Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Apple Products (iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The New Apple Products (iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Pro)

edited September 2015 in General

Yesterday, Apple announced the new iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, and the iPad Pro.

The new iPhone 6S will feature 3D touch, 12MP camera, and a new A9 processor. Nothing too crazy compared to what the iPhone 6 already offered.

The iPad Pro is a much bigger iPad that also introduces the new Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil (stylus) - which is probably Apple's way of competing with the Microsoft Surface. Pricing starts at $799 for the iPad Pro.

Thoughts? Love it or hate it? I'll probably stick with my iPhone 6 for now - I don't see any major upgrades in the 6S, but I will likely pick up an iPad Pro :)

Comments

• Watched it last night.

iPad Pro > sh*t msoft have done something right we need to copy
    iPhone 6s > Umm crap what shall we do? I know add the touch technology out of the Watch and a new camera and processor.
    ATV4 > urgh god we are really stuck now. Let's just give them an appstore.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2015

I might upgrade the phone just to get on the new monthly rental + yearly upgrade thing. Way better than what carriers are doing lately.

The pencil is what really impressed me. Anyone with a design background who has worked with crappy, overpriced drawing tablets should find it incredibly impressive and reasonably priced in comparison. I feel like Apple just made a big move for the creative crowd, after mostly ignoring them for a while. Real designers (meaning not just photoshop hobbyists) are going to jump on this I think. Can only be compared to Cintiq I think, far from a regular stylus.

• Not interested this time round, IMO;

The 6S isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the outlay.

The iPad Pro is potentially interesting as a MacBook replacement, but not until I actually need to replace the MacBook. If also like to see what Pro specific apps turn up to take advantage of the hardware first too. Can't see it as a replacement for my current iPad due.

The pencil looks great, but no artist, so useless to me.

The new TV looked nice but lacks the apps atm. Would like to see how well the voice search is integrated with other apps (Plex for example). Could be a winner for gaming if enough of the big boys start porting apps, although having to buy stuff once for phone/tablet and again for TV is unpalatable. Also about $50 too much IMO,

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I'll still keep my iPhone 5C. I don't need more power and I prefer smaller sized phones.

• I have my 6+ and I <3 it. I am more interested about the IOS9 then anything else.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • i still use Samsung Google Nexus S 2010 with CyanogenMod, i just make/receive phone calls only in rare occasions i switch on wifi for bus timetable :D

no apple's for me.

• @Mun said:
    I have my 6+ and I <3 it. I am more interested about the IOS9 then anything else.

iOS 9 is supported on all devices that supported iOS 8. Which is odd because means the iPad Mini 1 iPod touch 5, iPhone 4s & 5 have gone over the deadline of 3 strikes and your out however the iPhone 4 made 4 strikes.

• aldothetrollaldothetroll Member
    edited September 2015

@TropiThomas said:
    iOS 9 is supported on all devices that supported iOS 8. Which is odd because means the iPad Mini 1 iPod touch 5, iPhone 4s & 5 have gone over the deadline of 3 strikes and your out however the iPhone 4 made 4 strikes.

I guess the "make the phone run like shit so they upgrade" didn't work that well with iOS8

Thanked by 128Tom
  • TropiThomas said: iOS 9 is supported on all devices that supported iOS 8. Which is odd because means the iPad Mini 1 iPod touch 5, iPhone 4s & 5 have gone over the deadline of 3 strikes and your out however the iPhone 4 made 4 strikes.

What are you going on about? 3 strikes deadline?

Incidentally, the iPad 2 started on iOS4, so iOS9 this will be the 5th firmware it's supported.

• @TropiThomas said:

Your point? I know my phone is supported.....

• I am waiting for the skeletomorphic re-design of iOS.

On the subject of iOS 9, my battery life skyrocketed between the last beta build and the GM on the 5S. Still such a great phone.

• Jar said: On the subject of iOS 9, my battery life skyrocketed between the last beta build and the GM on the 5S. Still such a great phone.

That's good to hear, after the promises of better battery life and all the reports of it being worse during the beta, I was fearing the worst. I really wish I could get in on the beta tests.

• @Nekki said:
    Incidentally, the iPad 2 started on iOS4, so iOS9 this will be the 5th firmware it's supported.

Really? Apple used to have 3 strikes and your out. So 3 big OS updates 6,7,8 but 9 is coming into it. Apple used to have this deadline to kick you off and get you to buy a new device

• new iphone go good with new app iWastedMyMoney yes :)

• TropiThomas said: Really? Apple used to have 3 strikes and your out. So 3 big OS updates 6,7,8 but 9 is coming into it. Apple used to have this deadline to kick you off and get you to buy a new device

This has never been an actual thing. It just happened with a few devices, because the hardware leaps were so big, and obviously that's lessened over time.

• Nekki said: That's good to hear, after the promises of better battery life and all the reports of it being worse during the beta, I was fearing the worst. I really wish I could get in on the beta tests.

Hmm, for reasons of not running beta software on your phone?

• Shite. All of them. Mod can close this thread now.

Thanked by 1TriDoxiuM
  • Boltersdriveer said: Hmm, for reasons of not running beta software on your phone?

GFE isn't compatible with the iOS9 Beta builds yet.

• Nekki said: GFE

Girl Friend Experience? Or it is just me that uses those sites?

Thanked by 2William TriDoxiuM
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Lee said:
    Girl Friend Experience? Or it is just me that uses those sites?

Good For Enterprise, a BYoD application.

Tell me more about this other GFE?

• @Nekki said:
    Tell me more about this other GFE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girlfriend_experience

• Lee said: Girl Friend Experience? Or it is just me that uses those sites?

@Lee is expert on this matters :)

• William said: @Lee is expert on this matters :)

Pretence for money, works for me!

• Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • @Lee said:
    Pretence for money, works for me!

Pretty sure most of my career in IT is based around that very principle.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Wasn't there also Steven Jobs who said: "Who the fuck needs a Stylus?"

edited September 2015

Infinity580 said: Wasn't there also Steven Jobs who said: "Who the fuck needs a Stylus?"

Not sure if anyone broke the news to you, but he's no longer with the company. Also, this is not really just a stylus. It makes the iPad a legit contender for replacing this in the design world:

https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTK1300/?gclid=COzk-qaX7ccCFRCCaQodMeEHzA

Wacom is the only accepted standard for these kind of things right now and quite frankly, their products are overpriced crap. If the Apple Pencil is anything like what they were showing off in the demo, it is far from any stylus you've ever used. It's one thing to toss a pen together real quick that works on a touch screen, another to build a powered stylus with sensors that work together with sensors in the device to provide a streamlined experience for designers.

Meme it up, but that pencil is one of two things:

1. A lie.
    2. A game changer (even if not for you).

No one thinks Apple was the first to invent a pencil :P

• Infinity580 said: Wasn't there also Steven Jobs who said: "Who the fuck needs a Stylus?"

No, he said if your product had one, you have failed.

• To be honest, if you're on T-Mobile the iPhone 6S or 6S+ is a notable awesome upgrade as it'll have support for Band 12