Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Cometh - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Cometh

13»

Comments

• @Maounique said:
    they must make it to run in the internet of things too, not to mention tv sticks, watches, etc

absolutely... thats where Linux (android) is winning it over. MS must bring down the size and rather offer a modular apporach to install the bloat as "extra" stuff if anyone needs it. Just like we have options in Linux. The core shall be trimmed to minimum.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2015

@jbiloh said:
    I find the start menu in Windows 10 very useful. It's a hundred times better than the catastrophe that was windows 8.

>

@Droidzone said:
    Catstrophe? I loved the feature which would search almost everything after typing the first few letters of a program. The old start button could never launch progs with that speed.

The problem I had with Windows 8 was that Microsoft did not give its customers the tools they needed to figure out how to operate the basic user interface to perform simple, ordinary tasks. Nearly all of my non-technical friends and customers were completely baffled by the Windows 8 user interface. If they didn't have a separate computer with a web browser to search for "How do I ... in Windows 8?", they got "stuck" and felt helpless and very frustrated. Some were reduced to tears.

I truly wonder whether Microsoft bothered to perform much real-world usability testing with ordinary non-technical consumers before they settled on the Windows 8 user interface design. If they did, then they need to revise how they choose test subjects, and change their testing methodology. Based on what I witnessed with my ordinary friends and customers, Windows 8 was a complete and utter fiasco.

Couple that with Microsoft's arrogance that forced PC manufacturers to ship new systems with Windows 8, and it compounded the problem in both support costs and loss of sales. Windows 8 wreaked financial havoc upon PC manufacturers. Microsoft implemented a few changes that made Windows 8.1 more palatable, but by then, the damage had been done.

We will have to watch what happens as Windows 10 is deployed, but Microsoft has made many changes that should work in their favor. It is hard to imagine anything worse than what happened with the original release of Windows 8.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

emg said: It is hard to imagine anything worse than what happened with the original release of Windows 8.

People found it hard to believe something worse than ME, Vista, could have been done...
    TBH, I have been given a laptop with windows 8.1 which, btw, also had the superfish stealth adware (a lenovo) and I had a hard time with it.
    Now I had it heavily customised to look like a "normal" windows UI, but some tasks are still confusing. And I am no newbie, albeit a bit old and have seen in production things like windows 3.11, so, maybe used to the old UI for a too long time, but I have no issues with XFCE4 upper taskbar arrangements and other weird things in terms of UI like fluxbox compared with standard windows ui, so, this arrangement was really counter-intuitive. I will upgrade to 10 when time comes, but will keep the images of 8.1 partitions (of course, no recovery media was provided).

• edited July 2015

Hi guys, I'm downloading from here :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Is it ok? I just have 10 mbits so it's going to take forever ( not to mention it's not passing the 150 KB/s).

I'm going to download it through one of my lebs and then place it in nginx and download it from there. seeems like m$osft servers are being hammered (?).

EDIT: seems like DO ( I previously stated I was using Ramnode to do this) is doing a superb job as always.. less than 3 mins when It would have took me maybe a day instead.. Let's see at how much I can download from my nginx ;)

EDIT 2 : thank god I've installed it in VMware.. It's gone now. Xubuntu all the way !

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited July 2015

Another new build today! No new features obvious, just bug fixes. The polishing continues in preparation for rtm.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wychwych Member

inthecloudblog said: m$osft servers are being hammered (?)

More than likely.

• I will wait for 29th July to tryout RTM build.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited July 2015

Placing a self mirror is non legal right?
    I guess I'd also have my boxes ddosed

inthecloudblog said: Placing a self mirror is non legal right?

I am not sure what you mean by self mirror, if only for you, that is like making a back-up, it must be legal, if you allow access to whoever finds it, then it is not allowed, pretty sure Microsoft will not allow someone else to distribute their files unless marked as redistributable under certain conditions.

• edited July 2015

Hi, I meant hosting myself a copy ( one of these trial versions) but you stated it's against the law so I won't do it.
    I'd also be having
    Bandwidth issues

Regards

If you asked me a few weeks ago if Windows 10 would be ready for RTM in July my answer would have been a hard no. But I've got to say I'm impressed by how far its come in the past month or so (obviously there is a delay between build time and when its released to the fast ring). Using 10166 today and it's pretty much production ready IMHO.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD

inthecloudblog said: I meant hosting myself a copy

Hosting yourself a copy is allowed, just make sure you password protect the directory.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

Build 10240, aka RTM is being released to all rings right now. Check it out!

• KaiKai Member

I was sad they suspended the insider preview but I hope to be able to get the RTM version soon as an insider.

• @jbiloh said:
    Build 10240, aka RTM is being released to all rings right now. Check it out!

Pretty good! Something with nvidia drivers broke my mouse pointer, but re-installed and all is well.

• Hopefully they have removed most of the bugs in this meantime. Expect to have few updates within a month.

Downloading now...!

I'm installing 10240 right now. We shall see how it is...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • any comment on the 10240 update size? more than a GigaByte?

So how is everyone liking the windows 10 experience?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2015

jbiloh said: So how is everyone liking the windows 10 experience?

it's horrid. no real start menu return (classic shell still works though) for one and basically its windows 8.1 with a new UI

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    So how is everyone liking the windows 10 experience?

working as it should

• Works well, so far.

Anyway, some people might be interested in disabling the stuff pointed out in

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

and

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

I have a hard time seeing the windows 8.1 comparison. I think windows 10 is closer to 7 than 8.

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2015

jbiloh said: So how is everyone liking the windows 10 experience?

I really like it, I was running Windows 7 Pro and after doing the upgrade I did a Windows 10 Pro clean install and have been running it ever since release day...haven't encountered any issues and playing the hell out of MGS: The Phantom Pain on it right now :)

I also helped my family members upgrade to Windows 10 and they like it too especially my father who has a 5 year old laptop and Windows 10 breathed new life into it.