Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean started collecting VAT for EU Customers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean started collecting VAT for EU Customers

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    Wow. I haven't really checked. I just have the off-site copy of the status page with them so wasn't really bothered with the speed, to be honest.

Be sure to report any issues, performance problems are not ok :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Jar said: Be sure to report any issues, performance problems are not ok :)

Nah, won't do it publicly as their competitor. Wouldn't be fair.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Clouvider said:
    Nah, won't do it publicly as their competitor. Wouldn't be fair.

Sometimes, it's hard to remember that @Jar works for DO. I think he'd appreciate it on behalf of the company if you'd let him know (in a PM of course) of any issues so they can resolve them. ;-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Pwner said: if you'd let him know (in a PM of course)

Dunno what you both imagined, but somehow I believe he meant simply "file a ticket when you have a problem".

I had no idea @Jar works for DO. This post has now entirely different meaning. I will be sure to report issues found, if any!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @dediserve said:
    If you are VAT registered in the EU, enter your VAT ID in their website and

VAT WILL NOT BE CHARGED

Just like any EU company that is VAT registered can do with any EU based provider (like us).

The ONLY people who will be charged, are unregistered 'people' - not registered companies.

It's 100% a B2C issue.

It could also be a B2B issue depending on your country and tax status, in some countries you are not required to be VAT registered unless your revenue is over a certain threshold. Of course if you are selling to other countries then you probably need need to be registered. It's a right old mess to be honest.

Thanked by 1dediserve

dragon2611 said: if you are selling to other countries then you probably need need to be registered. It's a right old mess to be honest.

At least if you do e-services/intangible goods you have to be registered for MOSS. In UK to be registered for MOSS you have to be registered for VAT too, but you won't have to pay anything until you go over the threshold.

• I would rather incorp somewhere like HK than forcing my customers to pay 15-28% more that i can't even keep then...

• @William said:
    I would rather incorp somewhere like HK than forcing my customers to pay 15-28% more that i can't even keep then...

In theory you'd still have to charge Vat to EU customers.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

William said: I would rather incorp somewhere like HK than forcing my customers to pay 15-28% more that i can't even keep then...

And depending on way of operating, it might be considered fraudulent anyway.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

dediserve said: In theory you'd still have to charge Vat to EU customers.

In theory HK lawmakers and Beijing won't give a shit about EU laws...

Clouvider said: And depending on way of operating, it might be considered fraudulent anyway.

Not if you also move out of the EU.

William said: In theory HK lawmakers and Beijing won't give a shit about EU laws...

In theory tax authorities in EU countries can still take all your EU assets, most probably including money that would be bound for your HK bank account, until it leaves the EU, so no, it doesn't work that way.

Tax authorities of EU countries are enforcing this, not tax authorities of the incorporation country.

William said: Not if you also move out of the EU.

And stop doing business with the EU. Makes sense then.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

@rm_ said:
    Dunno what you both imagined, but somehow I believe he meant simply "file a ticket when you have a problem".

Either way, I'm always happy to help anyone best I can. Tickets of course for official communication, but personal conversation can be of value too :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

Clouvider said: In theory tax authorities in EU countries can still take all your EU assets, most probably including money that would be bound for your HK bank account, until it leaves the EU, so no, it doesn't work that way.

What EU assets? Just don't have servers in EU, PayPal HK is a Singapore company (PayPal PTE LTD), Mastercard, VISA and AMEX are US companies - No money ever crosses the EU in your name/company, so there is nothing they can take.

There are many large ISPs doing exactly that currently, notably Yahoos DCs in HK, China and Japan, Linode (IIRC) etc. which all do not charge EU VAT at all and likely never will.

• Yahoo, Paypal, Linode are all US corporations. It's not a question of if, but when they are compliant.

• Same thing the US wants to do. Countries want tax money even if it's being spent on places outside the country. They feel that taxing it once is not enough. They need to tax it every time it changes hands.

But w.e

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Clouvider said: Not to the EU. To the country where you're based for tax purposes.

all VAT countries are in the EU sooOOOooOOoOOooOoOoOoOoooooooooooooo....

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

So it's time to start a 'middle man' business. I don't say it is legal, but....when there is demand, there is an offer.

• PwnerPwner Member

@winnervps said:
    So it's time to start a 'middle man' business. I don't say it is legal, but....when there is demand, there is an offer.

From the recent comments you've posted today, I can conclude that you are by far the shadiest host I've seen.

Thanked by 24n0nx Clouvider
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Pwner said: From the recent comments you've posted today, I can conclude that you are by far the shadiest host I've seen.

There are whole countries of people like that. I see this attitude even in highly developed countries in smaller towns. Maybe it is human nature :D

@4n0nx said:
    all VAT countries are in the EU sooOOOooOOoOOooOoOoOoOoooooooooooooo....

Incorrect.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax Not even only on European continent:)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Clouvider said: Incorrect.

You know what I meant. Please stop being a smartass for no reason

Thanked by 1rm_
    edited July 2015

@4n0nx said:
    You know what I meant. Please stop being a smartass for no reason

Didn't meant to offend you, sorry ;)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • J1021J1021 Member

Clouvider said: Didn't mention to offend you, sorry ;)

Who mentioned mentioning anything?

Thanked by 24n0nx Clouvider
    edited July 2015

@Pwner said:

No need to quote out of context. As quote said: "There will no smoke if there is no fire. "

If you have no supporting data on contacting how you "feel" to someone, it will embrace you to contact providers without evidence, cmiiw ;) It is just a 'competitor's game'. If you don't like your competitors, you'll ruin them ;)

@kcaj mobile dictionary thought it sounds better that way ;). Corrected.

edited July 2015

@4n0nx said:
    There are whole countries of people like that. I see this attitude even in highly developed countries in smaller towns. Maybe it is human nature :D

There is no human nature. There is an economic principle. But I agree, It is the same principle that leads someone to sell IP itself, even in a highly developed countries.

• jhjh Member

I knew I shouldn't have bought Heinz beans :(

• KodisKodis Member

First Vultr now DO...

Kodis said: First Vultr now DO...

And soon everyone else. That's the law, and applies to everyone.

Thanked by 1dediserve