Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you like fully managed KVM with 1GB RAM, 10GB SSD, 500GB Traffic @ $7/month - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How would you like fully managed KVM with 1GB RAM, 10GB SSD, 500GB Traffic @ $7/month

Comments

• @marcm said: @serverian - Is it going to be on LSN (LimeStone Networks, the folks who sent LET/LEB the DMCA take-down notice)?

Nope, not at LSN :)

• @Spirit said: This could be killer deal. Maybe not so much for tech savvy people here but generally speaking yes. I hope just that it won't kill you too :)

Do you think it's still a good deal even if it's not managed?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@serverian said: Do you think it's still a good deal even if it's not managed?

Yes it seems good offer (but there are also other factors like stable non overloaded node, good network, etc.. to make service really great)

• Semi Managed
    Price: $7/month

With a $3 upgrade to fully managed, I've had $10 stuck in my head all day for some reason.

Fully Managed
    Price: $10/month

• @connercg said: Fully Managed

Price: $10/month

That wouldn't be within $7/mo. LET/LEB guidelines anymore. I'd say $7/mo. is a good price for fully managed SSD KVM VPS with 24/7 support. @serverian FTW!

• As people have pointed out - fully managed? $7 a month. Even with NO IP, No RAM, NO CPU that wouldn't be sustainable.

Even if you only get 1 hour per month from each client, excluding any monitoring costs, etc - you're saying the cost of support is $7/hour.

Good luck but.

• 10GB is short for me, if that's not in your price range for $7, why don't you increase the price a bit and add more storage? even though it's SSD.. it runs out quick.

• @Ishaq said: 10GB is short for me, if that's not in your price range for $7, why don't you increase the price a bit and add more storage? even though it's SSD.. it runs out quick.

It'd have the ability to increase the resources as nodes, for example 2GB RAM, 20GB SSD etc at $14/month

• I'd rather not say since it's not fully decided, yet.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

7$ is a perfect price for 1GB KVM in Texas.. I have a feeling that I know the provider, as I was planning on doing the exact same thing.

On the other side 7$ fully managed will sell out so fast that you wouldn't even see it go :D

• @concerto49 said: As people have pointed out - fully managed? $7 a month. Even with NO IP, No RAM, NO CPU that wouldn't be sustainable.

Even if you only get 1 hour per month from each client, excluding any monitoring costs, etc - you're saying the cost of support is $7/hour.

Good luck but.

We are planning to get a dedicated 24/7 linux certified team from India.

• @serverian said: We are planning to get a dedicated 24/7 linux certified team from India.

I'm not going to be racist, biased or anything, but if we're looking at <$7/hour of wages (since you are outsourcing there are lots of other costs) - it's either a lack of skill, over worked staff or a lot of other problems.

As I said, good luck.

• @serverian - Why not 1TB traffic?

• @concerto49 said: I'm not going to be racist, biased or anything, but if we're looking at <$7/hour of wages (since you are outsourcing there are lots of other costs) - it's either a lack of skill, over worked staff or a lot of other problems.

As I said, good luck.

Yeah, the prices are unbelievable and the staff is RHEL certified. Never had experience with those companies, though. Just trying to make a business plan.

• @serverian - Have you worked out the margins?

• @marcm said: @serverian - Why not 1TB traffic?

Wouldn't be possible unless oversell.

• @marcm said: @serverian - Have you worked out the margins?

Still working on the numbers. Nothing is certain, yet. The 10GB space is disturbing me. But wouldn't be possible to offer more at this price point for the calculated ROI. FYI, it'll be owned hardware.

• @serverian said: Still working on the numbers. Nothing is certain, yet. The 10GB space is disturbing me. But wouldn't be possible to offer more at this price point for the calculated ROI. FYI, it'll be owned hardware.

What is the point of offering this? The purpose of LET/LEB is to offer low cost VPS servers for the hobbyist mostly.

• I'd prefer 512mb + 20GB SSD, but I'd probably buy one (since it's KVM & all).

• serverianserverian Member
    edited November 2012

@marcm said: What is the point of offering this? The purpose of LET/LEB is to offer low cost VPS servers for the hobbyist mostly.

You might be very right. This LET community is like a curse. @jarland made me follow the forum and starting from that day, I'm trying to crunch the numbers to offer plans that noone could resist. It became my white whale.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@serverian said: I'm trying to crunch the numbers to offer plans that noone could resist. It became my white whale.

It's a good resource no doubt! The challenge is pretty fun too. Plus it builds brand interest and provides you with references that, if done right, can vouch for you if anyone asks about your ability to provide higher priced services. A lot of great ways to use LEB/LET to turn a profit ;)

• @jarland - There are huge corporations who are mastering the art of "cheap" extremely well in several markets (clothing, fast food, even transportation), yet none of them has ventured in this market for a very good reason: there is no profit to be made for them. I'd say that they should take a page from your playbook, maybe they'll learn something ;)

• A race to the bottom. I would prefer a 12/5 solid well paid admin team instead of 24/7 we3care support.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@marcm said: I'd say that they should take a page from your playbook, maybe they'll learn something ;)

Could consider it the most interactive advertisement campaign ever lol. Definitely helps get your name out, if brand recognition is a problem.

• I would prefer unmanaged and would not purchase anything in this price range that claims to be fully managed.

• @JoeMerit said: I would prefer unmanaged and would not purchase anything in this price range that claims to be fully managed.

@JoeMerit - Why not? It would be managed by a RedHat certified team. That's about as solid as it gets.

• @marcm said: Why not? It would be managed by a RedHat certified team. That's about as solid as it gets.

I don't really care what the quality of the support is. The problem I have is that I have purchased 2 or 3 low end boxes that had full management (its not why I bought them) and they all dead-pooled. I'd rather the provider keep the money that they would have spent on support and be more sustainable.

• @JoeMerit said: I don't really care what the quality of the support is. The problem I have is that I have purchased 2 or 3 low end boxes that had full management (its not why I bought them) and they all dead-pooled. I'd rather the provider keep the money that they would have spent on support and be more sustainable.

@JoeMerit - Could you please list those providers?

• @marcm said: Could you please list those providers?

Their names are completely irrelevant now, they were before your time.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@serverian said: I'm trying to crunch the numbers to offer plans that noone could resist. It became my white whale.

Again, just don't end up like Captain Ahab ;-)
    If you're doing explicitely for this community to start with... then fully managed plan maybe really don't have sense for many and your listed resources are attractive enough anyway, just try to keep service as much as possible stable and be kind, userfriendly guy when someone open ticket and everyone will be happy.