Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi, yes i just got one - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi, yes i just got one

2»

Comments

• @kalam said: If you have a problem providing proof of address to the largest host in Europe,

Which is larger? Amazon or OVH?

• @jcaleb ... I am talking about copy of photo id and "utility bill" requirements if I understand OVH requirements correctly

• @geekalot i was just thinking that I am also afraid of sharing sensitive info. The only website I placed my CC are amazon and paypal as far as i can remember. Thats why I ask if OVH is as big as Amazon =)

• kalamkalam Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb said: Which is larger? Amazon or OVH?

datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/

That link was updated in April, so it is still pretty relevant. To answer your question, of the hosts in this industry that publish their numbers, OVH is the largest in the world.

• Thanks

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb If you must place a CC on file with a vendor, consider using one-time use/multiple use "virtual" CC #'s (availability depends on your bank and your country, etc).

You can set the limit, expiration date, and only one vendor can use it once it has been "swiped" the first time. And your actual card # remains protected/private.

Sorry OP, don't mean to derail your thread

• Thank you @geekalot

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

CC is sensitive info, Photo ID is not. And OVH does not require you to give them your CC, simply pay via Paypal. Besides, I sent them my driver's license which afaik unlike a passport is not even a legally recognized ID in my country (or a very low grade one, may pass for misc. uses but not for anything important).

• Which is larger? Amazon or OVH?

Amazon's AWS is puny stuff in compared to the big guys.

• @rm_

Do you set up everything identically on more than one VPS, so that "backup" ones are instantly ready to get going? And continuous online MySQL replication? >

VPS nodes are front ends, traffic hits those, not real server.

Nginx + caching static elements on the VPS'es.

Nginx proxies real backends. A-B real servers. Distributed file system for source and static files (millions of files). Do use regularly scheduled 2 minute interval rsync job as well to sync to secondary file storage that does autorotating of backups.

MySQL has two installed instances. One is live, one just in case, both are in different locations. The just in case has regular database dumps and cron jobs that does rebuilds and imports. We do this just in case anything stupid ever were to happen. Don't care to replicate a table drop now do we?

I don't touch MySQL replication.

• Yesterday i saw 1 hour setup, now it's 24 hours... anyway, doesn't matter that i need to wait coz it's soo cheap :)

• BLOPS 2

and

kimsufi servers

Are you guys serious?

• Seems like 1 hour setup is just a lie :P
    Waiting for 23 hours now ^^...

• Just got it haha

It has a nice dual core in it: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

you will not get any support with OVH, even if you pay for OVH server.

Some orders processed instantly, for some you need to wait 24 - 72 hours.

• DannyAlexDannyAlex Member
    edited November 2012

@Pzea said: use OVH atom server backup data is good

Darent to put my backup on a NO-RAID server.I would head for a buyvm storage plan.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@DannyAlex put it on two different servers, it will be safer than on a RAID on one server this way.

• is the 5TB traffic unlimited at 100mbit? or you get capped down to 10mbit once you reach the traffic quota?

• @cosmicgate Yeah. The first 5TB is at 100Mbps. Everything after that is 10Mbps.

• @rm_ said: put it on two different servers

It will certainly be safer,while it increase the cost. :(