Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10 Cometh - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 10 Cometh

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Too bad the free update doesn't apply to Windows 8.1 Enterprise

• i also hate what they did to the start menu. the first builds where good (looked like a real one) now it's just a polished windows 8.1 version (plus a tiny bit extra)

Thanked by 2adamluk 4n0nx
  • emgemg Veteran

I installed Windows 10 technical preview in a virtual machine the same day it was announced. I keep it on the fast ring. I don't use it much, to be honest, but it is nice to have around for testing. There are still bugs and issues with it.

According to others, I cannot yet reserve a Windows 10 update for my legally activated Windows 7 virtual machine. Apparently the virtual machine's VMware Tools drivers fail Microsoft's graphics driver check that precedes the reservation. VMware is pointing the finger at Microsoft, and Microsoft is not responding, if you believe VMware. It begs the question that if Parallels can have a compatible graphics driver, why can't VMware? (... and thus avoid the issue of blaming Microsoft for not approving VMware's driver?)

• Windows 10 preview was very nice, I hope the final version is as good!

• @jbiloh said:

@SkylarM said:
    I actually just updated to windows 10 been meaning to give it a try. I'm liking it so far. Seems I'm on 10130 though, and it won't update past that

In case you want to upgrade to Build 10162, ISO's are available.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

@Shivam said:
    Hey, just wondering will windows 10 increase speeds? compared to windows 7?

Yep.

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited July 2015

skipping 2000...

98 > millennium > xp > vista > 7 > 8 > 10

see a pattern here?

• cassacassa Member

@belinik said:
    skipping 2000...

98 > millennium > xp > vista > 7 > 8 > 10

see a pattern here?

No

• smansman Member
    edited July 2015

How about drivers for misc. things like printers? Do a lot of Win7/8.1 drivers work? That is always the biggest showstopper I run into with M$ OS updates and the reason I like to wait for awhile before updating.

Yes I know M$ includes a lot of drivers but there are many that are not included and need to come from the manufacturers. Those are the sorts of drivers I am talking about.

Do I still need to use programs like Classic Shell to get Windows 7 desktop behaviour or did they finally walk back that nonsense of trying to force me to use their annoying tablet GUI.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I haven't had any driver problems in recent memory on Windows 10. As I've said before the latest few builds are great, but that's on a relative basis (compared to the buggy stuff from 3+ months ago). I think Microsoft is pushing it trying to get Win 10 released in July.

Got the 10162 update finally. Nicer indeed.

• @jbiloh said:
    Windows 10 makes 7 (which I really like, fyi) feel dated.

True, but I still use Windows 7 because of a few things:

• has Solitaire

• has pinball

• doesn't include the new, really awkward start area

• more supported software

• doesn't have the ugly metro UI yet

• still hasn't been discounted (meaning that I still get security updates, etcetera)

• I've had a few crashes on 10162, but I'm pretty positive it's nvidia driver related (too lazy to check right now) -- otherwise runs like a dream.

• Any screenshots of Windows 10? What are the top 3 favorite new features of yours?

I'm still on Windows 7 at my office computer, but have 8 at home - I don't mind either.

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    Any screenshots of Windows 10? What are the top 3 favorite new features of yours?

I'm still on Windows 7 at my office computer, but have 8 at home - I don't mind either.

Look how clean it is.. it's amazing

I find the start menu in Windows 10 very useful. It's a hundred times better than the catastrophe that was windows 8.

• jbiloh said: catastrophe that was windows 8.

Catstrophe? I loved the feature which would search almost everything after typing the first few letters of a program. The old start button could never launch progs with that speed.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Anyone know if storage spaces created on Windows 8.1 will transition smoothly over to Windows 10, without corruption or any other weird issues? I got one pool on this work box, but it's only 8 TB (three-way mirror, so in reality: 2.4 TB).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Droidzone said:

Me too

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • The news is that Windows 10 will hit RTM in coming days so I'm not sure they will be able to remove as many bugs as they want.

• LOL :') our school are just upgrading to win 8. Told IT teacher that win 10 is out in a few weeks. He swore :')

Thanked by 2netomx FlamesRunner
  • we are way behind, finally got IE 10 about 5 months ago... W7 4 life

• SweetSweet Member

Can anyone shed some light on the new system memory allocator in w10? Is it a big improvement over 8.1?

• slowdiveslowdive Member
    edited July 2015

The company I work for (large corporate) still hasn't really rolled out Windows 7 as it's still only out with pilot users! All the other 900 users are still on XP.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • pcanpcan Member

I'm rolling out 8.1 now. I would love to install Windows 10, but I need to wait the official support from software vendors. I guess that Autodesk will support it in 2017.

Thanked by 1netomx

@Sweet said:
    Can anyone shed some light on the new system memory allocator in w10? Is it a big improvement over 8.1?

I find performance to be much better on 10 vs 8. System consumption is also a bit better, but not dramatically.

Right now, for example, I'm using 3 GB with outlook and a few browser tabs open.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Will it run in vmware?

• TravTrav Member

@inthecloudblog said:
    Will it run in vmware?

Yes it will, as I am running it in VMWare right now.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • What's the size that the OS eats up?

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited July 2015

@TheLonely said:
    What's the size that the OS eats up?

want to know as well... I heard MS is slimming it down for Win10.
    Definitely a "decisive" factor for many businesses nowadays

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@mehargags said:

rather for the odd devices that people make these days, they must make it to run in the internet of things too, not to mention tv sticks, watches, etc, otherwise will not have the ubiquity they want and probably need to maintain the monopoly.