Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses

Comments

• @Freek said: Sorry to say but I won't be donating. Judging from all the news articles and info provided here in the topic, you get along just fine. Hang in there.

I'm not calling you out on anything and I'm not being offensive here, but the company he works for is doing fantastic, but this is a personal/individual gig that he's getting screwed for. AKA, he doesn't have bags and bags of money to cover his legal fees.

@Freek said: PS. Drugs are bad mmkay?

This entire statement just annoys me. I'm not saying drugs are really bad but (in my opinion) the amount that @William was found with I personally see no problem with (and I'm sure he doesn't do it all the time everytime).

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

Just a small note to say that I don't think that Maounique opinions must be censored (by me or himself) for the fact he work with me. The Maounique account here existed before we have begun working togheter and it will be the same if and when we don't anymore.
    If some people think that having strong opinion on some hot arguments can influence what and how we do our business, well I respect this opinion even if I think it isn't true.

That said, I think that history show us that religions had a relevant role in good and bad events and most of the bad things we condemn in other religions (I've Christian roots myself) were done in the name of God by our ancestors.

Ok to move the religion argument to the chest pit.

• @raindog308 said: The first clause about militias could be removed for all practical purposes.

I think we agree on the 2A, btw...just nitpicking here while a database import runs :-)

I also think we agree for the most part, except the first part of the 2A is very important, it gives us the right to overthrow by force our Government. We saw this in action during the Civil War, didn't work out so well for them, but the war was started about States Rights, it wasn't about slavery until history was re-written by the victors over the years.

@raindog308 said: Growing? I think the US "militia movement" has always been tiny and will always be so.

It may still be tiny, but from what I have learned, has increased in the number of militias over the past 20 years by a factor of 10. I hope it does not remain tiny, over my 30 years as an adult, I have seen the erosion of liberty in the US overall, some gains have been made for certain classes of people, but as an overall society, and the freedoms we espouse, we are failing miserably. It might not be in my lifetime, but I do not see our Government surviving in it's current form.

• @24khost said: @Kairus your logic is dumb logic.

Why? Do you follow every single law? Do you agree with every law? Do you think everyone follows the laws? Is it ever okay to break the law?

Maybe I'm immoral, but I have no problem breaking the law. I think that illegal things can be done using TOR that benefit society.

Here's a good question: Are you okay with say the personal accounts of a corrupt, powerful person being hacked into and then his corruptness exposed?

Or, what's your opinion on wikileaks? It's pretty damn illegal, but it exposes the corruptness of the U.S. (and other) governments. Are you okay with that?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Removed.

• @Corey said: Didn't he say he doesn't have the money to cover legal fees?

Well he's asking for it so why would he be doing that then if he has enough money to cover the fees? He even has two safe boxes with passports and stuff.
    Just expression my opinion here but why should a normal 20 year old IT guy need all this? Paranoia much or something else? Why? (Note: Did not read through complete topic yet, could have been answered already. Currently on page 3)

@HalfEatenPie said: This entire statement just annoys me. I'm not saying drugs are really bad but (in my opinion) the amount that @William was found with I personally see no problem with (and I'm sure he doesn't do it all the time everytime).

I'm against drugs since they finance crime in countries where they are illegal by law (preparing for shitstorm)

• @william paypal working again? Wanna donate some.

• @HalfEatenPie Nope not the stupidest thing you've read but probably close. Stay tuned

Laws are there for a reason. When people start seeing criminals getting away with things they start taking for granted that is acceptable. When speed limits were put into place they were put there to keep the honest people honest, orthers will disobey the speed limit regardless.

bastardisation of laws is not the root of what we are talking about here. More it is the fact that people need to be held accountable. If we just let everybody due what they want the world would be anarchy and you wouldn't have freedom of speech cause, if somebody didn't like your thoughts they just cut out your tounge and it is done.

Throwing out law, just cause you don't agree, doesn't make it right. Because it seems illogical to you, doesn't mean it is wrong.

I am not saying that TOR is wrong. I am saying that when you get down to the nitty gritty of things how much percentage wise of TOR traffic is for legal use and how much of it would be deemed illegal in 90% of countries. I would guess on the average over 50% would be for illegal purposes. My most likely guess is it would be 90% would be for illegal uses. So protect the 10% so that 90% can due illegal things. That is just a flawed logic at least to me.

Yes I try to follow the law as much as possible, why? because if you don't follow the law there are consequences. Do I agree with every law no. If I don't agree with the law I find somebody who will try and get it changed. Congress man, senator, govenor. Follow the proper channels. that normally goes smoother and you end up paying less.

Wikileaks guy is an idiot. Post classified information on the web, could have been a matter of national security. He's lucky he didn't just wind up dead. Not that I believe that is right but, we all know how the government spy stuff works.

@Kairus said: Maybe I'm immoral, but I have no problem breaking the law. I think that illegal things can be done using TOR that benefit society.

Please give me an example of something that benefits society please.

• @Voss said: William, care to provide us with an update?

Monday meeting with lawyer, nothing until then.

@djvdorp said: @william paypal working again? Wanna donate some.

Yes, i can receive again - not withdraw but thats ok for now.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: I have to assume that if @Maounique feels so strongly as to have no care about directly offending religious people on this forum for absolutely no reason,

Where did I attack religious "people" ? I attacked religion as a political entity that uses the state to impose its dogma on everyone.
    Most religions are in need of anonymity and hence Tor is very useful, if you think that providing them shelter is a crime against your god, fine, your opinion as long as you dont threaten anyone and you dont conduct your business regarding that.
    Other than that, I will stress again that only "state religion" is dangerous, when it corrupts normal state neutrality and uses it's legislative and enforcing powers to impose its "laws".
    It has nothing to do with you or other religious ppl that most are probably in minority and have to hide from the main religion-state.
    If you feel you have to protect their ways or that your god needs protection from my opinion, then I am sorry for you, but if you think I attack your god because I might not have been very careful with my words, then I am sorry, this was not my intention. I am not against any god, against any religious ppl per se, only those that use influence over the majority to force the minority obey their dogma are in my black book.

@Voss said: Now now ladies, take this to the Cest Pit. This is on Herr William's unfortunate encounter with Austrian law enforcement personnel.

Agreed, just needed to defend against his latest attack and prove I am not guilty of what he says I did.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Freek said: I'm against drugs since they finance crime in countries where they are illegal by law (preparing for shitstorm)

So really you're against criminalization of drugs, not drugs themselves.

• http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6321/free-willy-benefits-the-william-defense-fund-domain-auction-kvmpower-and-twitterads.net#Item_8

Free Willy! @William Hope what were doing helps. Waiting on the first amount to come in later tonight. Then What ever is made from this one.

• @William said: Yes, i can receive again - not withdraw but thats ok for now.

Prefer bank bookings, I am from NL :) ? @William
    Can you withdraw that money?

• This auction ends at 7pm CST.

• @djvdorp

He can use the money to pay the bills.
    And bills get sent AFTER the stuff is over, you know... :)

• @BronzeByte said: And bills get sent AFTER the stuff is over, you know... :)

And they usually have a due date which is around right after everything's been done.

If you know you're going to get hit with a big bill that you can't cover, wouldn't you prepare ASAP?

• @BronzeByte said: And bills get sent AFTER the stuff is over, you know... :)

Few attorneys would touch this with nothing down

• @miTgiB said: @BronzeByte said: And bills get sent AFTER the stuff is over, you know... :)

Few attorneys would touch this with nothing down

I doubt that contingency fee litigation is legal in Austria, so he will have to pay them, even if only $1.

• @someJoe said: I doubt that contingency fee litigation is legal in Austria

Even if it was, if you fail and your client goes to prison, what are your chances of collection?

• ReeRee Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: Visual transformations have squat to do with encryption.

I never said they do. I'm just trying to say that smart ideas can be implemented stupidly. Whether it's obfuscating an image with a lossless transformation, or using encryption improperly (which many smart people do).

@joepie91 said: Do you really think that someone running a TOR node to mask his activity would use such a simple, stupid, and ridiculously predictable password?

You make it sound like running a TOR node is rocket science. It can be setup in minutes. So yes, I guarantee some people capable of running TOR nodes are also perfectly capable of incorrectly using encryption to the point that it can be broken.

@joepie91 said: That is exactly what I'm saying. Target the producers instead.

My point is that until you investigate, you can't know whether the node operator is innocent, or a producer with a clever cover.

And I think it sets a dangerous precedent to say "anyone smart enough to run a TOR node couldn't possibly be a criminal -- and even if they are, they're too smart for us to catch anyway so we'll just let them keep on keeping on".

@Ree said: My point is that until you investigate, you can't know whether the node operator is innocent, or a producer with a clever cover.

They could have investigated the node for months before raiding him.

• Maounique said: They could have investigated the node for months before raiding him.

They could have (and possibly did). But it's pretty shoddy investigating if they don't also check his home equipment.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say I think William is guilty of anything. Just that as much as it sucks, I agree with the way the system works (at least in theory -- things like this have a way of turning into a witchhunt, and that's definitely a broken part of the system).

@Ree said: But it's pretty shoddy investigating if they don't also check his home equipment.

By checking the node you can see if he connects to it or not.
    If it was to use it as a frontend to hide his illegal traffic, then you would see connections.
    Personally I dont use Tor at all, not mine, nor other nodes, from time to time when I help install for someone I check speed and latency.

• @Maounique said: By checking the node you can see if he connects to it or not.

It would also be reasonable for a server administrator to connect to his own server to, you know, administrate. Connecting to the server itself doesn't prove anything.

• I saw the news on bbc site. That is bad situation to be in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20554788

@NickM said: Connecting to the server itself doesn't prove anything.

It does, because having control of the box you see what he is doing there.
    Besides, presuming you dont know, he cant download anything in a few bits over SSH if he is to admin it only and you can see he flow even if encrypted.
    If he was doing something, they would have known then, whent hey had control of the node and he didnt know that.
    This looks like a desperate attempt to find some proof to justify the action in the first place.

• @jarland said: I've received a clear message that it would be better not to risk hosting it with a provider who expresses bigotry for everyone to see.

"clear message" ? That's some convoluted deduction logic.
    A staff member's views on religion (or anything else) might not agree with yours, and he might have openly stated as much.
    But that's no reason to believe hosting religious (or any other legal) content at Prometeus would be a "risk".

The staff member is obviously posting in personal capacity. It would be absurd for a company as such to have a official standpoint on topics such as religion.

If anything, I'd be happy knowing this staff member actually fiercely defends individual right to free speech.
    He'd actually stand up for your right to express your religious views even though he might not agree with them.

p.s. - I do not work for any hosting company.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@Whoa Message me if you'd like, I'm finished with that discussion, won't be picking it up again.

This discussion has been closed.