Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping

Comments

• Odroid has a wiki on how to build debian odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_ubuntu_minimal
    You still need to use some binaries though,

• @Ole_Juul I have been running rasberian on my Pi A (original uk model) since it came out,
    I have always just 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' and have never had an issue or had to reinstall.
    You can also run the 'rpi-update' to update the firmware/binaries/bootloaded

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • bohdans said: I have always just 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' and have never had an issue or had to reinstall.

Did you remove the default user and uninstall sudo? I thought not. :)

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited January 2016

@KuJoe have you tried fiddling with these options : http://elinux.org/RPiconfig hdmi_safe is a good place to start, especially if you suspect the board may be damaged.

HDMI and DVI are very nearly the same thing video-wise, just some mode differences. I suspect those rascally Chinese clone makers haven't tested quite as many monitors as the Raspberry Pi makers did ;)

Also - does anyone know if any of these boards support USB device (gadget) mode like the pi zero? I do see OTG ports...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@tehdan I don't see a config.txt file on the SD card like I do on the Raspberry Pis.

• Ah, what are you running on it - can you hack the kernel cmd line?

@tehdan said:
    Ah, what are you running on it - can you hack the kernel cmd line?

I tried Lubuntu, Fedora, and Raspbian without any luck.

• tehdan said: HDMI and DVI are very nearly the same thing video-wise, just some mode differences.

Watch out for the digital only ones (DVI-d) as you need an active converter to go to analog. The DVI-a are analogue only, but the DVI-i can do both. Either of those will convert to VGA with a cheap passive converter. However, the output of the RPi is digital so will need an active converter, and that costs a couple of times the price of the RPi.

• Anybody tried pine64?

@noaman said:
    Anybody tried pine64?

I don't think they start shipping until next month. I won't get mine until March. :(

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @kujoe
    I got an orangepiplus...I was going to buy this...but I don't really have any good use to it...
    Currently
    A deluge server
    A vncserver
    An nginx server
    A webui for aria

Any other userage?
    BTW I dont think It could handle a game server :-(

@noaman said:
    kujoe
    I got an orangepiplus...I was going to buy this...but I don't really have any good use to it...
    Currently
    A deluge server
    A vncserver
    An nginx server
    A webui for aria

Any other userage?
    BTW I dont think It could handle a game server :-(

No clue, once it's released we'll see what it's capable of.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

noaman said: game server

what gameserver?

Oh wow, I completely forgot that the Orange Pi Plus has 8GB of storage built in. I was just about to give it away but that alone makes me want to get it working.

• @KuJoe said:
    Oh wow, I completely forgot that the Orange Pi Plus has 8GB of storage built in. I was just about to give it away but that alone makes me want to get it working.

Have you tried these images? They work perfectly for me. Make sure you set the resolution and output type correctly with the script.bin.xxxx

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=342

• @pbgben said:
    Orange Pi PC - Needed a HDMI monitor as hdmi>dvi is not supported :(

Get a HDMI to DVI converter. Welcome to eBay, my friend :)

http://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/201416119578

http://www.ebay.ca/ulk/itm/390650319160

Thanked by 1netomx
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

So tempted to get one of these

• edited January 2016

I'm like willing to have odroid best version ( xu4) but when I add all the toys I'm willing to add like big emcc wifi dongle and all the sh. makes me think if it will be worth spending such amount of money .
    I also would have to deal with customs who rip you off 50% of goods value haha.
    Edit: don't feel in the mood to hold ny expectations and then the long wait and the customs guy asking to be bribed

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I have, tried both. Didn't work. I have since seen that you can modify the settings but its still a pain.

• pbgben said: I have, tried both. Didn't work. I have since seen that you can modify the settings but its still a pain.

Of course they don't work. They're just connecting digital to digital. And despite what some people say, modifying the settings isn't going to make a digital output into an analogue one. People just get so confused about this for some reason. I too got confused by the gossip, but clarified with the board's developer who reiterates that there is no analogue video output from the razzie. Period. Has this changed with the Orange?

Simply speaking, those adapters will only allow you to connect to a monitor with digital input. They will NOT allow you to connect to VGA monitors.

• Hi
    Is there any way to access the pc/data using the micro usb port on the Pi?
    Like connecting a male Standard usb to a standard computer and the other micro usb to the pi?

• KuJoe said: ... I was just about to give it away but that alone makes me want to get it working....

Bah! Getting it working is overrated. Mail it to me, I'll make use of it :)

• edited February 2016

FYI Coming soon - March 2, 2016 at US$40... ODROID-C2 64-bit quad core Cortex-A53 @ 2GHz

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=18683

@KuJoe

Thanked by 2aglodek KuJoe

Thanks @rajprakash for the heads up! I wonder how it will compare to my PINE64 I ordered. I'll definitely order the ODroid C2 either way because my C1, C1+, and U2 are amazing and work so much better than my RPis, Orange Pi, and Banana Pi. :)

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2016

@KuJoe Do they work better than the rPI2?

@Traffic said:
    KuJoe Do they work better than the rPI2?

The C1s perform better on paper and feel more responsive in real-world usage over the Raspberry Pis. Originally I was using the RPi2 as a thin client but then I switched RDP clients and the C1s perform just as good. I originally said the RPis were more stable, but having checked my Observium recently I found that isn't the case and my RPi2 was offline a lot (probably the wireless going to sleep even with measures in place to prevent it, but still off the network until I power cycled it).

The only issue I have with the ODroids is the display compatibility, I hate having to edit the boot config file to change the resolution to get it to go fullscreen on my monitor and old LCD TV but that's a minor inconvenience and if you only use it on one display it's not an issue after the first edit. The RPis work on any display I've thrown at it without any issues.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • hoslerhosler Member
    edited February 2016

gentoo pi is best pi. keeps me warm.

• KuJoe said: I wonder how it will compare to my PINE64

Both have quad core A53 CPUs, but the ODROID is clocked at 2.0Ghz.
    Pine64 has Mali 400 M2 GPU, ODROID has Mali 450 M3.
    Pine64 (depending on which you bought) is 0.5/1/2GB, ODROID is 2GB RAM.
    Pine64 (depending) has 10/100, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, ODROID same.
    Both are 4k video capable.

So I'd say Pine64 is nearly as capable as the ODROID-C2. But the Pine at $15 is about 1/3 cheaper.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rajprakash said:
    So I'd say Pine64 is nearly as capable as the ODROID-C2. But the Pine at $15 is about 1/3 cheaper.

But I have tested Odroid and it is good quality

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Agree. I love my C1 and XU4.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog