Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: non-RAID storage VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: non-RAID storage VPS

Comments

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

@kenshin thanks for the useful insight...yes it would be 70%+ upload to VPS

EDIT: just to add that all storage deals done so far are capped bandwidth rather than 10Mbit unmetered

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@craigb

Hi mate,

Can offer you 200gb hd, 2tb bandwidth on 200mbit, 256mb guaranteed RAM (+256 burst) - $6.99/month in either France or Germany. (bandwidth allocations can be different).

regards

• PatsPats Member
    edited November 2012

@craigb said: Just picked up 300GB in Buffalo, New York - thanks @concerto49!

Good pick!! he first floated the thread of low-end-storage recently.. looks like already started to roll.. :)
    at what price?

• @pats thanks...please contact @concerto49 direct for pricing options

• @rsk already your customer (the pesky one asking when you will have SSL on your WHCMS and SolusVM ;)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@craigb

whoops, although we do have the personal touch, it is very hard to remember the names and then "link" them to LET's usernames :P

So how is the storage VPS going? :D

Regards,
    R. Alkhaili

• @rsk no worries :). Good experience so far, fast :)

• @Gary said: Amazon Glacier? 1c/GB if it's any use for your purposes.

Amazon Glacier is very good for backup if Retrival is not needed.. :P
    otherwise there is retrieving fee + Data Transfer Out charges..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Yes. A kimsufi will do for 2 cents a GB, 10 eur for 500 gb. It is a serious contender for amazon since the traffic is included and you can make/retrieve/mount backups at will +run your own backup software.
    M

• @maounique with your new role confirmed I was wondering if you might offer something compelling... :)

• Mmmm, Yes, we can probably do this.
    3c / gb is 3000c / 1TB (yes yes.. 24 cents)... 23EUR
    8TB per Server (4x2) = 184EUR

But does really anyone want non RAID storage?

• @william Yeah, some of us do (check the recent storage threads). I don't want to pay for resilience at the disk/controller level for a globally distributed storage system (Tahoe-LAFS). What locations can you do 300GB on a storage VPS for 3c (or less ;) per GB?

• Austria only.

• @william just across the border...pm offer?

edited November 2012

@craigb said: @maounique with your new role confirmed I was wondering if you might offer something compelling... :)

I am working on an offer like this:
    50 gb-64 ram-1 Eur
    100 gb-128 ram-2 Eur
    250 gb-256 ram-4 Eur
    All bw 3x storage or maybe 4x on 100 mbps, OVZ (I hope to manage XEN but low hope atm as whmcs does not support XCP) IPv6 only, IPv4 possible as an addon.
    Compared with Glacier has some cons:
    -no redundancy
    -higher price
    and some Pros:
    -full root access (ability to run own backup software, VPN, etc)
    -no charge for retrieval
    -24/7 availability
    -close to the main server as this is intended for current customers as we do not have big storage space on our regular plans since our gear is very expensive and IOPS are not oversold.
    Some VPN plans are also possible, irc and such without the storage, but with half the price, the return of 50 cents in another incarnation :)
    M

• 4 Euro for 250GB is a solid deal indeed, suddenly there's storage space everywhere!

@Nekki said: suddenly there's storage space everywhere!

Well, there was some demand lately, it just takes a while to plan, do the math and provide. For now it is only planning, we need to get the drives.
    M

• @Maounique said: Well, there was some demand lately, it just takes a while to plan, do the math and provide. For now it is only planning, we need to get the drives.

Well if you can come in close to those prices, you can count me as a customer.

• The deal posted in this discussion gives you 4c per GB, if you take the 1TB, then you get 3c per GB. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4743/500gb-storage-512mb-ram-for-20

Maybe you can ask them for a different deal, if you take less RAM.

• @maounique attractive deal. Ping me if/when you need beta testers (existing customer)...

• @maounique said: close to the main server as this is intended for current customers as we do not have big storage

ISCSI is a good fit for this use. It is a efficient protocol and the disk could be mounted as local storage both on Linux and Windows. If you plan to offer OVZ, a Debian template with the ISCSI target kernel module preloaded will be really useful. On this local use scenario, a private IPv4 address (as example, 10.x.x.x) could be used to reach the storage VPS without the hassle to configure the IPv6 stack both on the main VPS and the storage VPS.

I like iSCSI too, however it is difficult to assume most ppl know how to correctly configure LUNs, targets, initiators and the like.
    A SMB/CIFS would be most likely, even given the single-threaded nature of it since NFS can lock the HN in an OVZ environment.
    Once will be in place I will probably put some tutorials for SSHFS/FISH/CIFS maybe even others, but I doubt iSCSI will be popular. Time will tell.
    M

• iSCSI howto needed then I think :)

Tutorials go a long way along side of services and in the welcome package when someone subscribes.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited November 2012

@Maonique said: I like iSCSI too, however it is difficult to assume most ppl know how to correctly configure LUNs, targets, initiators and the like.

It was hard to configure, before the mainstream support in Ubuntu and Windows. To create a iscsi target on KVM for testing purposes, I use the following procedure on a blank Ubuntu 12.04:

1) update the distribution:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade 

2) create the empty file that will host the iscsi volume (leave about 2 Gb empty space on disk for logs etc) (20000 is the dimension of the iscsi volume in Mb):

sudo mkdir /iscsistorage
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/iscsistorage/lun1.img bs=1024k count=20000 

3) install the kernel module and the service:

sudo aptitude install linux-headers-3.2.0-23-virtual
    sudo aptitude install iscsitarget iscsitarget-source iscsitarget-dkms

4) configure the service with default minimal security (3 files to edit) (on production system,you must configure security properly):

sudo apt-get install nano

sudo nano /etc/default/iscsitarget
    ->edit: set ISCSITARGET_ENABLE to true 

sudo nano /etc/iet/ietd.conf 
    ->edit: 
    [...]
    Target iqn.2001-04.com.srv-iscsi1:storage.lun1
            IncomingUser 
            OutgoingUser
            Lun 0 Path=/iscsistorage/lun1.img,Type=fileio
            Alias LUN1
            #MaxConnections  6 

sudo nano /etc/iet/initiators.allow
    ->edit:
    [...]
    iqn.2001-04.com.srv-iscsi1:storage.lun1 ALL 
    ALL ALL 

5) start the service and ensure that is configured to start-up at boot

sudo /etc/init.d/iscsitarget start 
    sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf
    sudo sysv-rc-conf 

The iscsi initiator on the VPS that will connect to the target is easy to configure. In Windows 7-8-2008 and 2012 is a trivial two-click thing.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

No joy with EDIS, despite the previous comment earlier in the thread, @william stated a storage vps is not a current offering nor might ever be. Shame as data transfer between Budapest and Graz would have likely been stonkin'.

No offers for Aspac either. Will have to go hunting...if anyone comes across anything, please let me know.

Since starting this thread, I've picked up about 1TB of storage in 4 locations across 3 countries within the 3-4c range - the bulk is RAID10 (as that's what providers are mostly setup for today)

edited November 2012

@pcan
    Sure, but this will probably not work on OVZ, tho I didnt test it, unfortunatelly, will have to be OVZ because there is no free module to support XCP. Maybe with a specially crafted kernel.
    M

• @craigb you are in Budapest? What kind of specs and features are you looking for the storage VPS, i might think of something just for you.

• @rds100 I sure am :). Specs for storage vps (slightly modified since opening this thread in light of feedback): 300GB no-RAID disk, 3x bandwidth, 128MB RAM and whatever virtualization tech is convenient. Price: 9USD per month. If you accept HUF, great...if not USD preferred due to exchange rates (Euro is expensive).

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

@craigb HUF - don't know what to do with these :) But USD and EUR are accepted.
    I will see if i can offer what you are looking for, will check tomorrow.

PING ns.nic.hu (193.239.148.48) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from ns.nic.hu (193.239.148.48): icmp_req=1 ttl=250 time=22.2 ms

Btw i guess you need FUSE support?

• @rds100 think I heard your packet going past ;p. Will keep an eye open for your offer!