Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH: VPS-HDD 1vCore/2G Ram/10G + 1TB local SATA3 = 13e/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH: VPS-HDD 1vCore/2G Ram/10G + 1TB local SATA3 = 13e/mo

Comments

• @cmsjr123 said:

Opened a ticket. This. I mean, it should tell me somewhere. Not a tiny little green bar that I assumed was some news or info thingy ("Unleash your potential" doesn't sound like "open your account"). -.-

• sinsin Member

@ehab said:
    is this billable already or is it free until release? can't see prices except of the above!

I was wondering about this too

• I remember seeing this on twitter a day or two ago. I can only wonder what niche they hope to fill with this.

The middle tier offer is for 2TB disk, with fairly low VPS specs for 18EUR, when you can get a KS(2|3) for 10/15EUR with a 2TB disk as well. And the top tier 4TB one has the same VPS specs, and is 25EUR. I can only assume by the fairly low VPS specs(1core 2GB ram) they intend for this to be just for storage/backups, in which case you'd want the most for your money right? For an extra couple EUR you could get 6TB at hetzner. Only reason this would even be worth sorta considering is if it had gigabit, or as rm's test suggests I guess it has 10GE. But that seems sorta like a secondary consideration if you are after a high storage low cost server, maybe that is just me though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Setsura said: rm's test suggests I guess it has 10GE

Thing is, this can't be 10GE unmetered. And it's very interesting what they will decide about the bandwidth. How much is enough for a 1-4TB server. Or perhaps more likely, the OVH counterparts (to these RunAbove plans) will be limited to 100 Mbit, just like we had with the Sandbox vs KS1/VPS-SSD OVH Cloud plans. And on RunAbove this might not even go into production at all.

• Confirmed: Windows Server 2012 R2 Works fine!

• How did you get around it?

• wimboot

• @rm_ said:
    Or perhaps more likely, the OVH counterparts (to these RunAbove plans) will be limited to 100 Mbit, just like we had with the Sandbox vs KS1/VPS-SSD OVH Cloud plans.

If this ends up the case I would say my points are even more valid, where is the market for this when their own KS line can compete with the first two plans and hetzner provides 6TB for 28~EUR in their server bidding. I really do hope they decide for 10GE with a reasonable limit, it is all that would allow this offer to be worth considering to me.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@MarkTurner something similar to what your co. is offering, Right? (Same Concept)

• @MikeIn said:
    MarkTurner something similar to what your co. is offering, Right? (Same Concept)

Ovh and runabove are bigger and can offer a much better discount unfortunately.,,

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2015

@Mikeln - no we offer a dedicated core and you can stick an 8TB disk in for the same money.

Also their performance is very sucky.

Same tests as OP did but on our service:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.21845 s, 255 MB/s

SATA3 passthrough on the disks rather than what looks like SATA1

You can ship your choice of disk, you own it so you can ship it back when you're done or if you need to do a mass data migration.

Network performance:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2266.744 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3959 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1022 MB
    System uptime : 1 day, 17:48,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 86.1MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 27.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 53.7MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 12.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 70.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.59MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 25.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 25.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 57.1MB/s
    I/O speed : 393 MB/s

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/slothosting/

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • @MarkTurner they are different services, not sure if it's fair to compare them.

• @Traffic - if the customer elects for us to provide the disk then the service appears to be the same.

• MarkTurner said: @Traffic - if the customer elects for us to provide the disk then the service appears to be the same.

Didn't know you could do so. What are the prices? Or we can order and have them shipped at your facility directly?

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • MarkTurner said: if the customer elects for us to provide the disk then the service appears to be the same.

What drives are you using? oles has already confirmed they are using HGST enterprise disks that are extremely reliable (and quite expensive).

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2015

Traffic said: Didn't know you could do so. What are the prices? Or we can order and have them shipped at your facility directly?

Most customers ship from Amazon or NewEgg. You have choice of shipping any 2.5" or 3.5" SATA/SAS disk. So if you want a 8TB SATA or a 1TB SSD it makes no difference to us.

Others do a backup to the disk and then ship it to us, then continue incremental backups thereafter.

@TarZZ92 - Customer can choose what they want and we'll buy it on their behalf. For this service, its considered colocation so we're not bound by any brand allegiance. If you want those HGST disks, then you can just request it and pay accordingly. I think OVH uses HGST Ultrastar which we carry in stock anyway.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @desperand - can you run:

smartctl -i /dev/vdb

What disk make/model is it reporting?

• @MarkTurner

Fair enough :)

• @MarkTurner

he's not here so i have tried and here is your answer

/dev/vdb: Unable to detect device type

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @TarZZ92 said:

Check Amazon, they are not that expensive. And being able to choose the size you want is of course an added bonus.

• elwebmaster said: Check Amazon, they are not that expensive. And being able to choose the size you want is of course an added bonus.

amazon is probably the most expensive place to buy them

and the HGST Premium and Enterprise drives tend to cost £110-£220

• elwebmaster said: And being able to choose the size you want is of course an added bonus.

The big plus for me (I use the service too) is that I own the disk. So if I need it suddenly shipped to me for backup/restore then it can be done.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited July 2015

Haven't been able to get any of the Server 2012 qcow images I have made to work or the win8/10 one shared on the forum. Anyone up for the challenge?

More specifically, I have a 2.5GB Windows 8.1 image that errors saying it doesn't have enough space when trying to build the VM. But when I use the same image inside of oracle virtual box, the C drive is a total of 3GB used. So there should be plenty of space.

• Anyone think there are bandwidth limits or if they will be imposed?

• blackblack Member

cmsjr123 said: Anyone think there are bandwidth limits or if they will be imposed?

I don't think they'll give you 10G unmetered.

• With this performance its definitely not 10GE, I think the 10G in the title means 10GB of disk space rather than 10GE port.

Download speed from CacheFly: 53.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 2.06MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 506KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.15MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 76.6MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 56.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.12MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.9MB/s
    1Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 421KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 434KB/s
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2015

MarkTurner said: With this performance its definitely not 10GE

Didn't you see my post above? These speedtest servers are likely not 10GE themselves.
    I got 264 MB/sec from the Tele2 speedtest.
    And earlier got 5.04 Gbit upload at iperf to OVH's own iperf server.

MarkTurner said: 10G in the title means 10GB of disk space

Yeah this part is correct.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • @black said:

This i get. During the trial it is unmetered in and out as it says on the labs page. I am wondering what they will decide for later on. These are large storage solutions on a VPS the amount of bandwidth has to match. I am curious to see how they do it.