Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is wordpress a good choice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is wordpress a good choice?

winstonwinston Member
edited November 2012 in Help

I'm looking to re-make this website (moreso as a fun project) but I'm not sure if wordpress is good for it (that being said, I've never used wordpress for a project)

The URL: http://www.bengies.com/Home.php

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Wordpress is a canvas. In my opinion, availability of plugins and themes makes it one of the easiest ways to make a website. I would recommend it.

Thanked by 1Jono20201
  • @jarland said: Wordpress is a canvas. In my opinion, availability of plugins and themes makes it one of the easiest ways to make a website. I would recommend it.

Agreed.

• @jarland thanks, but I'm kinda worried about setting the navigation properly - is this something wordpress can easily do?

• Many WordPress themes have built in navigation bars and widgets that you can setup to show what you'd like.

• mahjongmahjong Member
    edited November 2012

Wordpress can do nearly anything. It has a great API and a lot of wiki/tutorials/howto's to shorten the learning period.

Also of course FREE pre-written themes and plugins, a lot of them, can extend functionality further without any programming knowledge.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@winston It varies. Maybe a theme you pick does it its own way, maybe you use the default. It's usually not difficult but it can change by the theme you choose to start from...and I recommend starting from a simple theme. Remember that at default, it's designed for non technical people.

• @wdq oh sweet, thanks

@mahjong I have experience with PHP/MySQL, but I've seen tons of sites using wordpress - so I can imagine it's fairly easy to get the hang of

@jarland Yeah the hard part now is finding a theme that kinda matches the current site's theme. I'd imagine it'd be easy to get the hang of since I have more experience than non-technical people :D.

• You could always make a theme using the site's current design and then upload it to wordpress.

• I personally prefer basing my sites off of frameworks like the Genesis framework.

• Wordpress can work brilliantly as a CMS with just a bit of tweaking; if you need a site that's unique quickly and easily, it's a great choice.

That said, I don't know that it's the most secure or efficient choice - though I don't believe it to be particularly horrid in either area.

• It's quite versatile if you know how to use it. Unfortunately many people don't, they clutter it up with broken plugins and don't properly set up caching, ends up becoming a slow cpu-hogging CMS. But once configured correctly, and plugins chosen wisely it can be an efficient and fast CMS for either a blog or general website.

Security wise, there's a number of things out there you can do to improve it, but one of the biggest ones is simply turning off XML-RPC feature, and email-posting. But most of the security issues are corrected at the webserver/php level.

• The great thing about WordPress, is the number of people actively contributing to it - Be it themes, plugins or to the project itself.

I was watching a recent WordPress conference talk by Matt himself, which estimates that 60% of people using WordPress are using it as a CMS; not primarily as a blog.
    When you further consider the number of times WordPress 3.4.3 alone has been downloaded, and that doesn't include the auto-installs by Web Hosts, it shows (statistically) that WordPress is great for this usage.

With that in mind, it might be worth having a look at PageLines for a starting place, or any other of the many frameworks available.

• Wordpress is great for building web sites and it can do everything (even if sometimes there are other CMS that will do the job easier).

I have used Wordpress for a lot of projects the past 4-5 years. I never had a problem with the security as long as the admin was updating it.

The community is huge and helping. I have posted 1 free plugin on the exentions directory and there were downloads since the 1st minute.

There are countless tutorials and most of the time you can find out how to do what you want to.

• "wordpress is an unauthenticated remote shell that, as a useful side feature, also contains a blog."

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

its the most popular cms in the world. you cant go wrong. its made to be very easy to use

• Beware of what plugins you use though, I can't quote a source but I remember reading that 3rd parties plugins are the cause of most security issues in WordPress.

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

@draco said: Beware of what plugins you use though, I can't quote a source but I remember reading that 3rd parties plugins are the cause of most security issues in WordPress.

Download/install from trustworthy source / keep updating to latest versions whenever they are out , use secure credentials , Optimize DB/code periodically to prevent injections.. and you are good to go

• @draco said: I can't quote a source but I remember reading that 3rd parties plugins are the cause of most security issues in WordPress.

4+ years here using WP

Most security issues are indeed 3rd party plugins (sometimes 3rd party themes using vulnerable PHP code like TimThumb from about a year ago) and a lot of the ugly Wordpress security stuff comes from somebody's HostMonster shared hosting being hacked by a scanner then PHP code injected in all the PHP pages. I know a guy who this recently happened to and he hired Securi to clean it up. Not sure how much it cost him but he learned a lesson about shared hosting

• @nickm haha love that quote, was about to post it here.

• With a good SEO plugin and enhanced security, I believe Wordpress is an awesome product

• I'm a newbie and it is interesting for me that nobody suggest an alternative to wordpress.

• WordPress has to be the most popular CMS out there. I have tried others and the security/flexibility/ community of WordPress is a lot better.

• Hello! New member here ^_^

I have to agree with everyone, WP is certainly the way to go. Have been using it for a couple years myself and you can find its community on every corner. If you have a problem, usually someone already had that problem and a fix was posted.

You won't be let down with WP as a CMS!

• I was thinking Drupal might work for this too - but ever since Drupal 7 came out I've found it incredibly difficult to use.

• @winston said: I was thinking Drupal might work for this too - but ever since Drupal 7 came out I've found it incredibly difficult to use.

And pretty much resource hogging IIRC

• As for alternatives to Wordpress, I'm a fan of Blite, by @sleddog. Sure, it doesn't have the massive featureset of Wordpress or other CMSes, but its coming along nicely, and I've been working on hacking in some new features to it, which I plan to send to sleddog for possible inclusion in an upcoming release.

• Wordpress is good as long as you have time to code your work into wordpress.

/oftopic drive in movies still exist?!!

• Wordpress is alright. But requires plugins to accomplish most things.

Get use to regular software updates for the core code as well as plugins. Puts a big red attack me sign on your site also. Regular exploit issues with Wordpress based sites.

Me, I try to avoid it and give other lesser known competitors a try.

• @lele0108 yes they do :D!

@pubcrawler it upsets me/bothers me when there's updates available

• @winston, bothers me that Wordpress install requires FTP access for core update.