Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible flaw in Media Temple's holiday blowout sale - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Possible flaw in Media Temple's holiday blowout sale

2»

Comments

• wdqwdq Member
    edited November 2012

An email from Media Temple:

William,

We called and left a message to discuss a misunderstanding in our promotional weekend sale. While we do appreciate you helping spread the word about us, there are some corrections that need to be made in the communication with potential clients.

One example can be found here:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6162/possible-flaw-in-media-temple039s-holiday-blowout-sale

We are, indeed, allowing customers to order any hosting service and get the first three months for free. For yearly services, it may seem that the cost is free for the entire year, but that is not the case. We are not charging any portion of the yearly cost initially in order to make these services more accessible to new clients. However, owners of these yearly services will be informed near the three month mark that their service will renew for the year on that date.

Clients are welcome to cancel their account at no cost, which truly means that they will have hosting free for three months. Clients who do not cancel will be charged for the renewal. Any renewal that is not paid in a timely fashion will be suspended and subsequently closed, according to our normal procedure. Clients will not be able to get free hosting for a year, because that is not our promotion.

We are politely asking that you correct your public communications about this matter as soon as possible. We would like to also request that you not suggest fraudulent practices, such as changing the primary credit card on file or paying with a fake card. Here is one such quote that could be interpreted that way:

"I used my real address/CC and it took within ten minutes. No charges or anything yet. Once the setup finished I switched over to a fake card and removed my actual one."

These activities will not result in a good customer experience for anyone and further legal action might be pursued, if it seems warranted in particular cases.

If you have any more questions, feel free to call or respond to this support request from your AccountCenter. We are happy to assist you at any time!

Sincerely,

Justin P.
    Customer Outreach/Senior Customer Support
    (mt) Media Temple
    Call us at: 877-578-4000
    (mt) now offers Unrivaled Chat Support 24/7 right from your AccountCenter
    Follow @mediatemple on Twitter for support, promotions, and more!
    (mt) Current System Status: http://status.mediatemple.net

• What they are asking from you seems reasonable to me

• Who's the snitch :(

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@gubbyte said: Who's the snitch :(

It's not a snitch, I agree with @gsrdgrdghd, it seems reasonable.

• Yeah. They just want everyone to use valid information and understand that it's not a year but instead just three months.

• @Infinity said: It's not a snitch, I agree with @gsrdgrdghd, it seems reasonable.

I guess so.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

Wouldn't using fake CC info intentionally be considered wire fraud (least here in the US)...

Though it does seem nice that they'll actually allow you to cancel before the renewal period at no obligation. Assuming of course you don't abuse the system :P

• @kbeezie said: Wouldn't using fake CC info intentionally be considered wire fraud (least here in the US)...

Fake, not stolen. And if I cancel the server before the three months are up no charge will be attempted, so it's all good.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@gubbyte I never said stolen, I said specifically fake, which if the provider requires 'valid' information that is at the very least breach of contract. So like others have said, it's a reasonable request, but at least they only accepted a valid one to open an account (which for all intents and purposes gets past the identity problems).

PS: "before three months are up", may be up to 2 weeks before the billing period in order to avoid the charges. So may want to read up on the cancelation policy.

• That seems to be a very reasonable response from mediatemple, especially since they must realize none of you are going to actually continue and pay for it after the 3 months.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@wdq said: An email from Media Temple:

At least MediaTemple understands how to communicate properly :)

mumbles something about LSN and DMCAs

• The maximum amount of free RAM is 4GB now :)