Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from ChicagoVPS!!!! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from ChicagoVPS!!!!

13»

Comments

• Nekki said: Because Ramnode never had everything go to shit?

The ONLY solution to prevent data loss is backups, not other providers.

They keep off-site backups. :)

• @Jeffrey said:

You sure about that? Their site says different.

Regardless, a provider's backup shouldn't be relied upon, ever. If you think that's sufficient....well I look forward to your thread complaining about data loss.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said:

@Nekki said:
    Regardless, a provider's backup shouldn't be relied upon, ever. If you think that's sufficient....well I look forward to your thread complaining about data loss.

they used to: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=9 but not any longer

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

Relying on provider backups is stupid as foop anyway.
    //Edit: Narf, I just saw that this has been stated more than clearly already.

@mikho: What is a "Super Moderator" by the way? Like a Moderator, just more super?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Obviously you know this, but I didn't.

moderator = moderates a specific forum(s) he is assigned to
    super moderator = moderates all forums, whether he is assigned to them or not
    administrator = moderates all forums and can do administrative tasks within the vbulletin admin control panel, as well as the one who assigns who the mods and super mods will be

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-sales-and-feedback/vbulletin-pre-sales-questions/37116-what-is-the-difference-between-a-moderator-super-moderator-and-an-administrator

This is vanilla, but I guess we can expect "sub moderators"?

Amitz said: Relying on provider backups is stupid as foop anyway.

//Edit: Narf, I just saw that this has been stated more than clearly already.@mikho: What is a "Super Moderator" by the way? Like a Moderator, just more super?

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

@Amitz said:
    mikho: What is a "Super Moderator" by the way? Like a Moderator, just more super?

I'm sure the details will be public soon anyways.
    There are changes happening soon (I hope), one of the changes is giving the moderators different security settings.
    A "super moderator" is no different then a moderator was before. New moderators will start with less privileges and then it is possible to "work their way up". My suggestion was that we should call them banter bait but that wasn't accepted. :)

Thanked by 3Nekki Lee Pwner
  • mikho said: they used to:

Oh man, well, I'm not up to date on the hosting world, lol.

• Jeffrey said: Oh man, well, I'm not up to date on the hosting world, lol.

Yes, lol indeed.

• you should have external backup , i use rackspace

• BensDaManBensDaMan Member
    edited September 2015

jsergio123 said: the current members of LET might already now about CVPS but what about new members

It's hard to avoid knowing about CVPS when it comes to the virtual hosting industry; I had known about CVPS for /years/ before I found LET, posting here just makes you look incompetent and silly. See attached articles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law_of_business_balance

"The common law of business balance is the principle that one cannot pay a little and get a lot. In addition, paying a cheap price will not guarantee the buyer will receive a product of high quality value."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversification_(finance)

The simplest example of diversification is provided by the proverb "Don't put all your eggs in one basket". Dropping the basket will break all the eggs. Placing each egg in a different basket is more diversified. There is more risk of losing one egg, but less risk of losing all of them.

• Well throwing about quotes like these does not mean they are right, neither does it make you look anything other than a tit.

You can indeed pay a little and get a lot with high quality. It depends on who you choose. I have several very cheap services that I use for testing that have over delivered based on cost, service and performance. And that is based on more than a years service.

Thanked by 2GM2015 BensDaMan
  • I actually used them about two years ago, I didn't have much of a problem with them. This is pretty much news to me, or possible because I never really knew much about backing up my servers two years ago. Hopefully they get things right, do they not offer quick backups?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yep, been a while since we stopped (and emailed everyone at the time). We plan to reinstate some form of backup options at some point.

SoonTM

• jsergio123jsergio123 Member
    edited September 2015

@BensDaMan and the majority of you sound dumb. You can sit here and tell me its already known about CVPS which might be the case and I am wrong for making a review about CVPS. This is a review website is it not? I made a review based on my personal experiences with them. This stops them from saying they corrected their issues from the past and now are a good quality provider, correct? Or is LET more about letting trolls and flamers come together to bash their users and providers?

@everyone who keeps talking about backups. I have backups, my data is safe. It's not about backing up my data. It's about my time involved with setting up all my services, its about restoring all the virtual servers, its about all the down time. Eff a backup!

• smansman Member
    edited September 2015

I always get a kick out of these guys threatening to sue or whatever over a $10 a month VPS....lol. I'm sure they are quaking in their boots over that threat.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited September 2015

Nothing new here, they even sell your customer data (IntenseNode for example).

Lee said: You can indeed pay a little and get a lot with high quality. It depends on who you choose. I have several very cheap services that I use for testing that have over delivered based on cost, service and performance. And that is based on more than a years service.

100% agree. I just bought BuyVM several hours ago and rebooting and getting live updates of my ram/bandwidth/and cpu power every other 2 seconds in their control panel is amazing. Nonetheless getting to play around within a Xeon cpu is not bad either. (I only get 1 virtual core, but it's whatever) I paid $1.53 and more than happy.

• First off, thank you for your review! It is very insightful to see that even though there has been many attempts by chris stating that his company is now "better" reviews like this prove him wrong.

The rest of the idiots bickering at you are doing this because they have heard it a thousand times. Plus what harm is in acting like a bunch of a--holes to someone they don't even know over the internet. They probably even think it is a sport.

Continuing... I have long thought it best for this community to ban CVPS, but this forum and its staff are paid for by ColoCrossing, whom hosts CVPS. As such former admins of this forum "ahem" like to insult any criticism of CC.

Finally,

<3 you Nekki

• Finally,

<3 you Nekki

Hello gorgeous.

• @Nekki said:

Ooh quotes still broken....

Anyways how you been?

• @Mun said:
    Anyways how you been?

Same as ever, swearing at newbies here, terrorising providers there....to what do we owe this rare pleasure?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Got a VPS that acts as a VPN at their New Jersey location, it has been having some issues lately.

• @Nekki said:

Sounds like fun! You should add some "acting like a dominatrix" to your skills as well on LET ;)

• @sman said:
    I always get a kick out of these guys threatening to sue or whatever over a $10 a month VPS....lol. I'm sure they are quaking in their boots over that threat.

That was meant as a joke but I seen the humor was going to not be understood so i quickly removed it. Plus I'm sure in their TOS and Agreements(that I didn't bother to read) there is probably a clause that would protect them from such things anyway.

@joodle here is a screenshot from yesterday despite the fact that they keep telling me they are suspending the abusing VM's.