Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another storage plan (BETA) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yet another storage plan (BETA)

13»

Comments

• @Maounique @zsero I did the same as above (the only different, I put disk space 100GB not swap file 100GB), same error. I have repeated with different OS, delete VM and recreate it.

I think it is because of 100 GB, the image already took 2G, I am trying on disk space of 95GB instead of 100GB, no swap, still in the process of creating the instance. Hopefully, it works this time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@zsero if you put all disk space for swap there wont be any left for the disk.
    I didnt plan to have so many testers and figured files will show more strain on the system and add more load in the idea that if it doesnt break in harsh testing conditions, wont break under normal load.
    The live version will use LVM.
    A reboot will be needed to raise the loop devices number.

Reboot done.
    128 max loop devices now.
    It may take a few days till it will be stable and working well.
    Sorry for my noobness, my first attempt :)

• Sorry, the error was just on this screenshot. Obviously yesterday I tried to put it on the disk space. That GUI is crazy...

@zsero said: That GUI is crazy...

For people used with webmin is not that alien, but it is substantially different from solus. I will try to make a more thorough tutorial with the data learned from this test.

• Here is my help for the tutorial:

I think some swap will be a good idea, at least something like 2 times the RAM.

• I get the following error

Failed to create system : No suitable running host systems are available

any hint?

• @Maounique could you check my account - account id: au12417

Repeated Error Message:
    failed : Using config file "/raid/bak01.cfg". Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?

I think the setting is wrong on my account.

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

Still not working for me, except with Deb 6 32-bit it's:

.. failed to start : Using config file "/raid/stor.cfg". Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?

edited November 2012

The following error:
    Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?
    means that you are trying to create a HVM machine. It never occurred to me on this machine, but I havent tested all OSes.
    What I found out to be working: centos5 64 centos6 64 ubuntu 64 (tested one or two, dont remember which.
    It might be that some images need full virtualization which is not supported, please tell me which images are you using so I can test them too.
    OK, found out the faulty image was debian 32 bit. It was removed from the list, please use the 64 version or some other image.
    I will investigate why it needs Xen-HVM instead of Xen-PV.

• Ah, everything is clear. Since there is no hardware VT, 32-bit images cannot run at all. Tried Deb 64 and it works perfectly! So, I'd just recommend removing all 32-bit images from the CP, since they cannot work.

edited November 2012

Nope, it is not that, every other 32 bit image works.
    I think it has something to do with debian using grub-2.
    One other side effect of using that image was that the qemu-dm kept trying to start and was hammering the CPU.

• @Maounique said: We don't have 32mb OVZ, maybe 50 ?

Gah! Yes 50 my bad!

• Finally, I got it work with centos x64 . ipv6 not show at cloudmin page but manage to get it from text command line.

Thanks.

• I got it working with Deb 6 64 too. The only way to find out IP address is to ifconfig from console. Minstall worked fine.

However, at least on my system, both htop and free says there is only 64 MB of RAM in total. Is it the case for you too?

You should be able to go to resources and check if everything is fine.
    Should have 192 MB for this plan.
    Tomorrow I will put another box with the things I learned from here. Might be a RC-1 :)

• @Maounique said: deb http://mi.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

thanks for the note, its really fast

A few conclusions ?
    I already put an Ubuntu based machine with LVM and preliminary tests are looking good.
    The IPs will be handed out at provisioning so you know them upfront.
    The tutorial will be rewritten with caveats I learned from this test.
    There will be 3 plans at least.
    1. 50 GB, 96 RAM, 1 VM max (recommended with debian/ubuntu only, CentOS does run but the RAM is a bit low)
    2. 100 GB, 192 RAM, 2 VMs max (if using all ram for one vm, every image should work well, if not, please take care because CentOS/Fedora are more hungry than Debian/Ubuntu and might not even boot)
    3. 250 GB, 256 RAM, 3 VMs max.
    All traffic will be 4x the plan's storage.

Prices are to be determined later. For existing customers, will be around 2 cents per GB, higher on the smaller plans and lower on the big ones.

edited December 2012

I would like to thank everyone that helped.
    A few things fixed:
    1. Now the ping works to test if the VM is up. Correctly shows at status SSH instead of Ping failed (thanks Uncle :)
    2. Incompatibilities fixed, except for Squeeze 32 bit which didnt manage. It appears to be a debian incompatibility.
    3. Templates remastered so they include now latest updates (at the time of updating) and correct repositories with IPv6 support. Did you know canonical does not have IPv6 support in their main repository ?
    4. Besides the automatically assigned IP from the pool, you get a /64 which is derived from the MAC address.
    5. Largest plan has the possibility to create 2 VMs in those resources as you please.
    6. Since CPU was grossly underused, contrary to my expectations since it is a D525, I increased maximum allocation per plan so you wont be unnecessarily throttled.
    7. Traffic allocation has been revised up and might still be increased futher.

The plans are ready, but not public yet, for a week, all that participated in the beta and wish to get one, please contact me specifying which of the plans they wish to get.
    Atomic50, 100, 200 with 128, 192, 256 RAM. Prices are 2-3 cents per GB depending on plan.
    New tutorial here:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=900&sid=1916001dd59f13ad751f45ba9f9ef212