Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo in HK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo in HK

lifehomelifehome Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

Anyone know some "cheaper" price to colo with in HK? Things recently has become a mess, and my servers need a new home.

For now, I need a 1U space.

Also wanna know if ~$100 is something decent to colo with?

--Ivan

Note: All in USD.

Comments

• IP/bandwidth is the expensive bit for HK...

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • kanakana Member

What about host it in your own house as local bandwidth are blooming cheap just keep it up 24/7.

• lifehome said: Also wanna know if ~$100 is something decent to colo with?

hahaha, no. If someone offers you 100$ colo in HK it's someones basement with a shitty pole fiber uplink (which get cut rather often).

Expect to pay at least 150$ with some BW and a bunch of IPs in a quality datacenter (Equinix, iAdvantage etc.)

• William said: iAdvantage

Guy who runs this is nice - https://www.hkcolocation.net/cart.php?pid=10

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I have a very vague memory of this guy not being clean at all, but I could be remembering the wrong HK provider... I am not 100 % sure, but bet I'm right since he was selling unmetered gigabit for $100 some years ago.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • huh? What has he to do with iAdvantage? hkcolocation is the guy that hacked the stock exchange and was in jail, iAdvantage is owned by a Chinese group of investors.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You can get colo in HK for under $100 for 1U if the server doesnt need much bandwidth, 1IP and is low power. Our standard colo price is HK$700 which is just under US$100 but you are limited with regards to power/bw/IPs.

@Iifehome , what do you need ?

William said: If someone offers you 100$ colo in HK it's someones basement with a shitty pole fiber uplink

No one has a basement in Hong Kong. Even HK doesnt have that expensive colo SPACE. It's always the bandwidth that really makes things expensive.

• randvegeta said: No one has a basement in Hong Kong

eh, what? I obviously did not mean actual basement and you should know that, i meant either normal flat space (like "hkcolocation" has) or barely converted office space (like i4HK and similar).

William said: eh, what? I obviously did not mean actual basement and you should know that, i meant either normal flat space (like "hkcolocation" has) or barely converted office space (like i4HK and similar).

Just being facetious :-).

Have you been to hkcolocation and i4HK's 'facilities'?

There are indeed a number of cheapo providers in HK outside the traditional 'DC' environment but it's not beyond the means of normal DC rack renters to lease space at $100 /server.

A rack in HK may cost about $1,000 with small amount of power and bandwidth, probably enough for 20 machines as standard. You can upgrade power, bandwidth and IPs to accommodate more. Even at $2k for a rack with enough power and limited bandwidth per machine, $100 for a 1U colo can be profitable.

Plenty of HK providers also lease servers at around US$150 /month. Colo really SHOULD be cheaper than rental.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2015

randvegeta said: Have you been to hkcolocation and i4HK's 'facilities'?

Yes, i also was in the Chinese University (HKIX core), Equinix (HK1), iAdvantage Mega (before restructuration of power), iAdvantage Jumbo, NTT (now HKNET), Shenzhen Data Tech (which is not HK but near anyway), Topway (again Shenzhen), SmartOne (Macao), SmartOne (HK, Cage in iAdvantage Jumbo), CT(d)M (Macao), i4HK, Hutchinson/Three, Wharf, Pacswitch (aka HKcolocation) among others.

Most of these, with the exception of Pacswitch/HKcolocation, are pretty good DCs - Especially the ones in Shenzhen are surprisingly modern (AC/Power wise, but BW sucks in Mainland obviously).

Thanked by 1AlexanderM

@William,

Seems you have a lot of HK experience. Though I am surprised you gave i4HK a visit. Which i4HK site did you see? Kwai Chung location? What did you think of it?

SZ DC are indeed quite a surprise, but their charges are absurd.

What were you doing in HK looking at all the DCs, if you don't mind my asking.

• @William I doubt Equinix lease 1U space... Also it will not be cheaper than others. I have been quoting all around, from HKIX where I have connection with staffs there, to HKBN where they offer me a weirdo company which I can't figure out who is owning it (named in "HostFriendly"). iAdvantage is quite a #LOL and #OMFG before, where their offer was something like 512kbps uplink, not kidding but that's kinda awful for me. Also Pangnet would be good, but no luck in having way to contact them. Hutchinson/Three Wharf/NTT/PacHosting are known as a bunch of "Chinese" playground, the Backdoor injection incident was happened with PacHosting's sister company(subsidiary? Not sure) Ximbo, but both smells fishy.

Hkcolocation could be a good choice after your summary, but their website and history seems darken as SunnyVision... Just being said, @Nyr you are right.

Most of them are requiring indeed $150 or up, but that's really kinda out of my budget. Tho we already know, this is Hong Kong. That's why I am desperately seeking for something cheaper.

@randvegeta I need some place for my Dell R610. Kinda old-school, but will work for some civic projects ;)

• How much bandwidth do you need? Everyone's been talking bandwidth here and how expensive it would be - it might help if you let us know.

• lifehomelifehome Member
    edited July 2015

@concerto49 said:
    How much bandwidth do you need? Everyone's been talking bandwidth here and how expensive it would be - it might help if you let us know.

HKBN/HostFriendly provides shared 1000Mbps for local and 20Mbps for overseas connection, with 1v4 1U 3A power for around $110. These specs are fine and enough for my use.

But seeking for cheaper.... Possible?

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

lifehome said: Also Pangnet would be good, but no luck in having way to contact them

1U colocation with 5Mbps direct China bandwidth costs around $300 /Month.

That sounds like broadband connection to me. And your Dell will be a monster power consumer. $100 /m will be hard unless yoy are okay with no UPS and use just cheap broadband. In which case, why not just do it at home?

• @Jylee Not really in need/favor of "direct China" cuz I just facing the local HK audience.

@randvegeta:
    a) Residential ISP prohibit servers hosted at home for public services, including but not limit to IRC, Web, FTP/OwnCloud-like, CalDAV, rsync, etc.
    b) It's noisy that my roommates and family is complaining.

• lifehome said: Residential ISP prohibit servers hosted at home for public services, including but not limit to IRC, Web, FTP/OwnCloud-like, CalDAV, rsync, etc.

Is it for profit stuff?

• William said: huh? What has he to do with iAdvantage? hkcolocation is the guy that hacked the stock exchange and was in jail, iAdvantage is owned by a Chinese group of investors.

Apparently that's who they use for colocation on the order form!

Oh lol https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/12/ddos-marketing-stunt/

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

lifehome said: @Jylee Not really in need/favor of "direct China" cuz I just facing the local HK audience.

They seem to offer "direct China" only...

• DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited July 2015

Leaseweb has DC in HK but i dont know they offer colo or not.. But as i know they has HK Dedicated Server for sale

• @linuxthefish said:
    Is it for profit stuff?

Private sites(blogs/devbox), some civic project mirror for Code4HK, one game community site(self-financed, not for profit), ZNC, etc.

@DianTama Hmm, I can't see info from their web, maybe shoot a mail later then.

• @lifehome said:
    DianTama Hmm, I can't see info from their web, maybe shoot a mail later then.

Leaseweb. HK DC is quietly new maybe u can contact em to get more info..
    https://www.leaseweb.com/colocation

• randvegeta said: Seems you have a lot of HK experience. Though I am surprised you gave i4HK a visit. Which i4HK site did you see? Kwai Chung location? What did you think of it?

Yea, Kwai Chung (Do they have anything else besides the core network in iAdvantage? I IIRC asked for iAdvantage colo once but there was nothing available at the time)

randvegeta said: SZ DC are indeed quite a surprise, but their charges are absurd.

The offers i got were actually pretty good power wise, Space was pretty much the same as HK but the BW was useless (obviously only the mainland carriers, no HK backhaul, no HK carriers besides it being a SEZ and having direct fiber to HK/MO)

randvegeta said: What were you doing in HK looking at all the DCs, if you don't mind my asking.

All of my former employers wanted a HK location at one point (and i offered HK VPS before myself), so i managed that for them :)

lifehome said: HKBN/HostFriendly provides shared 1000Mbps for local and 20Mbps for overseas connection, with 1v4 1U 3A power for around $110. These specs are fine and enough for my use.

HKBN was at least some years ago questionable, their clients were "mailing" and alike - You can also expect the 20Mbit to be highly shared, though the local BW should be solid (as with anyone with HKIX and some private peering). Make sure you also check that your target ISPs are really "local" for them, some only peer with large DCs or don't at all (like HKNet, being owned by NTT and all).

• William said: HKBN was at least some years ago questionable

They're the largest fixed broadband provider currently in HK and are one of the most respected companies on that side of things. They revolutionized and freed the market from a PCCW monopoly back in the days with fiber to the home.

• i don't doubt that, but their hosting clients were clearly questionable - Which is also proven by 50% of their server IP space being blacklisted...

• I'm looking into other providers and Voxility turns up in the end of the Google search page. Any idea if I should use their service? They're like REALLY over my budget tho.

• Voxility has nothing in HK (at least did not some time ago) - Yes, it is on the website, and you can in theory buy it, but there is no networks routed and you can't get BW from them. Essentially they will resell you a rack in Equinix with a Crossconnect to someone else.

The Hong Kong location is not ready yet, but we can offer you collocation in any other location (Frankfurt, London, Bucharest, Los Angeles, Washington, Miami).

• lifehomelifehome Member
    edited July 2015

**SNIP** My bad not reading. :sleepy:

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your interest in our services.
    At this moment we do not offer services in HK. Would this be the only location you are interested in?
    Is LA also a possibility?

Oh jeez this is so horrible.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

100$/mo will fetch you 1U :D