Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you monitor the Uptime of your LEBs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you monitor the Uptime of your LEBs?

dantesdantes Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hey,

I'm looking for a way to monitor the uptime of my websites/LEBs.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• uptimerobot.com is free and very accurate.

• +1 & BinaryCanary

• External : Uptimerobot
    Internal : maybe I only know munin :p

• I'm using StatusCake for now, they got a really nice public stats page :D

• Nagios, using the check_uptime3 plugin (mirror: http://labs.asimz.com/check_uptime3)

It alerts me when a VPS has less then 24 hours of uptime (when its rebooted etc)

• @Asim said: Nagios, using the check_uptime3 plugin (mirror: http://labs.asimz.com/check_uptime3)

It alerts me when a VPS has less then 24 hours of uptime (when its rebooted etc)

+1 for nagios,I've used it for 4 months,pretty fit with it.

• I usually have something like this in rc.local:

date | mail [email protected] -s "YYY rebooted"

Apart from this i have mrtg with remote scripts pulling interface statistics from the VPSes every 5 minutes and if it can't connect to take the statistics it will send me email too.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Custom monitoring + Munin + Observium + NodePing + Pingdom

• I'm using CopperEgg/NewRelic for critical servers, uptime robot for everything else.

CopperEgg is pretty darn awesome, and only takes a minute to set up.

• Slightly OT: does anyone using UptimeRobot monitor a Secure Dragon VPS? Mine comes back as down regardless of how I set up the monitoring, even though it's clearly running, and responding to ping/serving pages.

@Nekki I'll look into this for you if you want to open a ticket.

• @KuJoe said: @Nekki I'll look into this for you if you want to open a ticket.

Cheers, I might do that.

I haven't so far as I presumed it was an issue with Uptime Robot rather than my VPS as it runs perfectly and as far as I can tell hasn't actually been down since I started monitoring it.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki @KuJoe Uptime Robot has sent me false positives for port monitoring at some servers in the past. Never had a problem with HTTP keyword checks though.

• Pingability.

• @Nyr I assumed that there's always the chance of failed pings, I quickly installed lighttp so I had a page for the keyword check to hit, but still nothing. I'll look into it properly when I've got nothing better to do.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited November 2012

Pingdom, we're using it too.

• Internally we use Nagios
    Externally we use Uptimerobot & Monitor.us

• +1 for Pingdom .. as a free account you will get 20 SMS free as well .. . good enough for 6 months to a year .. if you have a good VPS .. also set the alert time as 2 mins .. because if you do it instantly then it might create some false alarms and you will soon run out of your free 20 SMSes.

• I use phpsysinfo, it doesn't send alerts when it goes down, but you can check the page from time to time and see its uptime and system info.

• If my LEB has had network outages, then I can live with it as long as nobody including myself notices it.
    If I experience outages when I need to be on it, or when my $ uptime pisses me off I just cancel it and move on right away.

• @BronzeByte It's nice when a box goes down for an hour or two, and no one but yourself ever notices, gives you the ability to remedy the situation without people screaming at you (and if they never notice then uptime probably wasn't critical to them).

• PS: I primarily use pingdom, though i've tried Monitor.us, I've found it to be way too slow in terms of notifying me of a possible outage.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2012

@ElliotJ said: I'm using CopperEgg/NewRelic for critical servers, uptime robot for everything else.

CopperEgg is pretty darn awesome, and only takes a minute to set up.

yup using copperegg.com, pingdom.com, host-tracker.com and dnsmadeeasy.com (fail over monitoring)

• We use Uptime robot and observium right now but will be looking at adding more tools in the future.

• Uptimerobot API to pull the data into my poorly written script.

If you're paying for monitoring I really recommend checking out NodePing, for the price you can't beat it and it's more accurate than any other monitor I've paid for.

• Thank you guys, this post is very helpful.

Is the statics graph reliable for uptime monitoring? When the memory goes to 0MB, can I say it is a downtime?

• Custom + UptimeRobot + Pingdom

• uptimed + wemonit.de