Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do if you've compromised root access to servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do if you've compromised root access to servers

13»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@perennate not sure why you decided to back quote edit my response and completely re-write your initial response I replied to rather than making a new post but ho hum...

perennate said: Perhaps you can clarify why you think @gupici reflects anything related to Luna Node? I'm still confused why you brought the company up at all.

I don't know why I out right said why, read up.

perennate said: Do you think that, just because an employee of Luna Node happens to live with the OP, the company should be responsible for vigilante action such as logging onto @gupici's computer and reporting anything suspicious to CSIS?

No.

perennate said: Or maybe @hbjlee17 should find somewhere else to live (oh, and somewhere else to work too)?

Maybe yeah.

perennate said: I'm not sure what's going on in your head, but if @gupici told me or @hbjlee17 that he was going to post something stupid like this, both of us would have told him not to.

That was kind of my point.

perennate said: like I said, I don't even know him, so why the hell would he tell me anything?). I wasn't even aware that @gupici was @hbjlee17's co-worker/neighbor when I first commented in this topic.

I have no idea, I also had no idea you had any connection to lunanode until going through this just now, I understand more at this point what your issue is then (as of 5 seconds ago)

perennate said: It seems like you're still not understanding, so I'll try one last time -- @hbjlee17 isn't @gupici's father or brother and does not have control over @gupici's actions. It's silly to involve @hbjlee17 and Luna Node, claiming that both should be doing something about this individual; in fact, you're a moderator here, shouldn't you be cleaning up shit like this?

No I understand perfectly, a LunaNode employee lives with someone involved in malicious action and shares the same network as them, would not be my first choice but that's all on you.

perennate said: Anyway, I'm done with this topic, it's sad to see someone who is both a LET moderator and a hosting provider operator resort to mincing other's words and exaggerating links between people/entities.

I am not resorting to anything, just laying it out as find it, sorry if that annoys you but it is what it is.

• @Clouvider said:

Rules that are not enforced, do not apply.

Thanked by 24n0nx The_creator
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited July 2015

@hostnoob said:
    Surely white hat also includes letting the server owner know?

I feel like the implication here is that if a "white hat" did do this, it would be accidental, or unintended, and they'd realize that this is a problem, and thus leave it alone, doing nothing. I could be wrong, but that sounds fairly ethical to me. My idea of ethical doesn't include putting your neck on the line to reveal you may have done something illegal in most countries and putting yourself at risk, even if it was an accident or unintended.

Simply leaving it alone, doing nothing, and saying nothing is probably as ethical as it gets without trying to be a white knight in shining armor. That is another thing entirely.

My own personal scenario would probably go a bit like this really, namely if I found myself in a remote system, I'd probably just cover that I was there, and do nothing else, and move on.

Thanked by 1bitseeker
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

AnthonySmith said: I am not resorting to anything, just laying it out as find it, sorry if that annoys you but it is what it is.

You misunderstand. It's not annoying. It's insulting.

You quote comments, but then twist them and pretend like they said something completely different. Just look at how you intprereted this:

long day at work, wasn't processing what I read when i replied. :p

As:

lunanode condone the "forget the ethical bullshit" attitude then and have compromised someones servers?

And later take the fact that a Luna Node employee lives in the same complex as someone who makes dumb posts on LET, as though he supports posting this spam because he doesn't have precognitive abilities. And then you go further and pretend like it's a fact that OP conducts malicious actions when he just makes dumb hypothetical posts.

Do you seriously believe people should find another place to live just because their neighbor is a moron?

Anyway can we please get that ignore functionality on here? I can't stand reading posts by people like this.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

@deadbeef said:

if that's what you believe in.

perennate said: You misunderstand. It's not annoying. It's insulting.

You quote comments, but then twist them and pretend like they said something completely different. Just look at how you intprereted this:

Well its not intended to be insult, I cant be responsible for your own sensitivity, regarding the "Twist" the fact that you back quoted and changed your entire post is just ridiculous so lets not get in to the twists.

perennate said: Do you seriously believe people should find another place to live just because their neighbor is a moron?

Is it common for a neighbor to share an IP in Canada then? please fill me in if this the case, certainly not common in the UK.

For clarity I am under the impression they are not neighbors and do in fact live in the same house on share the same physical network, my underlying point here being I I found out that one of my staff (keeping mind the industry we are in) was sharing a house with a "moron" that engages in these sorts of things and had physical access to my staffs network I would certainly not be defending them to this degree and a P45 (Employment termination) would be issued due to risk.

I am not twisting anything, I am putting it how I see it, I cant help it if you don't agree with me, I don't take it personal if you don't and lastly I do not require you to agree either.

tl;dr

They live in the same house.

They share the same IP and physical network.

One of them works for Luna Node.

One of them likes to root servers.

I really don't understand why anyone other than someone with a vested interest in defending them would see that as anything but... "Sketchy" even if 1 party is completely innocent, you don't roll around near dirt and not expect to get dirty.

If the reality is that they don't occupy the same physical space or network, not sure how that could be but who knows, then you have my apologies.

• ladies, put the handbags away.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

AnthonySmith said: One of them likes to root servers.

Already told you, "And then you go further and pretend like it's a fact that OP conducts malicious actions when he just makes dumb hypothetical posts.". OP does not hack servers. I see you're still twisting the facts; strange for someone who claims that they're "not resorting to anything, just laying it out as find it".

AnthonySmith said: Is it common for a neighbor to share an IP in Canada then? please fill me in if this the case, certainly not common in the UK.

For clarity I am under the impression they are not neighbors and do in fact live in the same house on share the same physical network, my underlying point here being I I found out that one of my staff (keeping mind the industry we are in) was sharing a house with a "moron" that engages in these sorts of things and had physical access to my staffs network I would certainly not be defending them to this degree and a P45 (Employment termination) would be issued due to risk.

@hbjlee17 rents a room in the same townhouse. I mentioned this several times. This townhouse provides an external network connection. OP does not have access to any network or server owned by Luna Node.

AnthonySmith said: I really don't understand why anyone other than someone with a vested interest in defending them would see that as anything but... "Sketchy" even if 1 party is completely innocent, you don't roll around near dirt and not expect to get dirty.

I really don't understand why anyone other than someone with a vested interest in attacking Luna Node would bring the company up at all in an unrelated conversation (and then proceed to make up excuses to pretend otherwise).

perennate said: "And then you go further and pretend like it's a fact that OP conducts malicious actions when he just makes dumb hypothetical posts.".

Proof it was hypothetical or not?... I dont see any mention of it.

perennate said: OP does not hack servers

Sure sounds like it.

perennate said: "not resorting to anything, just laying it out as find it".

I stand by that as above.

perennate said: rents a room in the same townhouse. I mentioned this several times. This townhouse provides an external network connection.

Which they both share i.e. the same physical network as I said, not sure why you need to repeat this, so they are not 'Neighbors' , they live in the same house of multiple occupation, e.g. share a living room and kitchen perhaps or did I missunderstand?

perennate said: OP does not have access to any network or server owned by Luna Node.

My point being "that you know of". your employee uses the same IP as the OP its not a stretch I don't know why you cant accept that.

perennate said: I really don't understand why anyone other than someone with a vested interest in attacking Luna Node would bring the company up at all in an unrelated conversation (and then proceed to make up excuses to pretend otherwise).

I already covered that, and if an Inception hosting employee did the same thing as the OP I would fully expect the same.

• Nomad said: @HostMyBytes said: How about notifying the owner of the server? Maybe run "exit"?

Err...

gupici said: Lets keep the ethic bullshit out of this thread.

I wouldn't call ethics "bullshit", but that's just me.

edited July 2015

How about this then:

I did not know you owned lunanode @perennate and from your staff's first post I assumed he did, I acknowledge that was obviously a mistake on my part.

The reason for my "this does not smell right" attitude was because both the OP and at the time thought to be lunanode owner shared the same IP, and one of them was talking about rooting servers (perhaps hypothetical perhaps not).

I don't think its unreasonable to think what I did given the info at hand at the time, since them it is clear that the first response from your staff was just that one of your staff and was not a lunanode shareholder/owner, I still would not be comfortable with it if it was my staff but it is none of my business to tell you how to run your staff.

You can accept it or not that I did not set out to attack lunanode I was reacting to the info I had at the time which is not completely accurate it seems, there is no need to drag lunanode in to this further just because your staff member lives with someone who posted a questionable/unethical post so I will delete all reference to lunanode from this post?

Sound reasonable?

The back and forth is pointless at this stage, we have different view points and clearly will not agree to anything but to disagree.

• @gupici said:
    Lets keep the ethic bullshit out of this thread.
    What would you do?

Authorized?
    Then you can retrieve proof of concept and inform the owner / client (as it would be if it was authorized)

Unauthorized?
    Log out.
    Burn your hard drives.

• bitseekerbitseeker Member
    edited July 2015

@Setsura said:
    I feel like the implication here is that if a "white hat" did do this, it would be accidental, or unintended, and they'd realize that this is a problem, and thus leave it alone, doing nothing. I could be wrong, but that sounds fairly ethical to me.

Yes, that was the gist I was trying to get across with the white hat scenario. Unfortunately, the risk that a not-too-savvy server owner would shoot the messenger is too high. Hence, a white hat who, for whatever reason, accidentally found himself where he shouldn't be would just step away rather than get his head proverbially blown off for nothing. It would be nice if notifying the server owner wasn't so risky.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

The guys staying they would always report security issues haven't reported many to big, bureaucratic enterprises, I assume. No way I'm reporting anything to them except if they have a bug bounty program.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    If the reality is that they don't occupy the same physical space or network, not sure how that could be but who knows, then you have my apologies.

Where in hell did you learn that?
    Everyone is given a IPv4 address via DHCP these days. (every 7.5 days, your public IPv4 resets unless you pay $5/month)

(there's a trick to get more addresses with one broadband/dsl/fiber line and account: but that isn't for everyone to know)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited July 2015

FlamesRunner said: every 7.5 days, your public IPv4 resets

Mine does every day. Have been banned from forums because of that -_-

edit: also using a VPN soooOoOoOooo...

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited July 2015

FlamesRunner said: Everyone is given a IPv4 address via DHCP these days. (every 7.5 days, your public IPv4 resets unless you pay $5/month)

Yes, but the IP doesn't necessarily change. As long as my cable modem doesn't disconnect longer than 2 weeks or so, I'll keep the same IP forever. It's also DHCP, but the lease just gets endlessly renewed.

However as Antony mentioned that they were both online at nearly the same time, there's not much else too discuss. Never heard of a townhouse with one internet connection for all neighbors, so they probably share parts of their homes.

• AnthonySmith said: Is it common for a neighbor to share an IP in Canada then?

I'm not commenting on the discussion Anthony, but purely as an aside in regard to the IP thing. Where I live in Canada I would guess that a couple hundred are using the same IP. The ISP uses NAT. I had a problem with that and they gave me my own IP but everyone else for miles around is on the same number.

if the isp uses CGNAT then fair enough, I did not think that was that common yet, that would explain why its the same ip 10 minutes apart.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2015

If i suspect that any of mine machines are compromised it gets pulled of the electric grid instantly. Luckily this usually doesn't happen. I've had a few odd behaviour false positives so far, to all of which i've located the actual problem.
    On the other hand, all "real security breaches" have been purposely allowed and sandboxed then closely monitored, tracked and inspected in order to discover the attacker and his purpose.

Theoretically speaking, if for some reason, i would find a vulnerability in some system, i would not damage the system and i would contact the system administrator ASAP with detailed explanation of the problem and suggested fix.