Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi, yes i just got one
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi, yes i just got one

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited November 2012 in General

After some thinking, playing some black ops 2, i decided to get myself a nice kimsufi 2g with 500GB HDD to use as a backup server

While i'm waiting to get it online, i'm going to ask a few questions :)

Who of you got a kimsufi server?
Wich kimsufi server you got?
How fast was the setup (on their page they say 1 hour, but is that real?)
Would you rather get a VPS wich much space or a kimsufi?

Share your comments! :D

Comments

• I have an mKS - took about 13 hours to setup, when the site said 24 hours. After much reflection, I decided that I'd rather have a storage VPS + a handful of smaller VPS for the same money, so I'm handing mine back at the end of the month when the contract expires.

• @joodle said: Who of you got a kimsufi server?

I did. I got the one you just got and a Q6600 (Special).

Which kimsufi server you got?

I think I just answered that question. (its awesome)

How fast was the setup (on their page they say 1 hour, but is that real?)

About a day or two, but its because I submitted mine with VAT-exemption proof and had to wait for support to take care of it.

Would you rather get a VPS with that much space or a kimsufi?

I'd rather get a Kimsufi than a VPS personally. Of course if it was really important items then I'd use more than just one backup but a Kimsufi would definitely be one of the servers for the backups.

• When we were reselling them for people we maintained a pool of them but when we did have to order one it was generally within a hour or two sometimes a day but rarely.

Though if its a new account with them it may take a while to set up.

A VPS would prove much better performance.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2012

"Wich kimsufi server you got?"

Kimsufi 24G -Xeon W3530 (I got lucky), 24GB ram

• I prefer having several VPS's across different hosts/locations. I've had a dedicated server in the past and hated how if it went down everything was down.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Kimsufi 2G with Atom N2800.
    After I got that one I buy VPSes mostly for fun (and for Tor); it's the dedicated server where all the important stuff goes (with a backup daily to my home).

• I am with @wdq.

Distribute your systems far and wide. Dissimilar providers, different upstreams, different geography and yes, different countries.

• I got an mKS 2G, pretty happy with it :) Took ~12 hours to setup.

edited November 2012

Well, you say distribute. OK imagine you have a web forum. Do you set up everything identically on more than one VPS, so that "backup" ones are instantly ready to get going? And continuous online MySQL replication? Nah, don't kid me, you actually don't. More likely your forum is still on one VPS, and if that one goes down, so does your forum. And then you are at a dilemma: either have a huge hassle spinning everything up on a different VPS (and deal with a DB rollback losing what people posted since you last did backup), or just wait it out, since the VPS provider is probably going to fix their shit "any minute now". So I don't see how in a typical setup having multiple VPSes will save you from losing a particular service that was handled by a VPS that went down.

• @rm_ Personally I have several websites and I spread them out across different VPS's so if one VPS goes down some of my sites are still up. I also rsync between all of the VPS's so if a VPS is down for an extended period of time I can put the site back up.

edited November 2012

@wdq said: some of my sites are still up

And geez what a relief? Personally I don't see much value in having "some" sites up (and some random portion of them, even). If stuff is down and I'm fixing it, I might as well fix all the sites, and not just "some". Besides, my setup is such that there's little difference between moving "some" sites, and moving all of them.

@wdq said: I also rsync between all of the VPS's so if a VPS is down for an extended period of time I can put the site back up.

Does not work that well when your content is user-generated (which is why I took a web forum as an example), unless you rsync really often. And rsync doesn't help that much when your actual content is in a DB.

• @rm_ Rsyncing /var/lib/mysql and using localhost for everything has worked for me.

• Kimsufi 24G -Xeon W3530 (I got lucky), 24GB ram

You did not, I have the same thing - so do a lot of my friends. That's the i7 they seem to provision automatically.

• @Wintereise said: You did not, I have the same thing - so do a lot of my friends. That's the i7 they seem to provision automatically.

Everyone got lucky.

• Or that's another way to put it :P

• Kimsufi 24G. Can't find that offer on their site :/ Could anyone please link it? ;)

• @kornnflake

It was the 2012 line-up, it is gone now.
    They offer it as professional server (MG I believe) now.
    I still have one until this Friday before it expires, interested?
    I bought it at €50 ex VAT = €60

• kornnflakekornnflake Member
    edited November 2012

@BronzeByte said: I still have one until this Friday before it expires, interested?

No, but thanks, my mKS 2G is more than enough for me ;) But that Kimsufi 24G offers looks really nice.

• I ordered a mKS 2g, paid on the 7th and was delivered on the 9th. I received a Atom N2800 which it seems like a lot of people who ordered a mks got too.

• @rm_ said: Kimsufi 2G with Atom N2800.

Same :) Happy with it!

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

use OVH atom server backup data is good

• I'll get a mKS 2G this Friday as I am making my 24G expire.
    I will use the mKS 2G for development of my Xen web control panel ;)

• @Nekki what cpu does yours have?

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2012

@rm_ multi master mysql replication ftw ... a bunch of front facing vps' with a few more ready as hot spares spread out across providers & countries ... all behind gslb. Works great on the cheap

@joodle I am looking into the dedi & colo options as well; refuse to send any "proof of address" & photo id bs though; so ovh/kimsufi is not an option (for me).

Dedi (& primarily colo) to be used for billing & secure stuff.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited November 2012

They only ask for a proof of ID if you're not in one of their traditionally supported (most of Europe is supported) countries.

I gave them mine, haven't run into any issues in the last 2 years, and I don't see any coming up anytime soon.

edited November 2012

@Wintereise I will not under any circumstances provide such personal information to any hosting vendor. I am more than willing to happily walk away (no matter how sweet the deal) and find another who has terms that are more acceptable to me

Cheers

btw, from the actions I have seen or heard of from half those vendors (deadpool, runners, "summer hosts"), they should be providing that information to me

• Well, sure - if that's what you've decided on.

I'm just sharing some info :)

• @geekalot If you have a problem providing proof of address to the largest host in Europe, I don't know what to tell you. =/

• fanfan Veteran

Just got one mKS with Atom N2800, setup was a bit less than 24 hours as they guaranteed. I haven't seen any VPS deals with the same specs at the same price. xD

edited November 2012

@kalam , don't worry, I'll live .. (and they will too ;)

If you have a problem providing proof of address to the largest host in Europe, I don't know what to tell you. =/