Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CVM VPS panel, screenshots, info, and request for suggestions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CVM VPS panel, screenshots, info, and request for suggestions

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Ishaq -> Not much to explain, so I hope that you got the joke :D

It was a reference to the interface of the panel - looks a bit like Windows 8 :)

• @marcm

Oh right.. thought it was in a bad way. :P

• @Ishaq said: Oh right.. thought it was in a bad way. :P

@Ishaq - Nah, I appreciate the effort that @joepie91 has put into it. I'd recommend Twitter Bootstrap for the interface, as it would ease his workload allot. Bootstrap is pretty much developer friendly :)

• twaintwain Member
    edited November 2012

Looks freakin great.. ... and the interface... looks reeaaalll naz to me

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Spencer said: I would love it if it had a lock feature. That way you can lock a VPS so you can accidentally reinstall the wrong OS on it.

Hmm, can you elaborate? It already requires you to tick a checkbox to make sure that you've checked everything carefully, so I'm not sure what kind of lock mechanism you mean :P

@marcm said: I'd recommend Twitter Bootstrap for the interface, as it would ease his workload allot. Bootstrap is pretty much developer friendly :)

I actually very strongly dislike Bootstrap in multiple ways - it's a mess to work with (HTML Kickstart for example is much simpler to use), it looks extremely generic even when modified, and at the point where you modify it enough to make it not look generic, you might as well have made your own design.

Then again, others are free to make a Bootstrap theme of course :)

• @joepie91 said: I'd imagine there's some way to backup containers - I'd have to look into this in detail later on, though.

for openvz, vzdump.

@joepie91 said: @jarland said: Others: Take VM, shut down, compress, push to templates. Simple feature, huge time saver. Also backups of containers to directory or perhaps SFTP.

So basically automated template creation from an existing container?

This. (For openvz). Means there can be many more templates, install once exploit anywhere, Oh wait, that was Java. Install once, deploy everywhere.

@joepie91 said: Backup functionality will be included, I'm not yet entirely sure about the exact way I'm going to implement it. Needs some more thought.

You might want to take a look at Duplicity. Supports encrypted and non encrypted backups, via disk, ssh, ftp, rsync, s3 and what not. Does the incremental/full stuff very good, and the restoring is fast. Could be used as a good off site backup for the VPSes, maybe to a storage VPS plan, it is encrypted anyway.

@joepie91 said: This is also planned, but may not be part of the initial release yet.

If you would want to make a bit of money, make everything free (as in speech and beer), but this plugin/functionality not. Charge 50 bucks for it, reward for all the hard work you do.

For the rest, awesome!!!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@joepie91 said: So basically automated template creation from an existing container?

Yeah, honestly it seems so simple in concept but really does a number for saving time.

edited November 2012

@Raymii said: Charge 50 bucks for it, reward for all the hard work you do.

No thanks :) If people appreciate the work, they can donate voluntarily.

@jarland said: Yeah, honestly it seems so simple in concept but really does a number for saving time.

Will definitely implement it then :)

Is there anything you could use to assist in development? Obviously I could just donate cash, but anything specific that could help? From services to software licenses, just wondering ;)

• @jarland said: From services to software licenses, just wondering ;)

Beer, I'm sure he needs beer.

@jarland said: Is there anything you could use to assist in development? Obviously I could just donate cash, but anything specific that could help? From services to software licenses, just wondering ;)

Translations are very welcome (there's now a GitHub mirror of the repository so you can just fork, edit, and create a pull request), and at some point in the future I'll probably need access to a Hostbill license to develop a plugin for that (not sure if they require a paid license for plugin development). Other than that I can't really immediately think of anything.

@Kairus said: Beer, I'm sure he needs beer.

Nah, I don't drink alcohol :)

edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: I'll probably need access to a Hostbill license to develop a plugin

Message me for that when the time comes.

• No CVM Sponsor link ;)

Going to love this so I can play with vps's in my lab without paying up to SolusVM.

• @BronzeByte said: OpenVZ containers can be backed up from the vzctl tool which just gunzip tars your private container files.

OpenVZ containers is just a config file and a directory representing the "hard disk"

ISO's are INSTALLERS they are meant to be executed from a removable storage so the setup wizard can write the actual OS to the disk.
    You are looking for templates, not ISOs, OpenVZ has tons of free templates.

Sorry yes, i wasn't very clear on that point. What i meant is some way to dump the LVM to a .gz file.

Slight update on CVM: the panel isn't done yet, but I'm working on the installer right now... This is what it looks like so far (for a slave node):

Normally you'd be filling in those questions, but since that part of the installer isn't done yet anyway, I haven't filled in anything here.

This is the result afterwards:

The interesting part: you can change around the sources or even the installer, and just run build.sh, and it will create a self-extracting .py that you can run on basically any server to run your (modified) installer.

Update: slave node installer done

I just finished the installer for the slave nodes. It supports CentOS 5, CentOS 6, and Debian - both 32-bits and 64-bits versions. It will install both the scripts required to use the node with CVM, and OpenVZ itself (plus the tools like vzctl and vzdump). If OpenVZ is already installed, it will instead offer to import your existing containers.

The install process looks something like this:

1. Make sure Python is installed.
    2. Download and run the installer file (this is a self-extracting Python script), and answer a few questions.
    3. Grab a cup of coffee or other beverage of your choice.
    4. Reboot.
    5. SSH back in as root.
    6. Done!

Some ideas of what it looks like:

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Released for testing yet?

@AnthonySmith said: Released for testing yet?

No, not yet... still working on it. Decided to get the slave installer out of the way though, so that I can just reinstall a node if I blow it up or it otherwise becomes non-functional. Significantly decreases time needed for testing :)

edited December 2012

ok :) be sure to drop me a mail/pm when your ready for an end user critique on an end to end trail :)

Looking forward to the first non proprietary panel available that actually supports IPv6 ranges rather than a cluster of random addresses :)

@AnthonySmith said: Looking forward to the first non proprietary panel available that actually supports IPv6 ranges rather than a cluster of random addresses :)

The idea for CVM is to offer three methods of IP assignment:

1. Specified range (either in CIDR notation, or dash-separated, or comma-separated)
    2. Pick X addresses (after specifying the amount, you will get to pick which ones you want)
    3. Pick X random addresses (it'll pick the specified amount of addresses from the available pool at random)

That should cover most peoples preferences, without getting too clunky :)

• We will in theory be doing some client testing later this month at which point we'll probably be giving away ~50 VPS...

• Love the panel, looks really great. Made by a fellow Dutchie ;-)

I'd also like to see (it's mentioned before) KVM and Xen and possibly some failover functions?

• Will it be possible to setup the master in a VM on a slave node? (Install slave first, then create VM, then install master on that VM)

• @Raymii said: Will it be possible to setup the master in a VM on a slave node? (Install slave first, then create VM, then install master on that VM)

That is a bad idea for so many reasons :P

edited December 2012

@Raymii said: Will it be possible to setup the master in a VM on a slave node? (Install slave first, then create VM, then install master on that VM)

Possible? Yes. Good idea? Probably not. :P

Any particular reason you want to do that?

• Another thing which would be create, IMO, would be the ability to use multiple volume groups.

@Evixo said: Another thing which would be create, IMO, would be the ability to use multiple volume groups.

Is that possible within OpenVZ?

• @joepie91 said: Is that possible within OpenVZ?

I'm sorry, I was actually referring to KVM / Xen.

• @joepie91 said: Possible? Yes. Good idea? Probably not. :P

Any particular reason you want to do that?

For testing, so that I don't need two machines. Not in a production environment.

hmm that is a shame, another panel that does not correctly implement IPv6 :(