Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET SSL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET SSL

brycebryce Member
edited September 2015 in General

Could I ask kindly for SSL on lowendtalk.com? I realize this takes effort. Can money, time or bandwith be donated to such a cause?

Regards
bryce

LET SSL
  1. Would you prefer LET with HTTPS?82 votes
    1. Yes, I'd like to see that.
      85.37%
    2. No, there is no need.
      14.63%

Comments

• It's too expensive $4 per year.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This has already been discussed in the past. Not yet.

• It's coming Friday.

• And here we go again. Wonder how long this thread will go this time.

• bryce said: Could I ask kindly for SSL on lowendtalk.com? I realize this takes effort. Can money, time or bandwith be donated to such a cause?

The current ad system does not place nice with SSL, so until such time as the ad system is replaced or the current one is upgraded, no SSL.

I (like many others I suspect) are not motivated enough by the lack of SSL to donate money just so CC can pay for an SSL-supported ad system.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You can donate any amount to my paypal and I promise to do my best to enable ssl.

• What @Nekki said, check the previous suggestion threads or open a new issue on the github (I think that is how suggestions are meant to be put forward now).

• @Nekki said:
    The current ad system

Wait, the site has ads? :o With ABP on, I keep forgetting about them.

• Ok sorry to have reopened this, I did not look for previous discussions.

• With all the shit happening, SSL is a good move. Plus better rank on google for https pages. A free one from wosign will do tbh... and cloudflare has strict ssl support.

• n0my said: A free one from wosign will do tbh... and cloudflare has strict ssl support.

You've missed the point, see my post above explaining the situation; if CC decide to do something with SSL, I'm sure they'll manage to stump up for a decent cert.

• ColoCrossing is installing it the same day that they enable IPv6. No worries, any day now.

Thanked by 2William ucxo
  • BSA now supports SSL so that excuse isn't valid anymore:

Thanked by 2rm_ Nickk
  • Better motivation would be if we all block ads until they sort it ;)

• @jbiloh See @gsrdgrdghd's post above? I assume that BSA was the only barrier to full site encryption?

• @Nekki said:
    jbiloh See gsrdgrdghd's post above? I assume that BSA was the only barrier to full site encryption?

It's not. The firewall/anti-DDoS protection is another one. I don't know the specifics, but that's what I've been told.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited September 2015

It's coming, just after IPv6 is supported.

Thanked by 1William
  • mpkossen said: It's not. The firewall/anti-DDoS protection is another one. I don't know the specifics, but that's what I've been told.

I can (to a degree) understand the DDoS mitigation; I'm assuming that means switching DNS or something?

A firewall preventing serving a site fully encrypted is an odd one though.

• LET is behind cloudflare anyway, from what I understand enabling SSL is literally a click in the CloudFlare panel. Even terminating SSL at CloudFlare would be a huge step in the right direction as it would protect endusers in open WIFIs

• gsrdgrdghd said: LET is behind cloudflare anyway, from what I understand enabling SSL is literally a click in the CloudFlare panel.

I'm assuming they have something a bit more heavy-duty than that offered by CF.

• I don't see ads because I block em. ABP FTW.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

Nekki said: I can (to a degree) understand the DDoS mitigation; I'm assuming that means switching DNS or something?

It means whatever appliance they use - notably the case with the crap RioRey is - does not support L7 filtering with SSL (aka "Man in the middle").

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Nekki said: I'm assuming they have something a bit more heavy-duty than that offered by CF.

Doesn't CloudFlare Business filter out DDoS attacks properly?

• gsrdgrdghd said: Doesn't CloudFlare Business filter out DDoS attacks properly?

I doubt it's up to much. Never heard of them being used by anyone serious about wanting protection.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

LET and LEB are protected by both CF and our RioRey deployment. I'll ping BSA and see if they are officially supporting SSL now. If they are, we'll re-examine things to see if we can implement SSL.

• @jbiloh I vote LET without www too. ;)

Thanked by 3n0my sambling Nickk
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited September 2015

I vote LET for a working email notifications system.

• jbiloh said: LET and LEB are protected by both CF and our RioRey deployment. I'll ping BSA and see if they are officially supporting SSL now. If they are, we'll re-examine things to see if we can implement SSL.

Allow me to save you the trouble:

http://support.buysellads.com/knowledge_base/topics/does-your-ad-code-work-in-https-pages

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

TheOnlyDK said: I vote LET for a working email notifications system.

What trouble are you having?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

TheOnlyDK said: I vote LET for a working email notifications system.

It sort of works, except that my 2 year old plea to re-enable full post content in E-Mail notifications still hasn't been addressed.