Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for forum software recommendations, both commercial and free - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for forum software recommendations, both commercial and free

13»

Comments

• @mojeda xenforo.com/community/threads/august-update.35633/

It's really a crying shame because I like XenForo, it seems nice. I understand that they need every penny for their legal trouble, but if I buy a license today it's good for 1 year of updates. Who knows, maybe in the next 12 months they won't release a damn thing. Then what? If XenForo becomes community supported then it won't be any better than the Open Source alternatives. I guess IP.Board will be the only viable commercial choice in the future.

@soluslabs - you guys are running vBulletin, and I doubt that you will switch to something else any time soon.

• @marcm said: @mojeda xenforo.com/community/threads/august-update.35633/

Not exactly the type of update I'm looking for. I'm looking for actual updates to xenforo, not just status updates.

As far as I know they've only listed 3 things in 1.2 and that was at the beginning of the year, it was delayed in June and then delayed again. Other than the three things they've mentioned, http://xenforo.com/community/threads/development-update.25726/, I don't think there is anything saying what 1.2 will be. It's somewhat unfortunate as I do like Xenforo and do use it for one of my sites but I'm stuck waiting and waiting for updates and further progress. I'm ultimately left with the choice of going with active updates or "I hope updates start coming through soon."

• Paid: vBulletin
    Free: Simple Machines Forum

phpBB V2 was very nice, but since V3 I just can't get used to their control panel anymore. It's too complex if you ask me. Sadly phpBB V2 is full of security holes so you can't really use it anymore.

• @marcm said: @Fritz - Awesome idea :)

lol. :)

• I've used IP.Board before and I don't think they're consistent at all.

There was many security patches done recently, I'm starting to doubt their abilities.

Their PHP files are basically a pile of nice looking design that isn't good at all.

Their CDN support is messed up too and they don't bother fixing it.

I really hate their taste, they choose some kind of shitty what you see is what you get text box for posting messages. It works terribly and inconsistent through different browsers.

Worst of all, they use jQuery for production.
    I mean, what the hell? You use a bloody framework for production work and you sell it to your clients?

That's some lazy business I see there.

However, I must say that their anti spam user registration service is quite good.
    And the forum board looks nice on the outside (like Windows) but deep down inside? Ew.

I would recommend IP.Board if you have a lot of money and you're not using it for business purposes.

Don't make me talk about vB.

• I would go with Vanilla
    Facebook / Twitter / Open ID Logging in Ability

Tags

WSIYG

Default SEO capabilities

ıf not SMF or MYBB over phpBB, imho

• jhjh Member

VB5 still has a lot of bugs, but they are slowly getting fixed and the product is looking very promising.

• @GIANT_CRAB - We have a customer running IP.Board (olympus-gaming.net/) on one of our Shared Cloud Hosting servers with Varnish Cache and it's running faster than on InvisionPower's own website/server, however that being said after taking a closer look I think it is the wrong product for what I am trying to accomplish.

@jhadley - While I have considered vBulletin a while back, I would never give my money to a company like IB (who owns Jelsoft now) that is trying to put their competitors out of business by taking them to court. Not to mention that they are trying to sell people on a beta product (vBulletin 5) while saying - "use vBulletin 4 while this is being worked on".

While the entire IB v. XenForo lawsuit is going on I don't expect many updates, however even so I think that XenForo is miles ahead of vBulletin and that in the end they will prevail. And if they don't, then XenForo will probably be transformed into a Open Source project.

So at the moment I am down to Vanilla v. XenForo. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have crossed off phpBB, myBB, fluxBB, SMF, and most other small to medium free forums.

• I absolutely ~LOVE~ MyBB and the ability to easily create custom pages via PHP (and format them to match the entire forum theme, it's very simple)

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

I've experience with SMF. As @joepie91 noted, the code is spaghetti. I stripped out all calls to exec() like functions and applied a hardened suhosin config. Overall, decent forum but next time I will go for something simpler.

• NikkiNikki Member
    edited November 2012

Paid: vBulletin, I've had good experiences in the past, VERY easy to configure and leave alone.

Free: MyBB, easy to write plugins for, plenty of help on the forums, however somewhat limited in themes/etc. The code is VERY clean and well documented, a few things could be redone however, but that's what 1.8/2.0 is :)

• @mojeda Does anyone else other than Jake Bunce answer tickets over at XenForo? In the forums it looks like all he does is damage control. After further research I might just go with IP.Board... I like XenForo, but the drama surrounding it is off-putting.

• @marcm said: @mojeda Does anyone else other than Jake Bunce answer tickets over at XenForo?

Not sure, I've never had to put in a ticket with them.

• They have a black friday coupon: BLACKFRIDAY20 you'll get $30 off your purchase.

• @mojeda Thanks allot, just purchased IP Board for $140 :)