Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another storage plan (BETA) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yet another storage plan (BETA)

Comments

• @maounique y u no PM me :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@djvdorp said: @maounique y u no PM me :(

I am sorry, missed it, but you can raise a ticket in WHMCS. Say who you are here and will see what can be done to give you one too :)

@Nekki said: I'm not missing anything. I would simply want to backup files from my home NAS via rsync.

Yes, but it is meant to supplement the small storage we offer for regular VPSes, Prometeus is not exactly known for big space, but for fast storage. This would be an attempt to give more to those that need it and they will be able to mount it in the VPS.
    As someone suggested, might be possible in the future to offer public interfaces to some NFS or something, for now, we are both busy with various projects, Uncle with the offloading of MySQL, me with this storage and later in the year, we hope to launch cloud services.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited November 2012

@maounique: I just received the order confirmation: tanks.
    Xen is a good choice. My first try will be to configure it as backup target of a Windows KVM VPS, using the built-in Windows 8 file history function. I will try to mount the storage as iSCSI target, it is usually very efficient on Windows. I never tried iSCSI on Windows with ipv6 before, but it should work according to the MS Technet. The issue with IPv6 is the lack of documentation, so few people is using it.

edited November 2012

And the lack of documentation is because few ppl feel the need for it.
    For iSCSI you may wish to get one of the centos images that already has it in.

• @Maounique said: Yes, but it is meant to supplement the small storage we offer for regular VPSes, Prometeus is not exactly known for big space, but for fast storage. This would be an attempt to give more to those that need it and they will be able to mount it in the VPS.

I'm with you now, that makes sense - I didn't read the initial post properly, my apologies.

• Finally someone offers a Xen storage plan, I been thinking in this one for a while.

Instead of the 100gb could you offer 50gb? with the same other features?

Thanks and keep up the good work at Prometeus

@thekreek said: Finally someone offers a Xen storage plan, I been thinking in this one for a while.

I hear you. Been also looking for something like this.
    I do not know if smaller storage plans are feasible, this is on of the things i try to see in this test period.
    The problem with it is that there has to be some swap since linux does much better with it, and if tehre are too many people swapping on non-raid, low IOPS storage, it will be very slow.
    It depends how the storage will go, normally should work well for 50 GB or even 25, but the memory will also have to be smaller and will only work with Debian/Ubuntu, centos is very heavy on "full" virtualization systems.
    I will be waiting feedback in the forum, how does it feel, how snappy was the install, etc.

• @Maounique said: I am sorry, missed it, but you can raise a ticket in WHMCS. Say who you are here and will see what can be done to give you one too :)

Ticket sent! #725394

• This is a nice idea - I'd pay a bit more to know there was a bit of redundancy with RAID 5/1, guess 5 will hit performance quite hard though.

Do you still have any beta slots left - and a small regular KVM I could order?

@tehdan said: Do you still have any beta slots left - and a small regular KVM I could order?

Unfortunately, I have to say no to both.The lowest KVM is at 5 Eur and there is only one left.

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique, buy why not just set up a dedi node with a single Openfiler or similar OS? http://www.openfiler.com/ to be an iSCSI target?

In my opinion VPS just makes things much more complicated, swap etc. Plus everyone has to configure it + they can abuse it. Why not just a central iSCSI node running Openfiler? You could pretty much sell pure storage, and you could just create a user for each plan. Couldn't be easier! Various software RAIDs are also supported on Openfiler!

And don't forget, that even if few of us here can find out how to make an iSCSI target, it's never going to be as simple as just receiving an email with an iSCSI target's parameters.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited November 2012

@zsero said: Why not just a central iSCSI node running Openfiler? You could pretty much sell pure storage, and you could just create a user for each plan. Couldn't be easier!

Not easier for the people who want NFS or Samba or SSHFS or a SSH server to rsync to or an FTP server or one of the dozen other possibilities other than iSCSI.

A NAS will also be able to have those services, but the main selling point for this is that you have your own firewall, your own features, you own full control, in short.
    There is a point for the other view, of course, hopefully we will see some offers in that field.

• @zsero think you'll find most here disagree as we prefer more control...

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

@craigb, yes I realized that LET is not the bunch of people of this idea. But I'd guess that not more than 10% of Prometeus' customers are from LET, or even if there is a lot now, they might be planning for a wider range of users. I'm thinking about people coming from shared hosting / cPanel. They just want a fast server with an option to have a large storage attached. Heck, there would even be a script to make it auto-attached to VPS plans.

Plus, even if all of us would be born super linux server admins, the fact that there is no OS running on top for each storage plan + no swap + less chance of abusing => would make it cheaper for all of us, not just for novice users.

• @zsero said: Plus, even if all of us would be born super linux server admins, the fact that there is no OS running on top for each storage plan + no swap + less chance of abusing => would make it cheaper for all of us, not just for novice users.

Sounds great in theory but in practice "managed" storage services cost more due to the fact they are managed. Aside from mega-providers (e.g. Amazon/Google) and marketing stunts (free storage offers), I'm unable to find cheaper for the same quality. You?

• @craigb said: Sounds great in theory but in practice "managed" storage services cost more due to the fact they are managed. Aside from mega-providers (e.g. Amazon/Google) and marketing stunts (free storage offers), I'm unable to find cheaper for the same quality. You?

This is why I thought about only offering iSCSI targets. That would pretty much be as complicated as a USB stick.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@zsero said: This is why I thought about only offering iSCSI targets.

Well I don't use iSCSI, I prefer NBD or AoE, how about that?

Why make your service intenionally less flexible than it could be? (and is, now)

• @zsero at what price point?

edited November 2012

Just a heads up, I see many people created VPSes without IPv6.
    Please read the tutorial ! It is not a frequently used control panel and it takes a while till you get used with it.
    Once you do, you will see it has more features than Solus, though.
    Another point of interest is that prometeus has mirror with IPv6 for Centos here:
    mirrors.prometeus.net. You may wish to skip the fastest mirror plugin.
    For debian use garr mirror which is also half a ms away in the same DC:
    deb http://mi.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

• I have tried 3 times, but still can't boot up the system. Can anyone help me here? Here is my error message:

(.. failed : Using config file "/raid/bak.cfg". Error: HVM guest support is unavailable: is VT/AMD-V supported by your CPU and enabled in your BIOS?
    )

I can't find any place that I cant disable the HVM.

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

@smile93, It's a problem on their end. I have it too, and I've already posted the full log in a ticket, I think it will be fixed tomorrow morning. Now, I think the best thing we can do is sleep.

• same problem.

Lets wait for it, I forgot about timezone, maybe it's late at night in italy an other side of the world

• This is embarrassing.

I forgot I got a 512mb KVM from Uncle (and a free 32mb OVZ)!

I gotta put those to use!

edited November 2012

@smile93 @zsero @ErawanArifNugroho

Sorry for that, which image are you using ? They should not require virtualization extensions since the VMs are paravirtualized fully.
    Are you trying to create the VM from ISO ?
    About half the people managed to create systems, so far.

@HalfEatenPie said: (and a free 32mb OVZ)!

We don't have 32mb OVZ, maybe 50 ?

• @Maounique said: Sorry for that, which image are you using ? They should not require virtualization extensions since the VMs are paravirtualized fully.

I got the same error last night using Debian 6.

I tried deleting the VM and creating a new one using CentOS 5.7 x64, and got the following error when trying to boot it:

.. failed : Using config file "/raid/fumi.cfg". Using to parse /boot/grub/grub.conf Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. /etc/xen/scripts/block failed; error detected.

• @Kuro said: I got the same error last night using Debian 6.

I tried deleting the VM and creating a new one using CentOS 5.7 x64, and got the following error when trying to boot it:

Exact same thing. Tried Deb 6, then Centos, then Deb 6 again.

This is strange, it works for me on both OSes... I am trying all right now, doing updates on Centos6 64 now with 128 ram to test it. Seems to be working well.
    I will try all the images.
    Did you follow the tutorial ?
    Can you describe all the steps you took in detail ?

• @Maounique

mount: could not find any free loop device

It seems the host system is out of available loop devices... (Each virtual disk requires its own loop device)

Any reason why you're not using LVM?

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique:
    I'm following the tutorial line by line.
    Actually, I made a graphical version of the tutorial (feel free to use it):

-- image removed, error was there --