are the areas where much of the CC bile comes from.

A small group wants it to be an issue and spend much of their time highlighting what they can as a preferred way of "contributing" nothing.

Several times when I was mod people claimed decisions made were CC influenced, I can say categorically that they were not, in fact on a couple of occasions I was a lone ranger on those decisions. But people do not want to believe that, it does not fit their preferred agenda.

So what do we do? Allow the site to be controlled by a small group who have no real beef with ownership just drama or set up a small group to try and bring in some changes and direction to help LET on it's way for the benefit of the vast majority who are here to get something from the site?

I of course prefer the latter. Regardless of what the outcome is some of you will class it as a failure no matter what, in fact probably have before it's started.

Nothing today other than the forum guidelines prevents anyone from;

Asking for help, offering help, posting offers, asking for input/help on projects, making reviews, posting issues with providers and so on.

surely that is what this forum is all about and why the majority are here. Our goal is to improve that experience.

Thanked by 2Steve MikePT
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I vote that @Nekki 's title, instead of Community Advisor, should be Community Consigliere.

• @raindog308 should be the picture of tom hagen instead.

• I've only been here two years so I'm not too familiar with pre-colocrossing days but I haven't seen anything come from them that I thought was shady. I've seen some pretty heavy CC hate that they didn't delete or edit.

I hear the LEB offers are CC dominant? That doesn't bother me either as I spend all my time on LET and read the offers here that anyone can post as long as a few simple rules are followed. Maybe I'm naive but I thought this forum was running fine. Lighten up and enjoy the place.

Thanked by 2netomx Ole_Juul
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Nekki s title needs to be "Community Thug"

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Eh, ya push for @Nekki.

• @mikho or @mpkossen can unsticky this now, we have quite a few applicants, I will let you know who will be joining us as soon as I can.

Thanked by 2Nekki badpatrick
This discussion has been closed.