Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS Sponsorship for NGO (1GB RAM, ~20GB SSD)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS Sponsorship for NGO (1GB RAM, ~20GB SSD)

tkpstkps Member
edited July 2015 in Requests

A registered NGO in India is looking for a VPS to host its website and data. The NGO is working mainly in the field of education, rehabilitation of destitute, mental health reforms, human rights, animal rights and environment protection.

The requirement is 1GB RAM, ~20GB SSD and server location nearest to India. If any reliable webhost is interested to sponsor a VPS then please send me a PM for all necessary details.

We'll really appreciate the help and will be able to put a "Powered by Host" in the footer on the website. Though there won't be any substantial benefit to the sponsor. It is just a give away for charity kind of thing but I am sure there are great people on this forum.

Thanks and regards :)

Comments

• I have a few questions that others may ask too:

... Why do you need so much RAM for a web-server?

... Why do you need so much space (what will you be storing)?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

doghouch said: I have a few questions that others may ask too:

... Why do you need so much RAM for a web-server?
    ... Why do you need so much space (what will you be storing)?

And... why a VPS? Why not just a shared hosting account?

Thanked by 1Quinten
  • tkpstkps Member

@Traffic

Sir, here is the answer:
    1) 50 GB Space to host all data including images, documents, e-mails etc. - Paper free.
    2) RAM - The NGO will be connecting to about 1+ Lac people - mostly students so to handle these requests I think 2 GB RAM will be fine.
    3) Why not shared - The website will be based on Wordpress and on shared it lags plus VPS is faster mostly.

• As far as I know. Most of the NGO's gets thousands of $ per month from various donations and other things.

• bersybersy Member

And why exactly SSD? Don't say that it is faster mostly, please, since we know it.

Thanked by 1leb_anonymous
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

tkps said: working mainly in the field of education, rehabilitation of destitute, mental health reforms, human rights, animal rights and environment protection.

Didn't notice this earlier. Which NGO is this one? It must be the Champion of the NGOs - it makes sure everything's covered.

On a serious note, I'd be willing to help you find a sponsor if you ALSO add to your NGO's fields of works "women rights". You guys have serious problems with this.

And of course you must answer my previous question and prove it.

Thanked by 2kkrajk netomx
  • tkpstkps Member

@sdglhm - Don't want to say this but in India the situation is different, here sincere NGOs only get threats from corrupt politicians & officers and they are least supported by anybody. Only those who are able to advertise themselves by spending huge amount of money reach people and get support from them.

@bersy - Mostly webservers are at USA or away from India, SSD helps in speed ... normal disk increases server response time and because of network in India the pageload time goes to 7sec. - 20sec. sometimes.

• tkpstkps Member

@Traffic - We are a group of Students & Retired Govt. Employees... and we entertain those issues which require urgent attention. So to say it simply we engage in Social Service in variegated forms. We don't work like a company where everything is well planned and perfect... being students mostly we just try to do our bit and spread our message to like minded people.

• tkps said: @Traffic - We are a group of Students & Retired Govt. Employees... and we entertain those issues which require urgent attention. So to say it simply we engage in Social Service in variegated forms. We don't work like a company where everything is well planned and perfect... being students mostly we just try to do our bit and spread our message to like minded people.

But you said you're a registered NGO, right? Can you prove it? I'm sure many more people would offer sponsorship if they knew for sure they aren't just giving away a VPS to a random stranger.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • tkpstkps Member

@Traffic said:
    And of course you must answer my previous question and prove it.

Yes that is true, we have problems relating to women... sexual harassment, restrictions etc. but things have changed now and people are becoming aware... women are aware and educated now and they know their rights. But we cannot deny that this is a grave problem... we are facing.

• tkpstkps Member

@Traffic said:
    But you said you're a registered NGO, right? Can you prove it? I'm sure many more people would offer sponsorship if they knew for sure they aren't just giving away a VPS to a random stranger.

Yes, I will send registration documents to the sponsor. That is why I have specially mentioned that interested host can please PM me.. Its not proper to post everything here. :)

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • kkrajkkkrajk Member

Dozens of members already, registered NGO (so you should have a place to call office to get registered)...

And you couldn't get these members to spend a 10 rupee ($0.15)/person/month to get your webserver... who are you kidding... Can't they even sacrifice a cup of tea (costs approx Rs. 9 in a local tea shop) a month to help your organisation out.

Nothing wrong in asking for sponsorships but when you say that you work for social causes wouldn't it be better to say out what your org name is, where you exactly are from, who runs it and how, what work you have done in the past...

You give me reason to believe that you are one of those people who email / call me everyday asking for donations that go directly to someone's pocket than where they said that it would go towards

Thanked by 2vpsGOD NanoG6
  • tkpstkps Member

@ez2uk
    We have an office and our members do contribute. For your information, we prefer to use that little amount which we collect for some productive work like sponsoring education for a child, sponsoring rehabilitation of someone etc. And not every member takes the same interest in social work as one or two may take, people will come and say big things and then they never turn back when actually needed. So it's lot easier to say all these things. And we are not asking for any sort of donation if you can see it instead of commenting simply. The webhost who will sponsor us will be provided with all details: including our registration cert., objectives, work, website etc. Plus because he'll be hosting us he can check anytime what we are hosting.

And you remind me of those who say they get several calls daily asking for donations but they help none rather they go on shouting about the calls. Have you seen a beggar? We don't give him money these days because we say he'll consume alcohol and he should work. But some people still donate because they think about his children also who will be hungry... I was looking for such people only.

We already have a sponsor and 2 more who are willing to sponsor but they are looking for returns, 1 of them told us we'll see what return we get from you and if we get then we'll continue after a month. But I am looking for somebody who is really willing to help for the desire of helping not somebody who would make us realize each day that I am sponsoring you... Good deeds are those which are done with absolute selfless motive, if there is even a bit of selfishness then it is not a good deed. Anyway, you can consider this as another email which you get daily... I don't mind.

Regards.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited July 2015

my argument still stands whatever your so called justification may be..

And people who quibble about scammers are a thousand times better than the scammers themselves..

Let I be a quibbler than a scammer...

EDIT - PS - And whatever you are going to reply I am sure that my first 2 posts (including this) will serve a fitting reply.

This is my last post in this regard.

Have a good campaign.

• Start up an NGO for a free VPS? Excellent idea!

Jokes aside, I'm sure many hosts will be willing to help you out of you send them a message, without the silly SSD requirement.

• @tkps I can't believe a real NGO can't afford to pay Rs 500 a month to afford a VPS. What's the name of your organization? And in which city have you registered it in?

• tkpstkps Member

@Droidzone
    The NGO can afford a VPS but there is nothing wrong in getting a VPS sponsored and spend the saved money for some more productive work.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2015

tkps said: @Droidzone The NGO can afford a VPS but there is nothing wrong in getting a VPS sponsored and spend the saved money for some more productive work.

Yes there is. Having a footer of a sponsor makes it seem unprofessional, and casts doubts about its viability.

Once again, I ask. What is the registered name of this NGO?

• Was a bit curious because I was going to ask my company for a free VPS.

Now NO

First he asked for a Free VPS (Christian school) -http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4396/need-a-vps-sponsorship-for-a-christian-school#latest

Then I can see you're selling a VPS for $ 150 - http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5121/want-to-sell-my-vps-canadian#latest

Cannot confirm that it was the same VPS you got for free. But I got a feeling.

• Wow... more monkeyshines from developing countries.

Thanked by 1bobby
  • tkpstkps Member

@JoeMerit Unless you have complete knowledge about something you should not lament.
    @sdglhm - PM.
    @Droidzone - I have sent you details by PM.

• Hm. I've forwarded your request to the company that I'm working for. Lets see their response

• I'll consider donating a VPS to your cause on two conditions.

1. I need to be satisfied with the cause and NGO's existence.
    2. I would request a sponsorship link back from your homepage.
  • I offered this Individual a 2GB VPS and he has access to it. But is still requesting a VPS from different providers?

• @jmckeag12 said:
    I offered this Individual a 2GB VPS and he has access to it. But is still requesting a VPS from different providers?

The more I read in detail, the more I think of this as a scam.

OP, offer withdrawn.

• tkpstkps Member

2jmckeag12 has provided a VPS, I am testing page load and server response time in India. Everything seems fine till now.
    @realbusiness I am only trying to get a VPS near India/Asia... but the one 2jmckeag12 has sponsored seems responsive here.. I am uploading the website on it to check everything.

• premium Clamhost, congrats!

Thanked by 1tkps
  • etiansetians Member

If you accept the VPS Asia sponsorship, please contact me

• SadySady Member

@tkps said:
    realbusiness I am only trying to get a VPS near India/Asia... but the one 2jmckeag12 has sponsored seems responsive here.. I am uploading the website on it to check everything.

Time to close the thread?

Thanked by 1netomx