Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NOT MY BUSSINES --- SSDVM Closing Down Doors - 01/12/2012 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NOT MY BUSSINES --- SSDVM Closing Down Doors - 01/12/2012

Comments

• @Nick_A said: No offense to them, but it's not really worth it.

We came to the same conclusion. Oh well, never hurts to try

• @miTgiB said: This is 2 SSD down this week? I know the earlier was just 1 of many locations, but this is what I was predicting to myself (puts @francisco hat on), SSD only would be a failure within 6 months once all the testers finished their rounds.

This one sounds more related to the OVH IP pricing changes to me. Having getting hit with a big jump in costs on an unfilled node, I'm not surprised they jumped ship. Cheap IPs and cheap SSD servers made OVH quite attractive to people looking to start a SSD VPS provider.

Don't be surprised if you hear of another one, I've got a $12/year VPSDeploy SSD VPS based at OVH that I can't see being sustainable when the IPs are going to start costing them €1/month.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@lbft said: This one sounds more related to the OVH IP pricing changes to me.

SSDVM was talking about closing prior to OVH IP stuff.

@Corey said: With adaptec controllers you have to have 1 SSD for every mechanical disk.... or an SSD pool not protected with raid on maxcache...... and neither one can increase write performance - only reads.

Good thing we don't use adaptec

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

@jhadley said: Someone should start a 'winter host' to take over 'summer hosting' customers..

Summer just begins in the southern hemisphere. I am actually sorry that we don't see any LEB hosts there.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The IPs in Europe will be a problem larger every day. The americans dont care since they still have 3 /8 iirc at about same population so will last them many years, but EU will lead in ipv6 adoption, with the help of asia, of course :)

@rds100 said: I am actually sorry that we don't see any LEB hosts there.

Indeed, brazilians host with us... I mean, WTF, US is closer and has cheaper IPs...

• @miTgiB said: When using cacheCade, you build an array of SSD then apply which VirtualDrives make use of the cache. What you like doesn't matter, LSI is far better supported under Linux than Adapcrap and their abandonware.

@Nick_A said: Good thing we don't use adaptec

Might have to take a look at LSI again - but historically we've had better performance out of adaptec controllers as well.

• Sounds familiar but I probably mistaken it at first sight as "SSHVM"

• @lbft said: OVH IP pricing changes

Yes that can weigh heavily on someone that leases IP's and gear. I still don't see the attraction of SSD only outside the tester circle with their minimal disk allotment. Sure they make for great SQL boxes, as long as your OS and database can fit in that small amount of disk.

• bobbybobby Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: The IPs in Europe will be a problem larger every day.

Reason for VPS hoarding :)

• @Maounique said: Indeed, brazilians host with us... I mean, WTF, US is closer and has cheaper IPs...

The US must have better fraud detection ;) I do have many fine customers from Brazil, but boy that place tests my patience with fraud submisions.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: (puts @francisco hat on)

Give that back old man!

Anyways, the SSD market is fun for some quick tests but when people need the space to actually work, they'll look elsewhere.

Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maounique said: Indeed, brazilians host with us...

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

Fran

• @Nick_A said: SSDVM was talking about closing prior to OVH IP stuff.

My mistake.

@miTgiB said: I still don't see the attraction of SSD only outside the tester circle with their minimal disk allotment. Sure they make for great SQL boxes, as long as your OS and database can fit in that small amount of disk.

I personally like the peace of mind of knowing that I can't affect other people on a node, especially if I have a write-heavy workload.

That said, I agree in a sense - SSD cached VPSes have mainstream appeal, SSD-only VPSes are a niche thing and all bubbles eventually burst. But IMHO there'll always be people who choose the sexier SSD option even though they don't need it.

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited November 2012

Any SSDVM customers can PM me for the second and third month free on any SSD VPS plans we offer, we have SSD VPS available in Chicago and Dallas.

Thanks

• Possibly looking at purchasing it. Will update as we find more info out.

• @lbft said: That said, I agree in a sense - SSD cached VPSes have mainstream appeal

That's the route we've gone.

Any SSDVM customers can also PM me to get their 2nd month free and a recurring discount on their SSD Cache VPS plan provided they can prove they were an existing customer of SSDVM.

Can't wait to see the free ones get more free months from you guys :P

edited November 2012

Yes that can weigh heavily on someone that leases IP's and gear. I still don't see the attraction of SSD only outside the tester circle with their minimal disk allotment. Sure they make for great SQL boxes, as long as your OS and database can fit in that small amount of disk.

I dont think SSDs will be going away so fast, spinning drives are going to hit a wall soon, it is just as much RPMS and actuator speed that can be achieved without vibrations to blow everything apart or turn the MTBF into days.
    I think the price will go down further, the technology will change and will be more reliable, the bottleneck in many computers today is the storage, and SSDs are solving that somewhat.
    Sure, that technology also has some limitations, but the possibilities for materials and algorithms are almost endless, while mechanical stuff has much harder limits.

I am betting SSDs will replace HDDs in a couple of years, they are already at similar prices with SAS2 ones.
    HDDs will become huge sequential storage units much like tapes, but the random access devices will be SSDs.

• Why no one use 512gb ssd?

• Got a free VPS from them, I'm hosting my personal blog on it, time to move, again :(

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited November 2012

sad to see ssdvm leave. They were very very good.

@Taz said: Why no one use 512gb ssd?

What, by itself?

• Most of the provider I have seen uses 256gb drives. 512gb drives aren't that expensive now a days. On a raid 10, you get around 1tb to sell. On a e3, you can sell some decent high storage plan for good price.

@Taz said: 512gb drives aren't that expensive now a days

They're more than twice the price of 256GBs. You're talking adding $1.2k to the cost of a node.

• Well duh! But, if you want to stay competitive, you have to bite something. Either a bigger node with more client or small one with less client. Cause that 5-10gb is not worthy of 7$. In real world, people care about bigger number. The only reason 5$ 2gb vps gets sold for. Doesn't matter if anyone uses it or no, they want it.

• Also ,
    LEB clients barely needs ssd storage. App servers and commercial people needs em. Sites like wht and leb needs ssd, not the average Joe. And those who needs, don't and won't bother with low end provider. No matter how good ramnode or buyvm is, they will still go with rackspace or liquidweb. For a bit cheaper, they will go with linode or kh or wt. And as mine craft dies, demand for those small ssd will decline.

@Taz said: But, if you want to stay competitive

I don't think the competition is going to require 512GB drives any time soon.

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz

SSDs for a low end market is not so much to the user's advantage, but to the provider. The main problem with E5 boxes is that while you can load them up with RAM, getting enough disk IO is expensive. If you're doing a lot of VPN or low storage hosting for example, pure SSD nodes help a lot to maximize RAM use without ridiculously large (16 drive+) or expensive disk arrays (15k RPM).

Like you said, if you run an app server, you won't use a low end box. But if you can afford a dedicated server, you probably have enough margin to take one with or without SSD. At that point price difference of the SSD is negligible because you'll have a dedicated node and rarely need to go beyond 500GB of pure SSD storage.

End of the day, it's about matching the user requirements with the right product. Maybe on a marketing end it seems like a fad to you, but I can assure you, not needing to worry about disk IO abuse is one load off any low end provider's mind.