Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is wordpress a good choice? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is wordpress a good choice?

2»

Comments

• @pubcrawler why does that bother you?

• Cause @winston, we don't run no stinking FTP.

You'd think they'd provide other "secure" methods of doing what they need.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@winston said: I was thinking Drupal might work for this too - but ever since Drupal 7 came out I've found it incredibly difficult to use.

I think the Drupal is more complicated in comparison to wordpress

• @NickM said: I'm a fan of Blite, by @sleddog. Sure, it doesn't have the massive featureset of Wordpress or other CMSes

That's 'cause it's a blog, not a CMS :)

Whatever happened to the "do one thing and do it well" philosophy?

• @RosenCruz said: With a good SEO plugin

All in One SEO actually hurts your site. I've disabled 3 instances of AIO SEO, including on one of my most popular sites, and the SEO increased without AIO SEO. I think with the default keywords you set in the configuration that you come across as keyword spamming

• @sleddog said: That's 'cause it's a blog, not a CMS :)

>

Whatever happened to the "do one thing and do it well" philosophy?

I feel that there's a fair amount of overlap in the two. At the very least, a blog should have some basic CMS-like features, like being able to easily create a page, rather than a blog entry. Even if it's as simple as putting pages in a separate directory on the server and it automatically including the global styling of the blog, it's useful.

• @bamn , agreed. All in One SEO experience was not good for me either. But Yoast Wordpress SEO was awesome and I was able to get into first page of Google on some of my target keywords. Huge traffic increase. I ve donated the coder a few coffees since then and planning to send more.

• You'd think they'd provide other "secure" methods of doing what they need.

It only asks for FTP if it fails to write on the three wp- prefixed directories, nothing wrong with a temporary chmod to allow replacing, you know.

Or run suexec, etc. You're complaining for no reason.

• I like Wordpress for blogs, but I would not use it as a backend for any business site, it's too iffy sometimes with security risks, also beware any theme with scripts in it because those scripts could be outdated and pose a security risk as well.

• @Wintereise said: You're complaining for no reason.

WP haters gonna hate

• M66BM66B Veteran

Depending on your needs, this upcoming new alternative might be a solution: https://ghost.org/

Less resource intensive as WordPress, but you need to setup nodejs for it, which some experience as difficult (but really isn't).

• That necrothreading. @Nekki, close or sink?

• wychwych Member

I use WP or flat code things, but thats just me.

• As a newbie in WP, you might find it really hard to set things up. But if you can think of something in the spectrum of websites, it's almost always possible with wordpress. I face a couple hard-to-solve wordpress issues, but then you can find the solutions through wordpress.org.

And if you need a crash course, there are tonnes of

• Go with WordPress, it's superb. It's not a silver bullet, but it's the best control panel at the moment.

• akzakz Member

wp is good but you gotta have thr proper security in place. your site will attract alot more unwanted attention especially if your plugins are unknowingly leaving a door open.