Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean started collecting VAT for EU Customers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean started collecting VAT for EU Customers

13»

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Clouvider said: And soon everyone else. That's the law, and applies to everyone.

But as usual, there are plenty of loopholes. -.- Simply found a company..

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

4n0nx said: But as usual, there are plenty of loopholes. -.- Simply found a company..

That's a legal way of working around it. But if the company will be used to only claim back VAT, and this will be for unrelated business activities (as a person you don't do any, I presume the company won't do any) that would be considered a fraud.

Not to mention accounting costs for VAT.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Clouvider said: That's a legal way of working around it. But if the company will be used to only claim back VAT, and this will be for unrelated business activities (as a person you don't do any, I presume the company won't do any) that would be considered a fraud.

Not to mention accounting costs for VAT.

Small businesses are exempt from VAT. Since I already receive money from someone (exactly as much as I spend), I would be dumb not to found a company and cash in the VAT difference as profits..

When you're exempt, you can't reclaim.

Thanked by 2Maounique 4n0nx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Clouvider said: When you're exempt, you can't reclaim.

You also do not have a valid VAT number, so you will still have to pay it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider 4n0nx

Maounique said: You also do not have a valid VAT number, so you will still have to pay it.

If you have, and there are some instances where you'll be issued VAT number when you're still not paying VAT (for example if you're not doing enough revenue, but you want to register for MOSS as you have to pay VAT to other countries) you will need to do a reverse charge and pay VAT yourself.

Next suggestion will be that you can ignore it and not pay it.

Well. You can't. We have to report all VAT numbers of our Customers and amounts of transactions every quarter via EC Sales list. This can then be compared and you fined for tax avoidance.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I see. So I will ask not to be exempt, then not have to charge any VAT because there are no European "customers".. :D

That works, yes?

If the Customers are from outside the EU, yes, you don't have to charge them VAT.
    You need to have two pieces of information to back it up though.

Thanked by 14n0nx