Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-Hosted Dropbox Replacements - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-Hosted Dropbox Replacements

13»

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited July 2015

@4n0nx said:
    I don't know how to use i with a key

use an ssh config file .... the easiest way if you have multiple locations as i am sure you do.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2015

@chinmoy said:

I'd rather exchange compute+/storage cycles for purchasing power, instead of my online behaviour.

Or just let the machines take over and let them allocate resources. This close to going on an Off-topic Capitalism rant.

Back on topic: I noticed no one brought up SyncThing. Is it pretty stable and sane these days? Looking for longterm-user feedback.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited July 2015

@chinmoy said:
    Amazon will extract and store the Exif data from the images even if you don't have dick pics in them

I get that, I don't get how it affects me negatively in any way.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

I use external hard disk.. safer then online storage ;)

ftp backup is also good choice.

• I'm one to get bent out of shape about privacy issues, but in this case I'm with @deadbeef. Dropbox spaces are not where you put your corporate secrets and dick pics. A dropbox is where you let clients put their crap so you can still use your e-mail. Like this morning, a guy sends me 6 pictures adding up to 50MB, and he wanted me to shrink them to e-mail size so he could send them in with an application. What a waste.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Will OwnCloud run OK on 128MB + 64 swap?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@hostnoob dangerous, upgrade can fail.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

hostnoob said: Will OwnCloud run OK on 128MB + 64 swap?

In my experience yes, no problem.

Thanked by 2hostnoob bersy
  • bersybersy Member

Nyr said: In my experience yes, no problem.

What does memory consumption depend on?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

bersy said: What does memory consumption depend on?

PHP configuration, architecture and how the application is written, mostly.

I must note I was using a SQLite database, @hostnoob. It surely helped :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Jar said: I guess that's one perspective. I'm totally alright with that. I've been really enjoying the smart advertisements on Amazon and Facebook lately.

Yeah so smart to advertise things I have already purchased. -_-

• wychwych Member

@4n0nx said:
    Yeah so smart to advertise things I have already purchased. -_-

+1, thats all these smart ads do for me, eBay needs to sort remarketing out, I even won the auction and it was still displaying it for me all over the web -.- waste of the marketing teams budget.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@wych said:
    +1, thats all these smart ads do for me, eBay needs to sort remarketing out, I even won the auction and it was still displaying it for me all over the web -.- waste of the marketing teams budget.

Weird. I get things that I've viewed but not purchased, and things that are similar in nature. Like the other day I was looking for a long pair of jumper cables for my car, and I logged in Facebook to find an Amazon ad for a small device that could fit in your pocket, charge your phone a bunch of times, and had an attachment to connect to your car battery to jump it. I had never seen anything like it, it was a total score for me.

• wychwych Member

@Jar said:
    Weird. I get things that I've viewed but not purchased, and things that are similar in nature. Like the other day I was looking for a long pair of jumper cables for my car, and I logged in Facebook to find an Amazon ad for a small device that could fit in your pocket, charge your phone a bunch of times, and had an attachment to connect to your car battery to jump it. I had never seen anything like it, it was a total score for me.

It must work for your browsing habits, mine always seems a couple of purchases too late.

Thanked by 1jar
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

wych said: It must work for your browsing habits, mine always seems a couple of purchases too late.

Yes and even across devices in the household. And once you click an Amazon link, Amazon will also act like you are totally interested in buying that. So I block ads on every possible device now, but still get annoying google results and Youtube recommendations. Sigh..

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited July 2015

Jar said: small device that could fit in your pocket, . . . and had an attachment to connect to your car battery to jump it. I had never seen anything like it

lol

• oijpghjighojioijpghjighoji Member
    edited July 2015

I've been using syncthing https://syncthing.net/ for a few months and no problems so far. I've even made a little program to hide the console window in tray area: https://forum.syncthing.net/t/syncthinghider-hide-syncthing-in-notification-area/3118