Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is this dedicated server to start a small shared host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How good is this dedicated server to start a small shared host?

DostDost Member
edited July 2015 in Help

I saw this dedi offer on http://servdiscount.com

Intel XEON E3-1270v3 3.5 GHz ,
32 GB RAM,
2 x 2.000 GB SATA HDD,
Raid: Software,
DDos Protection

$59.20/month

Do you think this server is good enough to start a small shared host? To avoid cpu load issues i want to setup cloudlinux but i think servdiscount.com don't offer it as an installation template so is there any other way to do it?

What else you will recommend for a small level shared web host?

I think if i add a WHM/Cpanel license, WHMCS license, LiteSpeed Server license, Cloud Linux. Fantastico etc it's going to cost me around $160-$170/month

I am not going to do it at very advance/professional level just some local city clients friends etc they are already hosting their sites on my different vps's so i want to move all of them to one dedi server and maybe hope for a couple of more local clients.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thanked by 1Dillybob

Comments

• BruceBruce Member

E3 for $60/m is nice. but what about IPs ?

who is managing the hosting sites ? do you need to cost of cpanel ? an alternative is to run several VPS, and manage the sites in each one. if you have several IPs that is.

cpanel is expensive is you're looking at cheap servers. save the money and use commandline management instead.

• WHTWHT Member

1 Core @ 3.5 ghz? That will be enugh for 10 wordpress sites and you rich the limit. If you want to host 100+ Clients? Go for 6 or 8 cores.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would recommend SSD

• DostDost Member

@Bruce said:
    E3 for $60/m is nice. but what about IPs ?

who is managing the hosting sites ? do you need to cost of cpanel ? an alternative is to run several VPS, and manage the sites in each one. if you have several IPs that is.

cpanel is expensive is you're looking at cheap servers. save the money and use commandline management instead.

Clients will manage their sites thats why i am giving them cpanel but if there is some technical issue than i will offer my help (or arrange it for them).

About IP i just saw this written on their site

You can buy additional IPs for cheap prices on servdiscount.com. An IPv4 and IPv6 subent is also included in the price of each dedicate root server. IPv4 only €1.00 per month.

Do you think i will need more IPs or 2/3 will be enough me (host, nameserver etc) as a shared host? I am not offering any dedicated IP feature.

• Dost said: Raid: Software

Software RAID?

What are the disk and SATA interface specs?

You don't ideally want software RAID.

• DostDost Member

@WHT said:
    1 Core @ 3.5 ghz? That will be enugh for 10 wordpress sites and you rich the limit. If you want to host 100+ Clients? Go for 6 or 8 cores.

It's a dedicated server the processor is Intel E3-1270v3 3.5 GHz with 4 cores and 8 threads. Benchmark i found is 9850

• DostDost Member

@MarkTurner said:

They are offering 2 x 120GB SSD plan as well instead of 2 x 2.000 GB SATA HDD and others specs remain same but price drop around $5 to $54.50/month. Would you recommend that one? and i add a SATA as 3rd drive if they allow it?

I am not very technical what is the difference between Soft and Hard Raid?

• Put the dedicated server into one huge VPS so you can get a discount on cPanel. People have been doing this for years.

• DostDost Member

Here are the screenshot of different plans with same Intel XEON E3-1270v3 processor but remote management is really important for me.

• DostDost Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    Put the dedicated server into one huge VPS so you can get a discount on cPanel. People have been doing this for years.

Isn't there any difference of features between 2 different licenses?

• Nope. All the same, but the title is different. cPanel VPS Optimized / cPanel Accelerated

• DostDost Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    Nope. All the same, but the title is different. cPanel VPS Optimized / cPanel Accelerated

That can be removed i think thanks for suggesting

• Yes a 50% at least on a cPanel license for a VPS :)

• DostDost Member

Any suggestion how to get cloudlinux installed on this server because it's not in their default installation templates. Do you guys recommend cloudlinux i really want to limit the cpu and ram abuse and provide them limited but dedicated resources.

• CloudLinux is good - here's how you can set it up:

Install CentOS on the dedicated server, install OpenVZ, download the CloudLinux template tar.gz to /vz/template/cache, wait, create an OpenVZ container with most of your dedicated server's resources, then install cPanel.

• cPanel hosting sites RAM & cpu abuse?

• You're still going to want hardware RAID.

• DostDost Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    CloudLinux is good - here's how you can set it up:

Install CentOS on the dedicated server, install OpenVZ, download the CloudLinux template tar.gz to /vz/template/cache, wait, create an OpenVZ container with most of your dedicated server's resources, then install cPanel.

Thanks again! @FlamesRunner i will follow your method.

• edited July 2015

We can offer you something like this with similar pricing if you are still looking for alternatives. We can also offer you experienced managed support free of charge for your shared web hosting server, if you choose cPanel.

Contact us at http://w3hostingservices.com/submitticket.php if you have any questions.

• DostDost Member

@century1stop said:
    cPanel hosting sites RAM & cpu abuse?

yes some of my client use joomla wordpress etc they eat lot of resources specially cpu

• DostDost Member

@MarkTurner said:
    You're still going to want hardware RAID.

hi can you please explain the difference and the impact?

• @FlamesRunner said:
    CloudLinux is good - here's how you can set it up:

I thought the OpenVZ version was missing a ton of stuff?

• @Dost Here are some considerations to make before going all-out and buying a dedicated server.

• The price that you would pay for a dedicated server for one single month would be enough for a reliable reseller account for an entire year. What's more is that you don't need to worry about managing any of it, or paying for license costs.

• If you're adamant about having root access, why not try going for a managed VPS? They are quite affordable and would cost about 25% of the $160/mo that you'd pay for an entire dedicated server, when you count the licensing. VPS licenses are also a lot cheaper (cPanel is $13/mo vs $36/mo; Softaculous is $1/mo vs $2.50/mo)

• If you're going to be putting customers on this server, do you have any plans for support or management? Some companies (us included) will provide end user support for reseller accounts. For VPS, they'll also be managed so you don't need to worry about if things break.

• What is the plan for taking backups of the dedicated server? RAID is great, but it is not a replacement for taking backups. Quality managed VPS and reseller accounts will include backups as well as a clearly defined backup policy

Just some food for thought :)

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • wychwych Member

@linuxthefish said:
    I thought the OpenVZ version was missing a ton of stuff?

It is.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Those specifications and your setup should be fine for a small webhost. We used to have our shared clients on a 32GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 server with 2x2TB hdds in sw RAID1. Clients sites loaded snappily and we never experienced any issues.

You could consider ditching LiteSpeed as the license is on the pricier side and using Nginx or the Unixy Varnish + Nginx plugin (which, from memory is $6/mo).

As mentioned above, depending on the number of clients you are going to be hosting AND how resource heavy those sites are, you could consider a managed cPanel VPS.

• sambling said: You could consider ditching LiteSpeed as the license is on the pricier side and using Nginx or the Unixy Varnish + Nginx plugin (which, from memory is $6/mo).

No love for Apache 2.4?

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • Fine - KVM it is.

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited July 2015

@FlamesRunner said:
    Fine - KVM it is.

Xen :(?

• linuxthefish said: No love for Apache 2.4?

Apache 2.4 certainly has it's advantages. For a small shared server, either or really... =)