Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do if you've compromised root access to servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do if you've compromised root access to servers

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

deadbeef said: Well, as some guy said around 2300 years ago (no kidding), "it's only illegal if they catch you".

No. It's always illegal. And immoral.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mike1smike1s Member

rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would ask why you have 2 active accounts on LET used 10 minutes apart from the same IP? @hbjlee17 @gupici and suggest you do the right thing.

You know when you have a really shit day and someone else could have done 1 simple thing to prevent all that? don't be that guy.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Tell them

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

@AnthonySmith

@gupici and I work at the same place, we also live at the same place. May I ask what the "right thing" is that you are suggesting me to do?

edit: nevermind, you were suggesting @gupici to do the right thing, not me.

hbjlee17 said: @AnthonySmith

@gupici and I work at the same place, we also live at the same place. May I ask what the "right thing" is that you are suggesting me to do?

Fair enough then :)

If I need to tell you what the right thing is there is little point in explaining it.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    If I need to tell you what the right thing is there is little point in explaining it.

long day at work, wasn't processing what I read when i replied. :p

edited July 2015

hbjlee17 said: long day at work, wasn't processing what I read when i replied. :p

No worries, so your saying that you condone the "forget the ethical bullshit" attitude then and have compromised someones servers?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

AnthonySmith said: No worries, so your saying that you condone the "forget the ethical bullshit" attitude then and have compromised someones servers?

@gupici does not have anything to do with Luna Node. In the comment above that you quoted, @hbjlee17 was assuming that you understood this (since you said "fair enough then"), and so @hbjlee17 was apologizing for making an earlier comment where he was basically asking you what you were talking about (he initially thought that you were pointing the suggestion "do the right thing" at him, but when he commented later he thought that you were pointing it at @gupici; now it seems the former was the case). I fail to understand why you decided it'd be a good idea to twist his words and start pretending that his comment was condoning some set of hacker ethics rather than simply an apology. Do you seriously read this comment:

long day at work, wasn't processing what I read when i replied. :p

As:

lunanode condones the "forget the ethical bullshit" attitude, and we have compromised other people's servers

Seriously? It looks like you're just making up "bullshit". You'd think moderators on this forum would think and use a little bit of logic before blindly attacking a company, especially when the moderator operates a company in the same industry.

(edited this post several hours later for clarity)

Ok, so he lives with someone that does this. my mistake.

• gupicigupici Member
    edited July 2015

I dont work at Lunanode. lol. stop assuming stuff.
    And where does it say that I hack ppl's stuff?

edited July 2015

AnthonySmith said: Ok, so he lives with someone that does this. my mistake.

I don't know what @gupici does. Frankly, I don't care, because neither I nor Luna Node has any relationship to him. He seems to be some kid who likes to make spammy idiotic posts, but LET's full of people like that.

gupici said: I dont work at Lunanode. lol. stop assuming stuff. And where does it say that I hack ppl's stuff?

Clear up my mistaken assumption then? its not like you said anything in fact so what else do you expect?

• gupicigupici Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Clear up my mistaken assumption then? its not like you said anything in fact so what else do you expect?

I don't work at Lunanode.
    Did that clear up your mistaken assumption?

edited July 2015

AnthonySmith said: Clear up my mistaken assumption then? its not like you said anything in fact so what else do you expect?

Perhaps you can clarify why you think @gupici reflects anything related to Luna Node? I'm still confused why you brought the company up at all. Do you think that, just because an employee of Luna Node happens to live with the OP, the company should be responsible for vigilante action such as logging onto @gupici's computer and reporting anything suspicious to CSIS? Or maybe @hbjlee17 should find somewhere else to live (oh, and somewhere else to work too)?

I'm not sure what's going on in your head, but if @gupici told me or @hbjlee17 that he was going to post something stupid like this, both of us would have told him not to. Obviously, he didn't (nor would he have any reason to, since he lives in a free country; besides, like I said, I don't even know him, so why the hell would he tell me anything?). I wasn't even aware that @gupici was @hbjlee17's co-worker/neighbor when I first commented in this topic.

(edited this post several hours later for clarity)

Edit:

Perhaps ask his housemate who starts posts about none ethical stuff to do when he hacks peoples servers...... not to? and get a separate network.

It seems like you're still not understanding, so I'll try one last time -- @hbjlee17 isn't @gupici's father or brother and does not have control over @gupici's actions. It's silly to involve @hbjlee17 and Luna Node, claiming that both should be doing something about this individual; in fact, you're a moderator here, shouldn't you be cleaning up shit like this?

Anyway, I'm done with this topic, it's sad to see someone who is both a LET moderator and a hosting provider operator resort to mincing other's words and exaggerating links between people/entities.

Edit2:

I would recommend reporting this to lunanode

Sorry, but Luna Node isn't a law enforcement agency. Perhaps that's the source of this confusion and AnthonySmith's expectation that Luna Node should be doing something about @gupici? The Canadian intelligence agency is called Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS).

(And yes, I'm editing instead of replying because I don't want to bump a stupid thread which should have been closed or deleted long ago.)

• gupici said: Lets keep the ethic bullshit out of this thread.

Grow up.. This isn't hackforums, take your "Bullshit" elsewhere.

Thanked by 3perennate netomx rguru6

gupici said: Did that clear up your mistaken assumption?

no.

perennate said: Perhaps you can clarify what you think @hbjlee17 or I should do?

Perhaps ask his housemate who starts posts about none ethical stuff to do when he hacks peoples servers...... not to? and get a separate network.

That would be my first thought.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited July 2015

@gupici said:
    Lets keep the ethic bullshit out of this thread.
    What would you do?

May I ask what was you doing hacking into people's servers to start with that will now possibly involve the fed's as you publicly just self incriminated yourself?(no 5th amendment now lol) including the nsa who are reading this and have the fed's on speed dial right now to take you down?
    as you do know however you call it(making their security better, etc) it is still illegal and a federal offense! and is likely to land you into jail for life possibly?
    @AnthonySmith I would recommend reporting this to lunanode and furthermore the ban hammer for his two accounts as well including if lunanode doesn't report this to the fbi you report this and have him get his just deserts.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Can we please stop crying

It's people like you who make no one report when they found a security hole

timnboys said: @AnthonySmith I would recommend reporting this to lunanode and furthermore the ban hammer for his two accounts as well including if lunanode doesn't report this to the fbi you report this and have him get his just deserts.

Well for all I know the Lunanode rep had nothing to do with it and this is just a childish "What if" thread and is just as pissed off himself, he never actually said he did it (probably by choice but who knows)

• I personally think that this thread is what Anthony just said above, a "what if" thread. I for one have replied as such, and in compliance with OP's request of not involving any ethics. Just because I wouldn't do this personally doesn't mean I can't think about how I'd go about it if I did do it. I could be wrong, but I'd assume everyone here has replied in the same fashion as myself.

• bitseekerbitseeker Member
    edited July 2015

Since OP is just a hypothetical question, here are some hypothetical answers.

• White hat: Realize your error. Leave. Never return. Hope nobody notices.

• Gray hat: Close the hole you came through. (Optional: Leave a note in an obvious location.) Never return.

• Black hat: Party on! Sky's the limit. There will probably be a news story posted about your exploits on LET.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

bitseeker said: Black hat: Party on! Sky's the limit. There will probably be a news story posted about your exploits on LET.

Or on fbi.gov.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @joepie91 said:
    Or on fbi.gov.

That too.

• @bitseeker said:
    Since OP is just a hypothetical question, here are some hypothetical answers.

• White hat: Realize your error. Leave. Never return. Hope nobody notices.

• Gray hat: Close the hole you came through. (Optional: Leave a note in an obvious location.) Never return.

• Black hat: Party on! Sky's the limit. There will probably be a news story posted about your exploits on LET.

Surely white hat also includes letting the server owner know?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

OP: You can't dismiss the ethical "bullshit" right away, as proven in this thread most people here are decent folks with ethical principles that, if put in the situation, would do the right thing and notify the server owner of their security issues. I would do the exact same thing.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

@raindog308 said: You're classy

Undoubtedly, my friend :)

Side note: I'd come here on LET and ask what to do with the server. Who knows?

• Tor exit nodes?

• I would log in and delete all off topic posts and get back at hand then of course disable root login and pw based login. Because... Hey they have sudo user and leyfile setup right?

RIGHT