Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Backup Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Backup Server?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited November 2012 in General

I am looking for a dedicated backup server with around 2TB of usable disk space and a 1gbps port. It has to be affordable and not located in Dallas or Toronto.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

E-mail [email protected] and tell him your needs. Don't just go straight to their order form.

• Thanks! I'm still a bit sceptical about CM though but I'll look into it.

My system had a couple reboots, they said they had some power issues but resolved them. Other than that, no issues to report. I moved to kimsufi because of the price of their new offerings, but that's the only reason.

• I'm actually looking for the exact same thing, except I prefer to not use Kimsufi, as the connection to OVH's network from our Dallas nodes is pretty bad.

• CommercialMedia Day 1: Wow, we'll be glad to tailor you to your needs

Past day 1.5, they literally drop of the side of the planet, and it's super hard to contact them.

• My budget isn't that small to have to stick to a company like OVH or CM. I am just looking for a good valued server from a reputable company.

edited November 2012

@lele0108 said: Past day 1.5, they literally drop of the side of the planet, and it's super hard to contact them.

Weird, I mean I've had a couple days response time but there hasn't been an emergency (nor would there be for what I was doing). Maybe Dacentec? Not an issue there, incredible support and service.

• Send an email to @ionity.

They have good servers with great networks in good location(s). They can give you a quote etc.

Send me a PM if you need an ip to ping/test.

sales AT ionity ledot com

• @luma said: Send an email to @ionity.

They have good servers with great networks in good location(s). They can give you a quote etc.

Send me a PM if you need an ip to ping/test.

sales AT ionity ledot com

I'll look into them.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

www.choopa.com

• @Fliphost said: www.choopa.com

Why do you recommend Choopa?

• what is your price range? affordable could mean anything

• Choopa has some amazing deals.

@Brandon Well, network is good. Support is friendly and helpful. As well as some of their servers supporting up to 10 drives, leaving good room to expand if needed.

Our node backup servers are located there and tomorrow we are launching storage VPS's in their data center as well.

• How about ColoCrossing?

• @mikehighend said: How about ColoCrossing?

I wouldn't consider them affordable.

• @Brandon so what's your budget?

• @Fliphost are you getting custom quotes? Everything they list on their site seems ridiculously overpriced, i.e $39/mo for 500GB SATA II drives, $79/mo for 5TB of bandwidth.

Crazy.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

FDCServers

• Try DataShack?

@Yes, custom

• 1 Gbps + 2TB drive = custom quotes. Those specs aren't lowend.

Try Datashack: https://www.datashack.net/

Try Incero's MegaPlan builder and then see if they have a custom quote or special:
    https://order.incero.com/display/13

Looking at $200+ a month probably anywhere.

I'd try looking in the older server dust bins for better pricing though. For backups you don't need latest hardware with highest costs.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited November 2012

removed

• @ihatetonyy said: Try DataShack?

I don't believe they offer hardware RAID.

• My budget is around $250 / month.

Save money, rent something cheap and mail them 4x 2TB drives, two for RAID1 and two spares.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited November 2012

Thanks for your advice everyone. I decided to just build another server myself and ship it out to be colocated. Ends up being a lot more affordable that way.

• @Brandon said: Thanks for your advice everyone. I decided to just build another server myself and ship it out to be colocated. Ends up being a lot more affordable that way.

Any tips for picking up 2tb HDD? Every drive I want has a limit of 5 per customer and can't find 12 of the same drive across suppliers!

• @ShardHost I usually buy parts from either NewEgg or a local computer store called Canada Computers: http://www.canadacomputers.com. They typically don't have any limits at all unless the item is on sale. Whereabouts are you?

• We're in the UK; however we frequently need to buy drives for our US servers.