Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Backup Server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Backup Server?

2»

Comments

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

@ShardHost said: We're in the UK; however we frequently need to buy drives for our US servers.

If that's the case then you could definitely get some nice pricing from places like NewEgg, SuperBiiz and MaLabs. From what I know, those places don't have any limits and have lots of stock.

Edit: NewEgg has a limit :(

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Brandon -

Speak to Dacentec. I've got a clients server there. They're extremely helpful and support is pretty quick. They were within their 24 hour agreement when setting up the server as well. Client hasn't had any issues as far as I am aware!

Also take a look at Incero's dollar upgrades. I've heard good things about Ionity too.

:)

• @Brandon said: affordable and not located in Dallas or Toronto.

Some sort of issue with Dallas?

• @Corey said: Some sort of issue with Dallas?

Im guessing as it's for the Dallas nodes that he is looking for geographical diversity.

• @Corey said: Some sort of issue with Dallas?

I want to have a geographically different location. I currently offer services out of Toronto and Dallas.

• @ShardHost said: Im guessing as it's for the Dallas nodes that he is looking for geographical diversity.

Yeah I don't want all my eggs in one basket :)

Are the dacentec rto's within budget?

• Any Rent to Own specials might work :) Often hard to find with the Gbps and multiple large drives, while still being "affordable".

I highly recommend co-locating equipment though.

Can acquire prior generation refurbed and end of lease servers and add the drives you need. That probably is a 3-6 month break even compared to renting a server like these current offers.

• Do you guys have any RTO recommendations?

• Well, Dacentec has been running a L5420 (8 cores) special for a while now. Imagine you can buy and ship a drive or pay for the upgrade. Lots of VPS providers offering out of Lenoir, North Carolina, are using this special from them:

Unmanaged HP Dedicated $65.00/month
    Used HP SE1101 2x L5420 Xeon Quad Core 2.5GHz 16GB ECC RAM 500GB Enpterise SATA
    HW RAID / SAS Upgrades available.
    Gigabit Port
    10 TB monthly transfer.
    1 Free IP
    Free Lantronix IP KVM loan on request
    Rent To Own - Pay for 12 months and the server is yours, continue colo or take the server.
    Hardware replacement including disk is free during the rental period.
    Remote Reboot
    Automated OS Installs
    Bandwidth Graph
    UNMANAGED
    NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
    https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=58

Colounlimited in Dallas, Texas, a rent to own promo:

ColoU E-1230 Lease-To-Own Server Special
    Supermicro 4 bay hot swap
    E3-1230
    8GB RAM
    1 1TB SATA
    8 IP Address
    100 Mbps unmetered
    $79.00 + $99 for the bandwidth = $178/mo

Additional drive and RAID controller options available:
    https://www.colounlimited.com/colou-e-1230-lease-to-own-server-special

Dacentec :D

• IonityIonity Member
    edited November 2012

@luma said: Send an email to >@ionity.

>

They have good servers with great networks in good location(s). They can give you a >quote etc.

>

Send me a PM if you need an ip to ping/test.

sales AT ionity ledot com

>

Thanks for the mention!