Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who really prefers BitCoin? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who really prefers BitCoin?

Comments

• @black said:
    You mean you want to mine them or something? It's really hard to get free bitcoins now.

freebitco.in

• lewissue said: freebitco.in

Why gamble bitcoins when you can gamble real money?

• On the other hand, Bitcoin doesn't suck up a large portion of your profit unlike PayPal...

• If someone starts stuck with chergebacks and refunds routine on PP sure you like Bitcoin a lot :)

• UrDNUrDN Member

We use bitcoin because it is safe from centralized anti-democratic banking organizations and governments. It allows to make very cheap transactions of any amount. It does not require to violate your privacy. Transactions can't be reverted. Transactions are instant and confirmed within a reasonable amount of time.

We both hold and exchange our bitcoins.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Bitcoins are no safer than any other currency at best, and far less safe than real estate. Its fine as a medium for money transfers but fundamentally it is not really any better or different to othe currency

• deadbeef said: I highly doubt the drug lords around the world get paid in BTC, don't you? They do get paid in USD though, so do you avoid the dollar because you don't want to support criminal activity? :D

Yes I do avoid USD also. But that's because I strongly hate Obama and the American economy (if you can really call it an economy).

• @Anna_Parker said:
    Same thing in USA - it's a federation, when each states has own law, but the level up is federal law and federal goverment. It's not the idea of father's of United States, that's why there are votes to secede, ie. in California.

I think you've been swallowing too much nonsense in Reddit's Bitcoin/Libertarian echochambers. The Constitution has a specific provision (known as the Supremacy Clause) declaring Federal law trumps state law.

As for secession, a number of states attempted it in the 1860s and we all know how that went. Neither California nor Texas, nor any other state, has the legal right to secede, and nobody but a handful of loons seriously wants to anyway.

@deadbeef said:
    There you are, I fixed it for ya.

Thanks. Good to know that you got to where you are today by not using education, health or any other public service or facility paid for by other people. Congrats on not being a freeloader. ;)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

Apart from random subscription charges on PayPal, I still think that it is safer with the option to reverse transactions.

• doghouch said: doghouch

Reverse meant rip off other party, isn't?

• Bitcoin all the way!
    Only like Paypal cuz of the subscribing thing, so I don't have to worry about renewing my service/s.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited August 2015

@LV426 said:
    Thanks. Good to know that you got to where you are today by not using education, health or any other public service or facility paid for by other people. Congrats on not being a freeloader. ;)

This is what happens when it is illegal to do otherwise. Can I use private roads? Can I use private police? Can I use private education (in my country private universities are forbidden)? Etc, etc, etc.

Your argument is exactly like a slave owner telling his plantation slaves they should be happy with the food and the housing he provides from them since they were children. After all, it was the other slaves work he exploited until the younger ones turn was due.

Now do the right thing. Stop being pro-theft and come join us to end this slavery.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

@fitvpn

Well, for a provider, Bitcoin can be an advantage as there cannot be any fraudulent transactions where chargebacks can occur. For a customer, it helps to have PayPal in case the service ordered is a scam, where the customer can reverse the payment.

Either way, it is a win-loss situation. Meh :p

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited August 2015

doghouch said: doghouch

PP Fraud from buyers side all around. No reverse no fraud.That simple.

• randvegeta said: China has the great firewall and if they wanted they can block or augment transactions. BTC is 100% dependant on the internet. Not so great when Skynet decides to unleash the Terminators and take over.

That... is not how the GFW works. The GFW can block destination IPs but as the transaction itself is encrypted and goes to a random node it would be as hard as blocking tor - Which they try since years and gloriously fail each time Tor upgrades the encapsulation mechanism. This is also why Shadowsocks and some other VPN protocols still work in China, they simply CANNOT drop all traffic on 443 or their own people will lynch the government (once again.... and again... that is basically Chinas history anyway...)

@William, but are the nodes that verify transactions not quite well known? Could known nodes not be blocked? Im sure there are many things that could be done in China that would make it very difficult to use BTC to all but the tech savvy if they really wanted to. Maybe Im wrong?

• @fitvpn said:
    Reverse meant rip off other party, isn't?

No, reverse means being able to prevent a company ripping you off. Not always possible with Paypal in the past, when it would come down on the side of the scamming vendor.

For buyers (who are not into shady or illegal activity or suffering from paranoid delusions) Bitcoin makes absolutely zero sense. For scammers, fraudsters and crooked businesses, irreversible transactions are the Holy Grail.

@deadbeef said:
    This is what happens when it is illegal to do otherwise.

In which country do you live where private education and private healthcare are illegal?

Your argument is exactly like a slave owner telling his plantation slaves they should be happy with the food and the housing he provides from them since they were children. After all, it was the other slaves work he exploited until the younger ones turn was due.

This kind of nonsensical drivel is exactly what makes Libertarian crazies such a laughing stock for the sane majority of people. I really hope you're just trolling.

• @LV426 said:
    In which country do you live where private education and private healthcare are illegal?

An EU one. Private healthcare I pay for thankfully.

This kind of nonsensical drivel is exactly what makes Libertarian crazies such a laughing stock for the sane majority of people. I really hope you're just trolling.

Emotional attacks don't mean shit to logical people. Feel free to use big words and low-end verbalisms, they are unable by their nature to touch me and (most importantly) the arguments.

• @deadbeef said:
    An EU one. Private healthcare I pay for thankfully.

Okay, in which EU country do you live where private schools are illegal?

Emotional attacks don't mean shit to logical people. Feel free to use big words and low-end verbalisms, they are unable by their nature to touch me and (most importantly) the arguments.

The 'arguments' you posted are irrelevant, since virtually nobody accepts them or takes them seriously. Feel free to explain how non-butthurt you are again about having what you say challenged.

edited August 2015

@LV426 said:
    Okay, in which EU country do you live where private schools are illegal?

I'll PM you.

The 'arguments' you posted are irrelevant, since virtually nobody accepts them or takes them seriously.

Logic is independent from people. People's acceptance or views do not mean shit in regards to logical arguments. It's the beauty of mathematics and of deduction in general. Shit either is or it isn't. Polls are not required.

Feel free to explain how non-butthurt you are again about having what you say challenged.

If you read my previous post, I clearly explained that "big words and low-end verbalisms, they are unable by their nature to touch me and (most importantly) the arguments". Ergo, it would be impossible for me to get butt-hurt from non arguments.

• LV426 said: Okay, in which EU country do you live where private schools are illegal?

Germany.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I have only once paid something via Bitcoin. I would not say I prefer it, but it is definitely good to have. I just wish the exchange rate did not depend so heavily on speculation. Although I do believe that one can still keep bitcoins in a wallet, due to their limited supply => price is bound to increase over a long time.

However, if some government decided to ban them, which would make exchanging them for money really difficult,...

• randvegeta said: @William, but are the nodes that verify transactions not quite well known? Could known nodes not be blocked? Im sure there are many things that could be done in China that would make it very difficult to use BTC to all but the tech savvy if they really wanted to. Maybe Im wrong?

No, they change all the time, that is the intention of the network. Even if they block it everyone would just switch to port 443 and emulate SSL traffic (like Tor) does now and the Chinese won't be able to block it at all.

• @William could also just use Tor proxy in bitcoin client, right?

• @deadbeef said: it would be impossible for me to get butt-hurt from non arguments.

It would be impossible for me to take seriously (or give credibility by responding seriously to) a non-argument comparing the crime of slavery to people paying taxes (and doing so willingly, if not happily, because they understand and support the necessity of public and social infrastructure).

If "slaves" don't want to be "slaves", and crave getting out their credit cards before dialling 112 and paying road tolls of unlimited amounts because free market, they can vote accordingly.

Even in the US, where selfishness, greed and over-privatisation is an ideology, and where nutjobs like Ayn Rand are taken seriously by otherwise intelligent people, the Libertarian Party has always been an irrelevance. People have the freedom to support it, vote for it and elect it and they largely don't.

@William said:
    Germany.

I was surprised to read this, but Wikipedia seems to say the opposite. That private schools, though not that popular, even have unusual protection under German law.

edited August 2015

@LV426 said:
    comparing the crime of slavery to people paying taxes (and doing so willingly, if not happily, because they understand and support the necessity of public and social infrastructure).

It's exactly the same. Taxes are not voluntary. If there are people who are glad to pay them, that's great, they have my full support as it's their money. The problem starts when people are forced to pay taxes. Taxation means that I work for someone else by force. If I don't pay work for the state, I get chains. If the plantation slave did not work for his master, he got chains (or worse).

The binding factor in both cases is force.

If "slaves" don't want to be "slaves", and crave getting out their credit cards before dialling 112 and paying road tolls of unlimited amounts because free market, they can vote accordingly.

I'm pretty sure the vote on plantation states was pro-slavery. Your point is? Does human life depend on vote? That's all what a human is? Meat whose fate is decided by other blobs of meat?

the Libertarian Party has always been an irrelevance

So? Democracy was an irrelevance for a couple of thousand years. Humanism was an irrelevance for a couple of thousand years. Etc. etc.

• LV426 said: For scammers, fraudsters and crooked businesses, irreversible transactions are the Holy Grail.

That would be me.

I always carry cash and I pay for stuff with what I call real money. Non reversible. I realize that I live in a society were people often "pay" for stuff with credit and I am sometimes obliged to do the same. That's not a real payment. That's a loan from one company to the other - neither of which is me. However, us fraudsters and scammers actually prefer to pay for stuff in an honest manner.

William said: No, they change all the time, that is the intention of the network. Even if they block it everyone would just switch to port 443 and emulate SSL traffic (like Tor) does now and the Chinese won't be able to block it at all.

I realize it always changes but it cannot be beyond the Chinese firewall managers to simply get a list of current/active nodes and simply block access to those IPs.

I am not suggesting that they can really block the protocol, but they can simply block the IPs. If they block enough of the nodes, transactions cannot be verified.

I may not know the ins and outs of bitcoin but I do know that connectivity to the bigger, and particularly more trusted nodes is key to complete and verify a transaction. If you block those, will transactions really still be able to take place?

edited August 2015

deadbeef said: They also don't have access to USD, GBP, EURO etc. Point being? :)

My point is that even if they have BitCoins, there is no way for them to even transact with it. They have no access to the internet so transactions with BTC is impossible.

They may not have access to EUR/USD/GBP or what have you, but if they DID have it, they could still transact with it given they have it in their hands. BTC in North Korea is about as useful as a credit card. There will still be those in North Korea you can buy from, or bribe with in foreign currency.

I am not saying BitCoins are without value. They are like most commodities and the value is determined by the market. But they are fundamentally not much different to other currencies.

Governments may regulate currency but there is little they can do to prevent people from doing what they want with cash in hand. So the big risk in holding cash is the possibility of governments printing and devaluing the currency. But holding BTC is not really much safer since any economic Armageddon, particularly in the wealthy countries, may have significant impact on the internet. A world war may also impact the internet.

To me, BTC is just another medium to transact online. It is not the future of currency and not a safe store of value. But that's just my opinion.

• getvpsgetvps Member
    edited August 2015

BTC in my opinion is future currency, can replace any currency/payment methods. But at this time is not safe to keep this coins because value is so volatile. But is still a young currency and if we look into the future (10-20y) maybe will be used at global scale in a legit way. Physical money will disappear anyway, so is just a choice between centralized/decentralized money. In my mind bitcoin is something like physical money of this days but in virtual zone. I preffer using BTC because is fast & cheap and i don't like to share my identity with every payment i made.