Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for forum software recommendations, both commercial and free - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for forum software recommendations, both commercial and free

Comments

• NexusNexus Member
    edited November 2012

@Mun said: PHPBB is not a good idea, it is old, broken, spam ridden, and frankly unusable. Vanilla is great and if you tune, you can handle a ton of requests. "memcached"

Well if you can homebrew a beautiful working captcha system, 99% of all spammers will be gone... (Im sure PHPBB3 has countless mods that would help that..) I myself, use re-captcha but that's just because I am lazy and it works decent in my opinion. That stops the majority of spammers. (Again, I know you guys have your views on recaptch/whatnot, but it does work well for me)

Saying phpbb3 is not good because it doesn't "block" spammers, sounds a bit silly I think, :)

• Is this any good? http://punbb.informer.com/ Just another for the list

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

@soluslabs said: Just another for the list

FluxBB is a fork of punBB, I think with most of the main developers (?). Flux is definitely better though.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

SMF is very nice in use and reliability and so on. Can't really recall any serious bugs, and I've used it fairly extensively in the past.

The one downside about SMF is that the source code is a giant mess, which may lead to issues in the future - but so far, they've been doing fine :)

For commercial, definitely XenForo. No doubt about it.

• @nexus phpbb comes built in with a q and a anti spam system. when you work with questions that only your users would know it works really well. targeted spam is still a problem but changing to q and a I've had 1 spam post in 16 months. with around 500 users per day on one site. so not bad going

• Paid:- IP.Board, Not used the newest version of vB.
    Free:-
    1. SMF (ForThemes)
    2. phpBB (Old and known) & Vanilla Forums(See LET)
    Rest unused, but very tough to that any one is bad.

In fact all are good Have a 'toss' between SMF and Vanilla.

• You mentioned everything I had in mind o.o

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

vBulletin

• OK, you need someone experienced in fine tuning your setup and a proper setup will pretty much run itself

XenForo

• Pretty good. The vB lawsuit is new to me, hopefully XF wins because it's a good product. It's "lighter" than vBulletin, does not require that fine tuning but the wording of how the backend is will be different than what you are using to with vBulletin

phpBB

• Pure open source garbage. "Feel free to use our modifications" get about 5 modifications into a phpBB installation and you ruined the install because some coder somewhere messed something up.

SMF

• Ran it once for 7 days, somehow got hit by a drive-by 0day exploit that loaded up a phishing page and a complaint from our provider.

Vanilla

• Lack of features but a basic forum. I'm surprised LET has not outgrown Vanilla but that time will come.

Yep, that's why I pay vBulletin and XenForo for commercial licenses.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited November 2012

@Ishaq

@Ishaq said: You mentioned everything I had in mind o.o

:) So, now it's all yours

@MikeIn said: Paid:- IP.Board, Not used the newest version of vB.

Free:-
    1. SMF (ForThemes)
    2. phpBB (Old and known) & Vanilla Forums(See LET)
    Rest unused, but very tough to that any one is bad.

In fact all are good Have a 'toss' between SMF and Vanilla.

• We use vBulletin 4 on a forum and haven't added any issues and personally find it very easy to use and integrate with MaxCDN etc. There's also extensive modules already available and many coders available to do something custom, I look forward to vB5 developments and will probably upgrade on Gold release

• Personally, I'm a big fan of SMF. It integrates well with a lot of other free systems (wordpress is a big example) and it has a ton of useful plugins. I've used PHPBB as well, but didn't like it nearly as much (though it does some things better, and lets you easily "test drive" members' board permissions, if that matters to you).

I see no convincing reason to shell out the $$$ for vBulletin. It's not markedly better than either of the two options I named above, and it costs far too much.

With all forums, you need to be careful about security and watch for exploits. This is nothing new. But in my very generalized experience, security concerns about SMF/phpBB are overstated at best.

• Xenforo for me, because its very flexible in design.

• Thanks allot guys for all the great suggestions :)

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited November 2012

I will always love SMF.. good themes/plugins.
    MyBB was okay.. light and almost too simplistic for me though.
    PHPBB3.. I don't feel like breaking my entire forum when trying to install a plugin or a simple portal. o.o

• My favourite forum software overall is XenForo, but probably SMF or Vanilla for free ones.

• FluxBB. +1

• I think you should make scoring for this Poll.

• @Fritz said: I think you should make scoring for this Poll.

+1

• @Fritz and @Mikeln - unfortunately I can't set up a poll here.

• Paid: IP.Board

Free: MyBB

I like xenforo but the ongoing lawsuit (2 years now?) is somewhat unappealing as there hasn't been any real development for a while. My Xenforo license has already expired and the only updates I've seen have been bug fixes and small additions, no real spectacular features.

• @mojeda - Have you used IP.Board at all? Any experience with it?

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited November 2012

Yes, tons. I use it on 2 sites currently.

The IPS Spam service works very well, and in 3.4 they are adding a "Best Answer" feature so that might be helpful for threads that are asking questions. Not saying this isn't available in any of the other options, but something to keep in mind.

• @mojeda - Is it really good, decent moderation tools? I looked at it and the design is clean. By the way, XenForo ain't going nowhere, and from what I can tell their lead developer is actively working on it. Check out xenforo.com/community

• @marcm said: @Fritz and @Mikeln - unfortunately I can't set up a poll here.

Count it manually?

• @Fritz - Awesome idea :)

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited November 2012

I really enjoyed fluxbb <3
    paid: xenforo or ipboard

You could use phpbb with nucaptcha and get rid of 99.99999% of all spam

• in 3.4 they are adding a "Best Answer" feature so that might be helpful for threads that are asking questions

You can indeed implement this in almost all available boards.

That said, XenForo gets a solid recommendation from me =)

VB5 looks like pos to me.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited November 2012

@marcm said: @mojeda - Is it really good, decent moderation tools? I looked at it and the design is clean. By the way, XenForo ain't going nowhere, and from what I can tell their lead developer is actively working on it. Check out xenforo.com/community

I think they are good enough, though in both my communities I haven't had to really use any of them.

You can always demo the software and check it out: http://www.invisionpower.com/demo/

I have no doubt that Xenforo is not going anywhere but the fact that posts in the "Have you Seen...?" forum are over a year old, and the last update was in June and not seeing any announcements for future updates (unless I'm missing something), makes me feel like my money went towards the lawsuit and not development.

• @Wintereise said: in 3.4 they are adding a "Best Answer" feature so that might be helpful for threads that are asking questions

Looks a nice feature. They run it already on there community forum. Works well

• @mojeda said: You can always demo the software and check it out: http://www.invisionpower.com/demo/

It's worth a look. I'm pretty impressed with it.