Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Speedtest Server] A new script to speedtest and watch server info
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Speedtest Server] A new script to speedtest and watch server info

sayem314sayem314 Member
edited September 2015 in Tutorials

So I've created a bash script for VPS/Dedicated server to know basic information of your server and also test network speed from various location. Here is a example output from my Debian VPS of what you'll get from this script:

So if you like to test your server just simply run below code on server:

wget serverreview.cf/script/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

Above code tested on my Debian and CentOS server.

If you use ubuntu then run below code:

wget serverreview.cf/script/bench-u.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

Please let me know what should I add in next version of this script in comment.

Comments

• Maybe add ioping results to cover all not really accurate tests to check the performance of a VPS?

Thanked by 2doughmanes alaningus
  • The script that belongs to you seems to look a lot like another script around here. So you actually took freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh and modified it? Why not say that?

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @MCHPhil said:
    The script that belongs to you seems to look a lot like another script around here. So you actually took freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh and modified it? Why not say that?

You are kind of right, and it's not just modified from freevps.us script. I combine other code and I'll update it and make it even better.

• @Amitz said:
    Maybe add ioping results to cover all not really accurate tests to check the performance of a VPS?

I didn't understand you correctly, did you mean I should add I/O Ping test in this script?

• I'd remove the copyright crap then. You don't own anything here.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @MCHPhil said:
    I'd remove the copyright crap then. You don't own anything here.

I think freevps.us script doesn't have any copyright thing, that's why I looked at their scripts and created one better. And it's gonna update.

Thanked by 1Umut
  • You stole it though man. LOL. You added nothing to it that required any bit of thought. Anyone with half a brain and a text editor could add the "=========" crap. You give no credit to freevps, either.

• @sayem314 said:
    I think freevps.us script doesn't have any copyright thing, that's why I looked at their scripts and created one better. And it's gonna update.

Tell us any single thing which is better here? It will just waste more bandwidth.

• @Sady said:
    Tell us any single thing which is better here? It will just waste more bandwidth.

First thing more location (area based), 2nd I/O with or without cache, 3rd detailed ram info. 4th Total storage

• @MCHPhil said:
    You stole it though man. LOL. You added nothing to it that required any bit of thought. Anyone with half a brain and a text editor could add the "=========" crap. You give no credit to freevps, either.

I didn't stole their code, I looked at thier code once and I write on my own. And I wonder why didn't you make it earlier?

• @MCHPil @Sady I waste my 4hrs or so to write this. You use it or not it doesn't matter. I don't have any benefit.

• sayem314 said: I looked at thier code once and I write on my own.

Your code

cname=$( awk -F: '/model name/ {name=$2} END {print name}' /proc/cpuinfo ) cores=$( awk -F: '/model name/ {core++} END {print core}' /proc/cpuinfo ) freq=$( awk -F: ' /cpu MHz/ {freq=$2} END {print freq}' /proc/cpuinfo ) tram=$( free -m | awk 'NR==2 {print $2}' ) fram=$( free -m | awk 'NR==2 {print $4}' ) hdd=$( df -h | awk 'NR==2 {print $2}' ) swap=$( free -m | awk 'NR==4 {print $2}' ) up=$(uptime|awk '{ $1=$2=$(NF-6)=$(NF-5)=$(NF-4)=$(NF-3)=$(NF-2)=$(NF-1)=$NF=""; print }')

Freevps.us code

cname=$( awk -F: '/model name/ {name=$2} END {print name}' /proc/cpuinfo ) cores=$( awk -F: '/model name/ {core++} END {print core}' /proc/cpuinfo ) freq=$( awk -F: ' /cpu MHz/ {freq=$2} END {print freq}' /proc/cpuinfo ) tram=$( free -m | awk 'NR==2 {print $2}' ) swap=$( free -m | awk 'NR==4 {print $2}' ) up=$(uptime|awk '{ $1=$2=$(NF-6)=$(NF-5)=$(NF-4)=$(NF-3)=$(NF-2)=$(NF-1)=$NF=""; print }')

Same variable names?

sayem314 said: And I wonder why didn't you make it earlier?

Why is it even needed?

Sady said: It will just waste more bandwidth.

Thanked by 2BeardyUnixGuy Lee
  • @sayem314 said:
    MCHPil Sady I waste my 4hrs or so to write this.

No doubt.

• @MCHPhil said: Petabyte also use same variables for cpu/ram/freq info so what does tha mean?

• @sayem314 said:
    I didn't stole their code, I looked at thier code once and I write on my own.

Please don't tell that to us. Couple of lines are exactly same even variables on your script are same as freevps's one.
    Just my suggestion if you're learning bash, write codes which you need. I'm learning too & so far I've wrote scripts for wordpress installation (not something like wp-cli or something but simply to automate things), plugins replacement for hacked worpdress, mysql database creator etc.

• @sayem314 said:
    MCHPhil said: Petabyte also use same variables for cpu/ram/freq info so what does tha mean?

I'd say they (Petabyet) added a lot more value to it than you have.

• not really a benchmark if does not test the likes of core performance

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited September 2015

Just for fun:

@Hidden_Refuge

I don't think you need to worry about anyone taking your script and having copyright issues.

Though you may want to watch your inbox for the copyright notices you receive.

• lol @ copyright wars over LEB scripts

Thanked by 1BensDaMan
  • Plus, the newest update on the bench script has already been released: https://github.com/hidden-refuge/fvps-bench

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Just for fun:

Hidden_Refuge

I don't think you need to worry about anyone taking your script and having copyright issues.

Though you may want to watch your inbox for the copyright notices you receive.

Hmm?

• Agh, sorry, the rest of my comment was meant for the @OP, just tagged you in to see if you had an opinion.

• It's okay to steal/modified others non license stuff but keep it for yourself just don't publicize your shit

• @Amitz said:
    Maybe add ioping results to cover all not really accurate tests to check the performance of a VPS?

What I like to do is get the "average" of e.g. network speed, IO speed, making it more accurate.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• Originality is overrated.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Pretty useless with no cpu benchmarking at all.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited September 2015

If you respect me/us (FreeVPS) you can use my/our script under the right license from Github that I included: https://github.com/hidden-refuge/fvps-bench/blob/master/LICENSE

You contacted me on FreeVPS and I replied.

• This is one example where the OP should actually be banned. He is not only stealing code, but also failing to give the proper credits to the original script's owner.

• @luissousa said:
    This is one example where the OP should actually be banned. He is not only stealing code, but also failing to give the proper credits to the original script's owner.

I had a chat with Hidden Refuge, He said No problem. I'm upgrading this script from FVPS 2.0 and I'll give them credits they deserve.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil