Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked, bunch of VPS customers offline

Comments

• @soluslabs did you get a response from CVPS? If not I might no why...

• @FTN_Kevin said: Gravatar.com

Cheers

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@solusvm thanks for clarification, good to know you checked the code, hope you do an independent audit and I hope everything turns out okay

• @Mun said: @soluslabs did you get a response from CVPS? If not I might no why...

Since the last update.. No.

• ^ what he said.

• @soluslabs hire jeremiah?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2012

This thread just gets more interesting...

• Actually this was already talked about in the chicagovps update thread. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5727/chicagovps-update#Item_127

• @soluslabs said: Like i said the code has been checked (serveral times) and not security issue were found.

Has it been testing by a 3rd party? You can't really test your own creation objectively.

• @miTgiB said: Has it been testing by a 3rd party? You can't really test your own creation objectively.

Not since this thread was reported to us.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Just opensource it.. We will gladly test it out for you?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Just opensource it.

And then what is the incentive to pay the fee? I know I would still pay some fee to insure development, but not the $350/mo I pay now.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@miTgiB said: And then what is the incentive to pay the fee? I know I would still pay some fee to insure development, but not the $350/mo I pay now.

It was a joke. We both know that they will never do it :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Weesh, lay off Solus a bit, at least they are here and trying to show their interest.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@soluslabs said: Like i said the code has been checked (serveral times) and not security issue were found.

Of course you did and of course you found nothing.
    That is the definition of an exploit, isnt it, a flaw that managed to pass the checks, if everyone would be able to detect all flaws at checks then all software would be perfect because I cant think of any programmer in their right mind releasing unchecked products.
    This being said:
    1. Glad you are here;
    2. Sad you do not consider this a reputable forum, but I can understand why it looks so at first, however, lack of heavy moderation has it's good aspects, too many heavily moderated forums out there where you can err or considered to err simply by rules interpretations;
    3. It does seem this was not a real exploit, more like an exploitation of a human error;
    4. This thread is one of the most enlightening about how some things work int he industry, conspiracy theory or not, in the end someone will put all the threads together and someone who knows someone that knows someone will come up with at least part of the truth.
    This is why we love LET in the end. For things like these.
    M

• I think it os a good idea to hire jeremiah, consider it @soluslabs. he is way better compared to we3cares

• Sorry more on the side of SolusLabs if this was indeed some kind of "in the wild exploit", WHT would be blown up with downtime complaints and/or emails from other affected providers.

Anyone reporting malicious probing/scannings with their nodes, WHMCS, SolusVM, etc? If so, exploit in the wild. If not, what everybody has already said or is thinking but won't say.

• I can't tell anymore what the real facts are based on CVPS communications, nor from this huge thread.

@Randy said: good idea to hire jeremiah

Yes, as a customer who probably lost their data, Jeremiah's good reputation is the only thing that gives me some hope of finding answers now. It seems he has left CVPS meanwhile, and I hope Jeremiah will come out with the full truth, however ugly.

My questions:
    (1) Was there an intrusion? If so: outsider or disgruntled employee?
    (2) If a software issue: was root cause confirmed, and how?
    (3) Any hope of recovering any data from the VPS instances? Was data deleted or just compromised? If not recoverable, then I for one am quite F'd.
    (4) Was private client and credit card data compromised?

Take your time to get your stuff together Jeremiah, it must be shitty times for you now, but please do tell us what really happened from your perspective and live up to your reputation. (apologies if you answered these questions anywhere else).

• @CentralAmerica,

1. CVPS has said there was a security breech in the SolusVM API area.

2. Disgruntled employee? Perhaps. Jeremiah is gone from both companies (which was a weird arrangement for two companies that aren't related supposedly).

3. SolusVM keeps getting poked at here. Nothing conclusive and main point at last check was that CVPS had NOT contacted them or did so with nothing useful provided.

4. Data is gone. Gone from your VPS, gone from backups you would have needed to manually have scheduled in Solus panel.

No details on how the data was lost. But it includes backups done as long as three weeks ago. Probably took out all their backups. 10% of their servers were destroyed using numbers they provided.

1. As for billing. There was something in there from Chris that wasn't warm and fuzzy. Yes they store the card data in their system. Was it stolen? Anyone's guess.
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2012

@soluslabs said: Oh you mean this part? "fetch all users first and then compare"

mysql_ can still be as safe as using PDO_MYSQL. A PDO prepared statement can still be susceptible to an SQL injection attack. We have had plans for a while now to phase out mysql_ and will continue with these in due course.

I said 'some of the things joepie91' said, not all of them.

@joepie91 said: If you have to hide your security to make it effective, there is something HORRIBLY wrong with your code.

+1

@soluslabs said: I'm saying it can still be susceptible to an SQL injection attack.

Correct, second order SQL injection. However, it virtually makes first order SQL injection impossible. So PDO should still be used.

@soluslabs said: mysql_ can still be as safe as using PDO_MYSQL. A PDO prepared statement can still be susceptible to an SQL injection attack. We have had plans for a while now to phase out mysql_ and will continue with these in due course.

That's where I think you're wrong. This should be top priority. You've got a VPS control panel, not a grocery list application! Security and code quality should be for very first concern! WHMCS has some of the same crazy "security practices".

Also: I've send @soluslabs a PM with some other feedback not mentioned here.

• @mpkossen said: Also: I've send @soluslabs a PM with some other feedback not mentioned here.

I will reply to it shortly :)

• What has everyone been getting in the way of compensation?

• Nothing here, at least for the moment.

• During the incident I had an invoice for one of my servers for $7 (Enterprise Deal) which was later cancelled to $0.

• How can you guys be sure that @Soluslabs /is/ soluslabs?

• @kamalnasser said: How can you guys be sure that @Soluslabs /is/ soluslabs?

The replies are on par for We3Cares responses. Had the misfortune of working with them directly while helping out a VPS company. They were one of the first things to go.

• That's not we3cares, it's soluslabs posting as... @soluslabs.

• @MartinD said: That's not we3cares, it's soluslabs posting as... @soluslabs.

That's scarier to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.