Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a little something on US east coast... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a little something on US east coast...

13»

Comments

• @mpkossen said:
    IPv6 vs IPv4 perhaps? Or just crappy routing somewhere?

<5ms difference is fine. just pointing out that UK-->EastCoast is ~90-100ms, not >150ms

different routing might explain the differences and large pings at times.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mpkossen said:
    IPv4: http://pastebin.com/paiWJS61

IPv6: http://pastebin.com/Zt4J8Yep

Even goes through London. Now seriously, you are closer to London than I am.

I'm going to test this through at work tomorrow and see what comes back from there, my ping is clearly substantially worse than yours from my home.

• @mpkossen said:
    IPv6 vs IPv4 perhaps? Or just crappy routing somewhere?

interesting. v6 ping is 67ms

• @Nekki said:
    I'm going to test this through at work tomorrow and see what comes back from there, my ping is clearly substantially worse than yours from my home.

Try and get a RamNode NL server and tunnel traffic through that. May work.

• @mpkossen said:
    Try and get a RamNode NL server and tunnel traffic through that. May work.

Ah, never mind. RamNode has a worse ping than my ISP. I may just have the best ISP around then.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

mpkossen said: I may just have the best ISP around then.

Maybe. UK residential ISPs are all reasonably shit.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @Bruce said:
    interesting. v6 ping is 67ms

My ISP always prefers IPv6 over IPv4 because the routing is usually a lot better for some reason. I've hardly ever seen it the other way around, with the exception of some IPv6 tunnels.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Nekki said: Incero said: do you have a test IP in the UK to ping?

Afraid not, no, I don't wish to reveal the PoP's IP. However, as you don't have IPv6, Wable aren't up for consideration anyway.

I did a ping over HEs IPv6 from london:

Reply   2602:ffd6:d0d:dead:beef:f00d:dead:feed  16  106ms   59 

It should be within the error margin and it is quite good taking into consideration it's Dallas and non-native. The jitter, on the other hand, is far from the IPv4 stability.

• @Nekki said:
    Maybe. UK residential ISPs are all reasonably shit.

Including mobile ISPs. 3 love cogent.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: As in 6sync.com? They only have a West Coast location from what I can see.

Sorry 'bout that. They were out of Equinix in NY for several years...I guess they moved.

• @nekki what ping do you get to this IP in New Jersey?

Not that I would recommend the host but I'm from north UK on ADSL and I used to get much better ping results when we had VM cable (nevermind fibre)

I get about 83-90ms to NJ depending on the host

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

• @hostnoob said:
    nekki what ping do you get to this IP in New Jersey?

Not that I would recommend the host but I'm from north UK on ADSL and I used to get much better ping results when we had VM cable (nevermind fibre)

I get about 83-90ms to NJ depending on the host

How North?

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited August 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    How North?

yorkshire. nekki is from essex I think?

• @hostnoob said:
    yorkshire. nekki is from essex I think?

Yorkshire. Up ere with me n @linuxthefish

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

Nekki said: Edit: hilariously, I get over 100m/s at home. Fuck Virgin Media.

hostnoob said: VM cable (nevermind fibre)

All residential Virgin Media connections are FTTC and the CMTS induces latency.

HOST: mysterioushost              Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
      2.|-- xxxxx.                     0.0%    10   11.6  13.8  11.6  14.8   1.0
      3.|-- brhm-bb-1c-ae1-0.network.  0.0%    10   18.2  21.3  15.7  33.7   5.8
      4.|-- tcl5-ic-2-ae0-0.network.v 90.0%    10   22.2  22.2  22.2  22.2   0.0
      5.|-- linx.peer.nac.net         30.0%    10  107.9 105.3 101.9 112.6   3.8
      6.|-- 0.e3-2.tbr2.tl9.nac.net   30.0%    10  101.1 101.9 100.4 103.8   1.2
      7.|-- 0.e1-4.tbr2.mmu.nac.net   60.0%    10  112.6 110.1 104.6 117.6   6.1
      8.|-- 207.99.53.46              70.0%    10  105.7 105.3 101.7 108.5   3.4
      9.|-- speedtest.newark.linode.c 50.0%    10  102.6 103.0 102.4 104.4   0.8

Virgin Media routing is unpredictable. Tonight you could be seeing the best direct route possible, tomorrow morning you may see traffic being routed up and down the UK before it's passed off network.

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Including mobile ISPs. 3 love cogent.

They have 2 DCs, one in Manchester and the other in Hemel Hempstead (~London). Both make use of Cogent and GTT transit but it's "load balanced" weirdly, so you'll only ever see one route or the other at a time and not a mix of the two.