Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-Hosted Dropbox Replacements - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-Hosted Dropbox Replacements

Comments

• @Jar said:
    You may have just changed the game for me, nice find! That particular function, though it easily makes up the most of what I do, was looking to me like something I may have to sacrifice, code my own, or pay for monthly. Not that I mind paying, but I love creative alternatives.

No worries. I prefer hosting my own stuff and $9.99/mo seems a tad high when I can get a cheap yearly VPS or just block off some minimal resources on one of my existing boxes. I was previously using Monosnap - which is what my team members on Windows use - which does the same thing, but not as nice/fast as Dropshare.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Another DropShare user here, on both OS X and iOS.

It's a really nice tool, couldn't be happier after finally leaving CloudApp.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Dropshare + Pydio seems to be where I've landed. Thanks for all the advice guys!

• I'm currently using Pydio as a frontend and syncthing for syncing the backend. I was using owncloud but decided to try out Pydio. I'm not sure which one is my favorite.

• NomadNomad Member

Unfortunately my own experiences proved me that performance and application-wise neither of the OP's preferences are close to what Dropbox offers.

I tried Owncloud, skipping Seafile because how it stores my files on the server wasn't my cup of tea. I got a lot of errors even on a vanilla installation and even after resolving those th performance turned out to be worse than I anticipated.

Also all of them running on PHP doesn't make it better. I wish they were standalone apps.

Sometimes there's no real good alternate for the paid software...

• FritzFritz Veteran

+1 Pyd.io

I like it better than OwnCloud

• Don't use OwnCloud, it can't handle large files and worse, it could loose them.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@techhelper1 said:
    Don't use OwnCloud, it can't handle large files and worse, it could loose them.

How big are we talking? I have a lot of 2-3GB files in OwnCloud and have done for years with no issue.

• MuZoMuZo Member

Not sure about "uploaded only' but its close.

Yeah it's like that, didn't know Dropbox supports it.

Nyr said: Not the same, but I personally use BTSync now. Not perfect, but works fine for me.

Ignoring the fact that's a closed source software (which might be a good/bad point depends at who you ask), the fact that it "calls home" sending how many files are you syncing and other statistics, the fact that you can't run your own tracker (you can use direct connections but it becomes a bit annoying if you use many end-points), the real problem I encountered is that developers don't give a f*ck about compatibility / safe migrations. I was storing part of my data using BTSync v1, at sudden an automatic BTSync v2 update came and broke all the keys and syncing of existing shares. After that I started looking for another solution. Maybe it's my fault but I don't see why and automatic upgrade should break things like that without any notice.

Nomad said: Also all of them running on PHP doesn't make it better. I wish they were standalone apps.

Owncloud and pyd.io are written in PHP and can be run in a shared hosting environment. Seafile is divided in various components, the web part is in Python (Django) and I'm running it in fastcgi mode behind nginx.

A tool that maybe not many know about is: https://www.syncany.org

It's still in alpha version but I really like the features of it, it does automatic syncing of folders to remote storages with client-side encryption. As remote storage it supports Amazon S3, Dropbox, Flickr, FTP, Local, OpenStack Swift, Samba Plugin, SFTP, WebDAV and can be extended by writing custom plugins.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member

@MuZo said:

never used/heard syncany before, still i consider Java heavy that's why currently i'll stick with the bare rsync for now.

The only paid "closed" solution i might recommend is beyondcompare by "scootersoftware" this is the best code compare i came across and they have added sync "manual" jobs. i know i am getting out of topic and maybe this is my last comment on this topic but syncing will stick around for a long time until maybe a filesystem is doing this behind the scenes automatically.

• The biggest problem I ever had with seafile is it's possible to corrupt a repo so badly that the recovery tool can't even revert it to a stable state.

It happened when I had a machine with an unstable storage backend (NFS share that went awol in the middle of writing) which is totally my fault and it's not happened since sorting the underlying storage problem.

At least with owncloud/pydio it's just storing files natively in the FS (Well it used to anyway, not checked latest ver) so although if the machine crashes you're likely to corrupt the file you were working on it's not likely to blow out the whole library.

• MuZoMuZo Member

@dragon2611 said:
    The biggest problem I ever had with seafile is it's possible to corrupt a repo so badly that the recovery tool can't even revert it to a stable state.

It happened when I had a machine with an unstable storage backend (NFS share that went awol in the middle of writing) which is totally my fault and it's not happened since sorting the underlying storage problem.

At least with owncloud/pydio it's just storing files natively in the FS (Well it used to anyway, not checked latest ver) so although if the machine crashes you're likely to corrupt the file you were working on it's not likely to blow out the whole library.

I think that's because the data folder doesn't expect to work with a network mount which has a high risk of failing / stalling. I'm running the community version with the data folder on the (main) disk and with a daily incremental backup to an external storage.

With the professional edition (free up to 3 users), you can use AWS S3/Ceph RADOS as storage backends.

Yes, the fact that the files are in stored in blocks and not how they are might be considered a downside, but the good side of doing this is having data-deduplication. Also there is a tool which will allow you to mount the repo as FUSE mount: http://manual.seafile.com/extension/fuse.html

• Swings and roundabouts, compared to the older versions of owncloud it's much better at dealing with large files or conversely lots of small files being synced. Since I solved the storage problem I've not had any issues with seafile.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    How big are we talking? I have a lot of 2-3GB files in OwnCloud and have done for years with no issue.

I experienced this problem too with files even less than 1GB. If I remember correctly, this had to do with running on 32 bit systems.

@MuZo said:
    the real problem I encountered is that developers don't give a f*ck about compatibility / safe migrations. I was storing part of my data using BTSync v1, at sudden an automatic BTSync v2 update came and broke all the keys and syncing of existing shares. After that I started looking for another solution. Maybe it's my fault but I don't see why and automatic upgrade should break things like that without any notice.

Not my experience, I did multiple 1.x to 2.0 upgrades too.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ShadeShade Member

A Synology DS with OpenVPN connection ;)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Owncloud

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited July 2015

I just stumbled upon a promo mail from
    Varonis DatAnywhere

They are offering 5 users free for lifetime. Can anyone comment on this ?
    They claim to be Enterprise grade! Though its Windows based only. :(

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Datanywhere... Dat seems legit :D

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I made myself a .bat and a .sh file to back up stuff via rsync. Very convenient and works on any OS. Now I just need to make an android app that does the same whenever I am connected fo Wi-Fi. :D

• @4n0nx said:
    I made myself a .bat and a .sh file to back up stuff via rsync. Very convenient and works on any OS. Now I just need to make an android app that does the same whenever I am connected fo Wi-Fi. :D

Care to share ? ;)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

inthecloudblog said: Care to share ? ;)

I don't know how to make android apps lol :(

Or do you mean the rsync .sh and .bat? It's just the rsync command basically. On Windows I use "cygwin", which is a Linux command line for Windows that lets you use exactly the same script as you do on Linux (just adjust paths).

I use sshpass (sshpass -f /home/4n0nx/password rsync command here) to use it with a password.

The rsync command I think is

rsync -Pav /home/user/ [email protected]:/home/user/

I don't know how to use i with a key: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/127352/specify-identity-file-id-rsa-with-rsync

• I'm keeping a close eye on this project. https://bitbucket.org/tshannon/freehold

Freehold-sync client is coming soon I guess, but the webapp is nice, including a light-weight office program that can do OpenDoc formats

• ShadeShade Member

Simple, just add -e 'ssh -i .ssh/id_rsa' after your rsync options (Like yours -Pav) - Here its my RSA key or whatever key you have (DSA, ECDSA etc)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Owncloud works very well for me and 10+ employees for many, many months now. Just to add another +1... :-)

• jlayjlay Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I found 'SparkleShare' wasn't too bad the last time I used it (likely about two years ago...)

• ZshenZshen Member

I know I'm late to the party, but felt like I should throw my nickel out there... I really like OwnCloud. Being able to share files that are completely under my control is amazing. Many nice plugins available that add to the functionality of OwnCloud.

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited July 2015

@deadbeef said:
    I've been uploading my family camera images to Amazon Cloud Drive. Don't see why not, it's not like there's dick picks in it.

Amazon will extract and store the Exif data from the images even if you don't have dick pics in them

Thanked by 1deadbeef

@chinmoy said:
    Amazon will extract the and store Exif data from the images even if you don't have dick pics in them

That could turn into some interesting suggestions on the storefront. "I see you like Canon cameras, check this bad boy out."

Thanked by 1sin
  • @Jar said:
    That could turn into some interesting suggestions on the storefront. "I see you like Canon cameras, check this bad boy out."

That's where we are heading and it's disturbing.

edited July 2015

chinmoy said: That's where we are heading and it's disturbing.

I guess that's one perspective. I'm totally alright with that. I've been really enjoying the smart advertisements on Amazon and Facebook lately.