Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: non-RAID storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted: non-RAID storage VPS

craigbcraigb Member
edited November 2012 in General

Lots of threads around low-end-storage...bunch of providers talking about potentially offering it...but anyone actually ready to take my money?

OVZ OK, 100-400GB non-RAID, non-SSD storage (aka Low End Storage), 128MB or 256MB RAM, unmetered 10MBit/s (example, flexible here).

I do need a single IPv4 in the short term (until Tahoe-LAFS is IPv6 enabled [planned...]) but I'm happy to share an IP as only need a handful of ports... Will need IPv6 in say 1 year...

Looking for diverse range of providers, geographies and networks (FYI, bulk of data coming from central and western EU).

Cost wise, would love to get to 3 cents per GB, but open to offers. If you're an established VPS provider with a decent rep, happy to pay for a year as long as you'll refund unused months if you decide to pull the service :)

I don't expect any frills, value add services or "free" backup for that money.

Comments

• Consider a ovh MKS2G for £8.99 seems to be in budget.

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2012

Already have a kimsufi 2G - I'm looking for around 10 separate and diverse storage dumps :)

• Amazon Glacier? 1c/GB if it's any use for your purposes.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What about RAID10 protected storage.. I have plenty of spare space :P

• http://torqhost.com/virtual_private_servers/storage

Doesn't exactly fit your requirements, i.e. there is raid, and the bandwidth isn't huge, but it's definitely diverse.

• http://serveraxis.com/vps-hicap.php is under your 3 cents per GB threshold, and is RAID-10 and XEN. Slow CPU though.

• @jhadley said: A bit more expensive

Wasn't aware of them so thanks. But about 3 times more expensive and I wouldn't be able to run a Tahoe-LAFS storage server (needs python)

• IPXcore has several VPS nodes with plenty of free disk space available, since the nodes are 'full' otherwise but were from our early days when we grossly overestimated how much disk space would be used.

3 cents per GB is an acceptable price for us, and it would be hardware RAID to boot. Let me know if you're interested.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: What about RAID10 protected storage.. I have plenty of spare space :P

Would love to but you gotta eat too :)

@Gary said: Amazon Glacier? 1c/GB if it's any use for your purposes.

Good call Gary and already about to use 'em for long term archiving...can't beat that pricing.

@ElliotJ said: http://torqhost.com/virtual_private_servers/storage

Doesn't exactly fit your requirements, i.e. there is raid, and the bandwidth isn't huge, but it's definitely diverse.

Interesting - wasn't aware they did storage - thanks!

@jon617 said: http://serveraxis.com/vps-hicap.php is under your 3 cents per GB threshold, and is RAID-10 and XEN. Slow CPU though.

...yeah and pricing starts at 24USD per month :(. I need less disk per node and less resilience :). Thanks though.

• @Damian said: 3 cents per GB is an acceptable price for us, and it would be hardware RAID to boot. Let me know if you're interested.

Definitely interested :)

@craigb said: Would love to but you gotta eat too :)

Go up to 5 cents per GB and HMU if you are interested :P

• Just picked up 300GB in Buffalo, New York - thanks @concerto49!

Exploring other options to...might be able to nail this tonight :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

My storage VPS offering is coming together, getting parts together now. Hopefully later this week.

• @fliphost what sort of offer? Any preliminary prices / specs?

• We have the following plans available upon request:

100 GB => $3.50 /Mo.
    250 GB => $7.00 /Mo.
    500 GB => $13.00 /Mo.
    1 TB => $25.00 /Mo.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

@eastonch Nothing solid yet, working on a few final details, however I guess the closest comparison would be buyvm pricing if I am able to do what i would like to.

Possibly cheaper, depends on the replies i get on monday to my emails.

Will be OpenVZ

• OK, picked up another 100GB with an existing VPS I rent - spare space on the node and provider in a good mood :)

Sure I am :D

• :-D

And picked up 250GB with BlueVM...

• I've got some spare space on a Xen node @ Hetzner (RAID1) if you're interested.
    3 cents per GB is fine, as long as the plan is at least $5/month :)

• @George_Fusioned great - I'll take 7USD worth. I'll PM you. Thanks!

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited November 2012

$5.00 for 65GB (a bit pricier) with unmetered 100mb/s (as long as you don't go crazy).

SJC here, CoreSite facility, IPv6 ready.

• @lele0108 thanks but that's over double what I want to spend per GB :/

• Anyone have Chicago storage at these rates?

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited November 2012

$7 for 100GB + 256MB + 1TB xfer in Dallas.

• @simplenode thanks but that's 7c a GB...

Storage servers in Europe and US covered. Could do 1 more in EU I guess (got France and Germany already)...but looking further afield... Can any providers offer this kind of deal in Aspac?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

@craigb there was something in Estonia i think, can't remember the provider's name.

And ASPAC is probably not an option, due to bandwidth costs.

• @rds100 cheers for th Estonia reminder. Yeah I suspect you're right re: impact of bandwidth pricing but I'm flexible on that point so could go lower if storage pricing is right

• @craigb
    $3 will not be anywhere near a 10M line in APAC, 0.5M more like it but then your backup would take forever. Storage is cheap, bandwidth is simply too much more expensive so that affects the price.

If you're going to be mainly uploading to the VPS (incoming on provider end), then maybe you can get a better deal in APAC since most providers in APAC send > receive. Selling of excess capacity :)