Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@William said: It basically only means that paypal is not contacting me about unlocking it, so sending more is useless...

If you can't get the money I sent you out of paypal refund it and I'll send it a different way.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@kbeezie said: arrest warrant

Gee, hope you mean the search warrant...

• @Maounique said: Gee, hope you mean the search warrant...

why do you "hope"? wasn't he taken in after stuff was searched and confiscated, either way, is there a case number attached to his case? I assume there would be or he wouldn't be needing legal funds.

• Eh, Really? I thought US treated them as a bank.

I assumed the europe side of paypal was more strict then the US, due to not being a bank. :O

They're evil anyway.

@miTgiB said: bank in the EU

• @Jacob said: Eh, Really? I thought US treated them as a bank.

They're not treated as banks in the US, they're "Deposit Brokers" as such they're not held to the same rules as a bank, otherwise people would be winning lawsuits left and right over frozen funds.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Sooo whats the deal with this, too lazy to read

• off-topic: guys i can't read for shit someone tell me what happened on this thread now

on-topic: @William good luck and keep us posted

• We'll you know there is that thing called swift justice, so might take a few months.

• Any news on this?

• No, as said, it's waiting now.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited July 2014

Sorry for gravedigging but @William is this about your case? If yes that really sucks :/

• gsrdgrdghd said: Sorry for gravedigging but @William is this about your case? If yes that really sucks :/

Timing's about right. He just got the ruling and was talking about it yesterday or the day before on IRC.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

A number of transactions into that BTC wallet look like it could have come from money laundering. Interesting.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@viCommunications said:
    A number of transactions into that BTC wallet look like it could have come from money laundering. Interesting.

I'm a supermodel and lowend.co still runs silkroad.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

matthewvz said: lowend.co still runs silkroad.

Yup.

• viCommunications said: A number of transactions into that BTC wallet look like it could have come from money laundering. Interesting.

Do you even know what to look for?

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@William

Did you got out of this mess yet?

Rallias said: He just got the ruling and was talking about it yesterday or the day before on IRC.

And? What was the ruling? Not everyone is on IRC, so, please share.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Maounique said: And? What was the ruling? Not everyone is on IRC, so, please share.

If @William feels comfortable sharing the details on his ruling on LET, then I'll allow him to be the party to share it.

I thought rulings are public, if that is not the case in austria, then I am sorry.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

I will have so much fun now, going to get some tor exit nodes in Austria.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2014

I know how it feels to get raided by the police and get convicted. I wish @William all the best and i hope that he will get over it some day.

• rds100rds100 Member

A conviction isn't a final thing, i hope he can fight this back and the court ruling is changed by the upper instance.

What even...
    Well, I would have expected this in US, the fact it strikes so much closer to home makes it alarming. Austria used to be a relatively free country.

• godonggodong Member
    Thanked by 2rds100 djvdorp

Damn, at least they didnt manage to convince the judge he was actually raping kids in his basement.
    I see they managed to win the harassment too. It looks like they got what they wanted, chilling effects with no consequence for the law enforcers at all.

• rds100rds100 Member

This is bad, if William doesn't intend to appeal it, this probably sets a precedent in Austria which could make offering any kind of internet or other communication services illegal.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I feel terrible for him, however he cant really appeal anyway I think, from what I understand the charges now are based on being complicit and you cant run a tor exit or even a relay and claim you are not complicit to at least some degree.

I think the punishment is WAY WAY out of proportion though for first offence.

There should be no punishment. Every ISP KNOWS there is something illegal at any time running through the wires, this does not mean they close shop to stop enabling the criminals. The law should protect the people offering communications services from the police. This obviously forces a split between the official internet and the free one. The days where there will be a choice are closer and closer.

Thanked by 1Steve81
This discussion has been closed.