Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Orange Pi quad core ARM board now from $15+shipping

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Orange Pi PC - Needed a HDMI monitor as hdmi>dvi is not supported :(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@GM2015 said:
    what os are you running on the devices?

Ubuntu and Android for the ODroids, Raspbian for the RPi2.

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Do any of these small ARM boards actually work with vanilla Linux distros? If I have to rely on the manufacturer for updates i'll either never get any or they might be backdoored

I've read that the ARM version of Fedora is supported by the Pi devices (Raspberry, Banana, and Orange) but haven't had any luck getting it to boot yet but @pbgben might have answered my question why.

@pbgben said:

I didn't read this anywhere but this would explain why I can't get it to boot on any of my test monitors. I'll bring them all into my living room to test them on my TV now.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • I thought all those other boards supported booting from a freshly "dd"-d sd card as the rpi2 does.

KuJoe said: I didn't read this anywhere but this would explain why I can't get it to boot on any of my test monitors. I'll bring them all into my living room to test them on my TV now.

@KuJoe said:

Im just setting up mine with lubuntu. Im hoping to be able to deploy these to customer locations to be able to test things locally "My internet is slow" and other silly little things that allways turn out to be a 3-rd parties fault. :)

@GM2015 said:
    I thought all those other boards supported booting from a freshly "dd"-d sd card as the rpi2 does.

I've been using various tools in Windows to create the SD cards, I'm going to get Fedora installed on one of my PCs eventually so might as well do it sooner than later.

Just tried both my Orange Pi and Banana Pi on my LCD TV without any luck. Going to try a couple different OSes to see if any of them work before I go find another TV and HDMI cable.

• I've used the raspberrypi.org's windows tutorial last summer and got it working after 2-3 tries. All the tools they suggest in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/windows.md are good.

I don't know if they work on other kinds of boards though.

KuJoe said: I've been using various tools in Windows to create the SD cards, I'm going to get Fedora installed on one of my PCs eventually so might as well do it sooner than later.

Just tried both my Orange Pi and Banana Pi on my LCD TV without any luck. Going to try a couple different OSes to see if any of them work before I go find another TV and HDMI cable.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Do any of these small ARM boards actually work with vanilla Linux distros?

All do, most just use a custom kernel and bootloader. And both typically come with source code and can be compiled from scratch (except the bootloader of RPi).

Needed a HDMI monitor as hdmi>dvi

Maybe it tries to set some resolution your monitor considers weird and doesn't support, such as 1280x720.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited January 2016

I 've been using the debian image a user has posted on the orange forums - orange pi (pc) - and people seemed happy with. Worked fine first time.

Below is a problem I found with my orange pi PC but doubt it has anything to do with the OS (worked fine as a samba server for ~ 2weeks).

Have the orange pi pc with the same case (had to push it a bit to fit) & the 3A charger that most sites sell it with.

It has frozen twice (doesn't respond on pings) after transfering 20G+ of files to an attached USB hdd.

Shouldn't be ram as it would have kicked in earlier, shouldn't be disk as I let badblocks run for 30hours on the disk and was fine & smart info before and after were same and ok.

So @pbgben might it be overheating? :P Have you done anything that uses a stable amount of cpu (~ 1.5 load just from the sftp transfers)?

Got the Banana Pi Pro to boot on my TV with the Raspbian OS, still no luck with the Orange Pi Plus but at least now I'm getting a real message (Unsupported signal) and not the default one.

• @pbgben said:

You can get HDMI to VGA adaptors, I've had one work with an Amazon FireTV Stick so I'd imagine it would probably work with this.

• dragon2611 said: You can get HDMI to VGA adaptors, I've had one work with an Amazon FireTV Stick so I'd imagine it would probably work with this.

That's a whole different situation because you're converting from digital to analog. I'm curious as to why HDMI -> DVI would fail...Isn't that supposed to leave the signal untouched?

Mine booted in 720p so that could be your issue. I will try a belkin HDMI>vga I have and see if it works.

@pbgben said:
    Mine booted in 720p so that could be your issue. I will try a belkin HDMI>vga I have and see if it works.

It worked, still 720p though

• @jemaltz said:
    That's a whole different situation because you're converting from digital to analog. I'm curious as to why HDMI -> DVI would fail...Isn't that supposed to leave the signal untouched?

Yes but most monitor's have a VGA input and the adaptors themselves are fairly cheap (Although maybe not in comparison to a $15 board)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Why no one is fiddling with something like the xu4 ?

• DanDan Member

@pbgben Does that heatsink actually help? Ordered a few heatsinks to try it out. By the way, looking to stock up on Orange Pi PCs now that they are discontinued, if you want to sell them I'll buy, will also buy cases & power adapters too.

• xyzxyz Member

pbgben said: Orange Pi PC - Needed a HDMI monitor as hdmi>dvi is not supported :(

DVI definitely does work, but you may need to edit the config files for it to do so. Orange Pi can be a bit fiddly to get working unfortunately.

rm_ said: All do, most just use a custom kernel and bootloader.

A downside of non-mainline support is that driver support can be sketchy, and you can be stuck on an old kernel. (particularly true for the Orange Pi boards)

• edited January 2016

inthecloudblog said: Why no one is fiddling with something like the xu4 ?

I've got a XU4 and it's a wonderful little box. I had really enjoyed the C1 for last year, but when I received the XU4 back in Nov/Dec timeframe, it really changed my mind on ARM boards being a daily driver PC. It's significantly faster that the C1 with the same Debian image.

• Can't wait for my RPi0 to show up from Ameridroid!

• is the heatsink required? ambient temp in the room is like 17 celcious...

@inthecloudblog said:
    Why no one is fiddling with something like the xu4 ?

For me it's cost. I've kept my budget at ~$50 because for anything more than that I can have an x86 CPU.

Also a quick update, I was able to get my Banana Pi Pro booting on all of my monitors/TVs after re-downloading Raspbian and installing it on a new SD card. Still no luck on my Orange Pi but I'm downloading other OS options to see if those work.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Looks like the raspbian jessie has a minimal image now without x. https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I've built deluge recent version from source according to some online tutorial and my whole vnc desktop on the pi has become a mess.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    Also a quick update, I was able to get my Banana Pi Pro booting on all of my monitors/TVs after re-downloading Raspbian and installing it on a new SD card. Still no luck on my Orange Pi but I'm downloading other OS options to see if those work.

I don't know why they can't make something like the CHIP, including the price. I want a VGA Linux board <$20

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited January 2016

I have a small collection of these small ARM based boards,
    Raspberry-Pi (A,B,B+and 2) - The best supported, If you want to image and use a device, this is what you buy.
    Odroid C1 (I have 2 of the original) - The best 'bang for buck'. If you get the flash as well it leaves the Pi for dead in speed.
    Odroid XU4 - This thing is FAST! but for the money I would go an Intel Stick next time.
    Orange PC - The 'budget' option, I bought 2, can be a bit fiddly to get going, performance is on par with a Pi 2 once you get it going.

To give you some ideas of where they 'sit' in my little world.
    Pi2 - Media PC (Openelec) - with the parents, paired with a Flirc Remote it never fails and never locks up.
    Odroid C1 - Media PC (Openelec) - only just fixed the graphics issues in kodi a few weeks ago, is faster then the PI2 but less stable (locks up sometimes), I use this one with the build in InfraRed and remote from hardkernel.
    Orange PC - Runs Linux iso torrents and sorts them into the correct location in my NAS for Kodi to pick up and load.

EDIT: I should note, I have taken a 'low power' attitude currently (last 2 years) after some large power bills.
    So I run no PC's/Servers 24/7 at home. If I need something 24/7 its either a VPS/Dedi hosted, or a ARM box at home.

I've been trying different OS options and different cables across two different displays (720p LCD TV w/HDMI and 27" LCD Monitor w/o HDMI) and cannot get the Orange Pi Plus to work. I see if getting a DHCP IP address when it boots but no display. My monitor just shows "No signal" and my TV shows an error to check the output because the signal is "Unsupported", guess I'll need to get a new monitor with an HDMI input and drop the HDMI -> DVI converters.

• anyone been able to boot pi plus 2 ?
    I ordered some monitor cables but those haven't came yet :/ rip

• @bohdans said:
    Orange PC - Runs Linux iso torrents and sorts them into the correct location in my NAS for Kodi to pick up and load.

That's interesting, which Kodi plugin do you use to load the Linux iso I am curious? And how about iso's with AC3 audio, can the Pi2 load these as well?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

There's a new board: Orange Pi One, for $9.99

Thanked by 1jeromeza
  • gsrdgrdghd said: Do any of these small ARM boards actually work with vanilla Linux distros? If I have to rely on the manufacturer for updates i'll either never get any or they might be backdoored

I've got an older RPi and there are supposedly other distros that work, but they're more trouble. I ended up installing Raspbian again although I hate it, but at least it's a lot like Debian. The problem with it is that when you do an upgrade, you can bork the system. I uninstalled sudo, made a root account and added a new user, followed by removing THEIR chosen user. An update subsequently locked me out and I had to reinstall. I was NOT amused.

• I currently use SickRage (https://github.com/SickRage/SickRage).
    Kodi I just use the "XBMC Library Auto Update" Addon to scan every few hours.

@elwebmaster said:
    That's interesting, which Kodi plugin do you use to load the Linux iso I am curious? And how about iso's with AC3 audio, can the Pi2 load these as well?