Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asia VPSs / torrenting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Asia VPSs / torrenting?

Hi,

I want to share a VPS with friends to VPN to. I dont want the service suspended though after the first person does something stupid (mainly torrenting or whatever kids use these days?). Do you have any recommendations on affordable providers in Asia with low spec VPNs but good network / bandwith?

Regards
bryce

Comments

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Connectivity to which country in Asia is important?

• brycebryce Member
    edited August 2015

Hong Kong with good connectivity to the rest of the world / outside Asia would be nice.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

DO SG should fit well. I don't think they suspend right away just for torrenting, most likely they'd contact you first (and only suspend if they get abuse reports repeatedly).

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar can you enlighten us.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    jar can you enlighten us.

Fucking hell man, don't ask him things like that in public.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

TinyTunnel_Tom said: @jar can you enlighten us.

Really?

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited August 2015

transit pricing is significantly more expensive in Asia. Compared with the benchmark of $10/Mbps in North America and Europe, Asia's transit pricing is approximately 7x as expensive ($70/Mbps, based on the benchmark). When peering is taken into account, however, the effective price of bandwidth in the region is $32/Mbps. There are three primary reasons transit is so much more expensive in Asia. First, there is less competition, and a greater number of large monopoly providers. Second, the market for Internet services is less mature. And finally, if you look at a map of Asia you’ll see a lot of one thing: water. Running undersea cabling is more expensive than running fiber optic cable across land so transit pricing offsets the cost of the infrastructure to move bytes.

Source : https://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

Also when it comes to torrenting on a VPS there is a high chance of gettings the VPS suspended for disk I/O abuse .

• That's not an accurate information. $10/mbps is too high price for Europe nowadays. I imagine it's a too high price for USA too.

• To clarify: I dont plan on torrenting. I just cant guarantee that someone wont use a torrent client VPNing through the server.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@bryce said:
    To clarify: I dont plan on torrenting. I just cant guarantee that someone wont use a torrent client VPNing through the server.

So don't let them have the VPN then.

I let one of my mates use a VPN once for 'private browsing'. I figured he meant pr0n, but he smashed 100GB over the weekend. He swore if wasn't him but when I showed him the VPN logs he instead claimed 'his son must have left a torrent going overnight' :-/

Thanked by 3Pwner netomx vimalware
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

rds100 said: That's not an accurate information. $10/mbps is too high price for Europe nowadays. I imagine it's a too high price for USA too.

Yea, 5-10$ for Asia is nowadays realistic if you have higher commit.

• hienhien Member

@bryce : I've just sent you an offer, please check your inbox if it meets your requirements.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    jar can you enlighten us.

Please no torrenting, except those nice legal Linux distros lol :)

Thanked by 2netomx GM2015
  • @Jar said:
    Please no torrenting, except those nice legal Linux distros lol :)

Of course dear :P

• DO SG!

• You want to setup a VPN yourself on a VPS?
    Why not just take an account at https://vpn.asia for example?

• Are there specific reasons for recommending the DO SG location? I have high hopes for their Japan plans.

edited August 2015

bryce said: Are there specific reasons for recommending the DO SG location? I have high hopes for their Japan plans.

DO does not have a Japan location.

As for why Singapore, as you said

bryce said: good connectivity to the rest of the world / outside Asia would be nice.

SG has a better connectivity to Europe than HK and Japan, and comparable with those connectivity to the US. Also it's in the center of the larger Asia region, so should be a good choice to reach all the way from India to Japan and from Hong Kong to Australia (at least to some nicer AU ISPs which peer in SG/HK and not just in LA).

• If you can promise no torrents

http://lowendspirit.com

• I cant, that is the whole point of this topic. @rm_ no Japan location YET.

edited August 2015

bryce said: no Japan location YET.

And not even remotely on the radar: https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/6965695-datacenter-in-japan
    If you have any insider info maybe even with plans and dates, by all means do share.

Here's an official statement about that, and it says "nope":
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/do-we-have-plans-to-build-a-datacenter-in-japan

• brycebryce Member
    edited August 2015

I know, but if the voting points mean anything to them they should ;-) I like vultr and linode as well, but I dont know how they handle copyright issues.

• rokokrokok Member
    edited September 2015

AirVPN has Singapore, seems best for me (Leaseweb Singapore) not sure where to find vps provider use leaseweb singapore :D

rokok said: not sure where to find vps provider use leaseweb singapore

http://littlehappycloud.net/singapore/ for example.

• Any provider provide vps with IPv4 ? I'm interested ^_^

• I'm on the same boat. I will be looking for personal VPS for torrent in the near future. Still trying to exhaust my credits with JustSeed.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

@rokok said:
    Any provider provide vps with IPv4 ? I'm interested ^_^

Hi @rokok, we will do it if someone here doesn't seem to be interested and take our offers ;)

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2015

@alexanderm (hostus) and hosthatch (forgot the guy's name on LET) have HK locations, not sure about torrents tho

• Why not vultr's Japan location, if you don't like DO Singapore?

Obv. you wouldn't want to go overboard w/ these "possible" torrents, and set reasonable downstream/upstream limits

• If you are so worried that some of your "friends" might abuse the service with torrents, maybe create firewall / port restrictions - only allow ports 80, 443 and 53 for them. This way they will still be able to browse the internet, but torrents would not work.