Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in India wanted
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in India wanted

jon617jon617 Veteran
edited November 2012 in General

Does anyone know a fairly inexpensive and RELIABLE virtual server in India? Xen or KVM preferred.

My VPS with t-rex.net.in in Hyderabad drops offline very frequently, and I want to cancel and replace it with another provider. I was paying $10 USD monthly for Xen 512MB RAM.

VPS.Net offers Xen in New Delhi, but $53/mo is way too pricey. Hostcats.com was pretty bad. I found micronetinternational.com with OpenVZ in Hyderabad, but does anyone know if they are reliable?

Comments

• I would've suggested MountSpot, but well.. http://www.mountspot.com/

• Defaced? :/

• Your best bet is to go with a known provider like VPS.net for a rare location like India. It's going to be pricey but it will be better than a cheap one with a crappy network.

• Found a couple others.
    Hostgator.in have a 384MB vps for ~$15/mo, Hostdime.in have a few, but they're a bit more expensive.

• logixmedialogixmedia Member
    edited November 2012

How about http://www.esds.co.in/vlite-vps-hosting.php, they have there own datacenter....I never had a VPS, but the ping times are good from Bangalore, they have around 4 datacenters in India.

• Thank you. I'll check them out.

• @ElliotJ said: Hostgator.in have a 384MB vps for ~$15/mo

AFAIK, Hostgator doesn't have any DC in India. The .IN version of their site is built just to address their Indian demographics properly. Hostgator.in customers are placed on the very same racks as Hostgator.com customers.

• @jon617 said: I found micronetinternational.com with OpenVZ in Hyderabad, but does anyone know if they are reliable?

Their India location is on a dedi with t-rex.net.in. The server itself is pretty reliable and the disk I/O is good enough but the network is unimpressive.

• @chinmoy said: AFAIK, Hostgator doesn't have any DC in India. The .IN version of their site is built just to address their Indian demographics properly.

It looks like they do:

>

Our Indian office is located in Nashik, Maharashtra. We offer the same top notch performance servers now hosted locally in India and on our own IP addresses. The latency to the Indian servers from within India and Asia is very low. The network path is also very short; it never travels out of India, so an international broken backbone will never affect access to your sites.

>

Can I have a hosting plan or server with India, but use American support?
    No, if you host with HostGator India, you must use the Indian support and billing, and your server will be in India.

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

@jon617 i have some experience with DC's in india and service in those (as you rightly noted about t-rex) are far from being satisfactory.

While it will be close to impossible to find a quality service at LEB prices , i can recommend two providers >

a) Tata instacompute (instacompute.com/ ) , XEN / Good uptime & performance , around three months back i had a VM there (1core/1gb) which clocked a unixbench score of 880-950.

b) CtrlS (ctrls.in) , India's only Tier 4 DC , OVZ / Highly oversold , uptimes vary , if i remember correct all the VM's i had there had clocked under 500 UB score.

I have not tried VPS.net's India DC yet .

• @ihatetonyy said: ihatetonyy 9:31AM Flag

@chinmoy said: AFAIK, Hostgator doesn't have any DC in India. The .IN version of their site is built just to address their Indian demographics properly.

It looks like they do:

Hostgator's India page:

Our Indian office is located in Nashik, Maharashtra. We offer the same top notch performance servers now hosted locally in India and on our own IP addresses. The latency to the Indian servers from within India and Asia is very low. The network path is also very short; it never travels out of India, so an international broken backbone will never affect access to your sites.

Can I have a hosting plan or server with India, but use American support?

No, if you host with HostGator India, you must use the Indian support and billing, and your server will be in India.

Hostgator doesnt have a DC in india , they co-locate with CtrlS . I've read somewhere that they are the largest clients of Ctrls.in. Hostgator operates out of both Ctrls's Mumbai (bombay) & Hyderabad DC's

• @praveenbhat said: praveenbhat 7:28AM Flag

How about http://www.esds.co.in/vlite-vps-hosting.php, they have there own datacenter....I never had a VPS, but the ping times are good from Bangalore, they have around 4 datacenters in India.

ESDS is way too terrible , support takes forever to respond and even when they do , you will find it head over heels to find the logic in their reply. Even worse their sales doesn't have a clue about what Virtualisation is or doesn't understand half the jargon put up on their own website. I would never reccomend them ,unless if you want to burn your fingers and learn it the hardway like i did

• @gameon thanks for the info, I was planning to get a VPS from ESDS, now I wouldn't.

Ctrls.in are over selling for sure, and they make unsolicited calls. Funny thing is I got a call from them, even though I had not given my number in the inquiry form on there website. I wonder from where they got my number.

Also I applied for the free trial of Tata instacompute (http://www.instacompute.com/ ) , lemme check there offering.

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

@gameon thanks for the info, I was planning to get a VPS from ESDS, now I wouldn't.

Ctrls.in are over selling for sure, and they make unsolicited calls. Funny thing is I got a call from them, even though I had not given my number in the inquiry form on there website. I wonder from where they got my number.

Also I applied for the free trial of Tata instacompute (http://www.instacompute.com/ ) , lemme check there offering.

@praveenbhat Well yeah CtrlS sales is a PITA. btw You would get a call back from TATA soon to confirm & setup your account. Once you have an account do a benchmark with serverbear and post your finds.

• @jon617 said: I found micronetinternational.com with OpenVZ in Hyderabad, but does anyone know if they are reliable?

on this page (http://www.ctrls.in/about-ctrls/clients-testimonials/) i found Microinternational Being listed as a CtrlS client , so they might be either reselling directly or offering service out of purchased dedi's from CtrlS , or may be even co-locating with them. Not sure , never used them.

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

@ElliotJ said: Hostdime.in have a few, but they're a bit more expensive.

Hostdime india is probably a JV with another company i guess (as i've felt their support not even half as good/proffesional as Hostdime US) . The plans are way too expensive and they severely lack bandwidth , also the network is crappy.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

I know only of one for LEB prices (it's MicroNet which you mentioned): http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5543/6.53-openvz-in-india-w-256mb-ram-20gb-disk-200gb-bw
    Not sure about reliability though, never used them.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Try vr.org

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

@jon617 said: Does anyone know a fairly inexpensive and RELIABLE virtual server in India?

Won't happen. Mountspot is crap. India's networking infrastructure, albeit suitable for spam, is terrible for hosting. 5 - 10 hops within India which Mountspot was using CtrlS to get to your data center is terrible.

edited November 2012

@bamn said: 5 - 10 hops within India

So? As if many hops mean anything. On the contrary, they mean the provider has a clue and chose not to hide their network for traceroutes, which helps diagnosing ping and packet loss issues. There are some quality networks with multiple hops per city on traceroutes, and some crappy networks where the whole thing always shows up as one hop on your trace.

Will not disagree about the rest of your post regarding MountSpot, though.

• @rm_ said: So? As if many hops mean anything.

Use CtrlS and you will change your tune. Funny how spam flows so good from India considering this issue

@bamn said: Use CtrlS and you will change your tune. Funny how spam flows so good from India considering this issue

What tune? I am only saying that more hops do not mean worse network quality. Maybe you are right and CtrlS is crap, but that's certainly not because their network is set up in a way that shows many hops on the traceroute.

• AutoBoot(R)? :()

• Worth me adding a category for Indian VPSes? Always been interested to know what the market is like there, seems most people there tend to go for US hosts.

• @gameon funny that I have still not got a call from Tata instacompute. Maybe they are not working today. How was your experience with there cloud?

@serverbear yeah in India the hosting solutions are kind of expensive and the experience is not that good too. There is a difference of 10x in pricing compared to US Hosts in VPS and Dedicated Servers.In shared hosting the pricing difference is not too big. In terms of ping latency, US hosts are 100 to 150 ms higher compared to Indian datacenters.

• @serverbear, geography should always be a consideration in categorization of providers.

Certainly a huge market for India VPSes. Ditto for China. Collectively a big chunk of the world population resides there.

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

@praveenbhat when i signed-up i got a verification call in under 6 hours or so (don't rem exactly now) that was like 3-4 months back. My exp with them has been the best so far in any indian DC , nodes are solid /uptime was really good and their network is fantastic - not too many hops. Communication from support personnel were very clear/legible , i remember that couple of times i had some hiccups with the VM they readily chipped in to help even-though the package was unmanaged.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Nexus

Yes?

• @gameon sorry, I got the call and I have been signed up for the trial account too. But as I am occupied with something else, unable to start the instance. It is kind of confusing though with regards to the Public IP. I will test it tonight.