Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET not reliable for choosing a host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET not reliable for choosing a host

KaiKai Member

So the other day I mentioned that I was looking for a new host to move from my current host(ASO). I mentioned I'd used a few places including LET and my friend's eyes sort of bulged out of their head(We were on Skype) and said

"You have an active forum. Why would you use a host you find on LET?"
Apparently, according to him, buying from a host on LET isn't smart lol.

Is that true :P Just curious is all.

Comments

• wychwych Member

Depends which host(s) you pick.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It's up to the person that's buyng. Plenty of stable and reliable hosts are posting in LET/LEB. Plenty of extremely shitty once as well. Do your research, don't buy the cheapest and you'd be okey. It's the same if you're browsing LET, WHT or VPSBoard.

• NdhaNdha Member
    edited June 2015

The Truth is : you must be SMART to choose..

tell your friend about this..

Thanked by 1JürgenM
  • There are plenty of reliable hosts on LET and other forums/communities, regardless of where you find your host you could always get a bad host. It's up to you as the client to do some research before purchasing, especially if you intend to use the services for production.

• I suppose it's accurate to an extent. My very first vps from let was a myrsk box. It was reliable and I moved seeking better specs per dollar. Myrsk no longer offers those locations.

The next was ugvps. Everyone knows how that went.

The next was fliphost. They ended up merging.

Next was iniz, they also sold the business. Though the plan's still active, I've moved data to prometeus, though there's a significant price difference.

• Before you choose your future provider you should read some reviews.

You can check also the provider up-time and the quality of the network.

To help you better it would be helpful to know:

• What you are going to use your site for?
    • How much bandwidth you will need?
    • Where are most of the users of the website going to be located?

Regards,
    Gregory

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If you go to the marketplace and buy rotten tomatoes, is it the marketplace's fault or your fault that you didn't look closer at what you were buying? Same goes with LET, if you are careful you can get some good deals.

• KaiKai Member

@MisterHost_NET said:
    Before you choose your future provider you should read some reviews.

You can check also the provider up-time and the quality of the network.

To help you better it would be helpful to know:

• What you are going to use your site for?
    • How much bandwidth you will need?
    • Where are most of the users of the website going to be located?

Regards,
    Gregory

Are you specifically asking me those questions or is it what I need to ask myself?

It's am IPB(Invision power Board) forum
    bandwidth is negligible as I never use anywhere near .01 my allotment.

Most users are European but it seems US is a better central fit for those users in Australia, Japan, middle east etc etc

• @Kai said:

I recommend to open a thread and to ask the community for an offer regarding hosting your forum on it.
    Just post more informations as you can so you get relevant offers.

Anyway, LET is the best place to get offers from. Here can not survive the *Bad Hosts.

Good luck choosing your host.

Gregory.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

@Droidzone said:
    I suppose it's accurate to an extent. My very first vps from let was a myrsk box. It was reliable and I moved seeking better specs per dollar. Myrsk no longer offers those locations.

The next was ugvps. Everyone knows how that went.

The next was fliphost. They ended up merging.

Next was iniz, they also sold the business. Though the plan's still active, I've moved data to prometeus, though there's a significant price difference.

What location was that? :-)

Can definitely make a great deal for previous clients.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Droidzone said: I've moved data to prometeus, though there's a significant price difference.

Hum, we are pretty cheap, but obviously not the cheapest, if you get one of the rare promos, we are probably close to the cheapest hosts, even US ones.
    Due to the switch away from small E3s, we also no longer offer really small boxes like 50MB/128/256, etc, but they are still available for old customers in good standing, however, the prices remained what they were some 3 years ago when those were still useful to many people, not just a few like now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Kai said: "You have an active forum. Why would you use a host you find on LET?" Apparently, according to him, buying from a host on LET isn't smart lol.

Well, it is a site for LowEndBoxes...

I think of LET/LEB as a sort of specialty market. Not for everyone.

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: Well, it is a site for LowEndBoxes...

No it's not. It's a site for LowEndPrices where the price stays the same but the resources keep on rising. Well in some offers they do. But largely those lowendbox ideals are well gone.

raindog308 said: I think of LET/LEB as a sort of specialty market. Not for everyone.

meh...

• @HBAndrei said:
    If you go to the marketplace and buy rotten tomatoes, is it the marketplace's fault or your fault that you didn't look closer at what you were buying? Same goes with LET, if you are careful you can get some good deals.

Also, you can never be sure that the inside of the tomato is fully fit to eat unless you actually cut it and try it out, so thats that.

Thanked by 1Kai
  • @HBAndrei said:

This is the 21st century. humans are here to drink, not to think

• @Lee said:
    No it's not. It's a site for LowEndPrices where the price stays the same but the resources keep on rising.

Gotta love how inflation only applies to one of those two factors. I bet someone could make an amusing line graph about it.

• Kai said: "You have an active forum. Why would you use a host you find on LET?"

I wonder what he means by that. Anything?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

I haven't yet found a provider here without flaws, so your mate is probably right.

• Nothing. There are a lot of hosts on LET that can support an 'active forum'.

• souensouen Member

Forum's not perfect but it's informative and relatively reliable if you take the time to check. There are many good providers with a presence on LET and as others said, look at comments and topics about the provider before buying. From the latter you can see how a provider might handle downtime, hardware failures and other issues, as well as how they treat customers.

If something is unclear, ask a pre-sales question. It saves you and the provider time down the road from assuming x is included/applicable when it's not the case.

Read the TOS/AUP, as often it tells more about the company at first glance. Some personal red flags: multiple typos, document copied from another site (especially obvious when the jurisdictional region doesn't match company addresses). If there's any section you're not comfortable with, ask for details, see if it's a commonly acceptable practice or let it go and look at other offers.

Hope that answers your question somewhat.

• KaiKai Member

@Ole_Juul said:

Basically you have an active community, why would you trust your site with hosts on LET because most of them are scams/low quality or are offering more than they can actually provide/support.

(I followed up now).

I always used WHT but I figured since I had an account here, I'd ask for suggestions to get a feel for hosts here.

• rsk said: What location was that? :-)
    Can definitely make a great deal for previous clients.

Thank you. I checked your website and it seems Czech location is still there. I may have misread/imagined that you withdrew from there.

Maounique said: Hum, we are pretty cheap, but obviously not the cheapest, if you get one of the rare promos, we are probably close to the cheapest hosts, even US ones.

Oh I was definitely not complaining. I moved from a 2GB RAM, 100GB HDD OpenVZ plan at $48 annually on INIZ, to a XP18 Prometeus plan with 1.8 GB RAM, 180GB HDD Xen plan at $79 annually.

• Kai said: most of them are scams/low quality

I think you'll find that we have no scams here and a minority provide low quality. There are certain hosts here that don't provide production-quality services, but there are definitely quite some that do.

Thanked by 1Kai
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Kai

Bottom line is that like any product, there is good, indifferent, bad and downright WTF.

Research is your friend. You will find the same suggestions for great hosts here that you will also find in most other popular hosting related forums.

If your content is really important then:

Prometeus.net
    Ramnode.com
    Castlegem.com
    minivps.co.uk

But they will cost you and rightly so.

If it's price dependant and you need good stable services search here for reviews and listen to what people are saying about the providers you come across.

If it's just for the lols then try chicagovps.

No matter how good they are and no matter how highly I would recommend any provider always have a backup plan and strategy to move. Just never know what may happen.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Take a look at the offers section for this forum.

Of the current first page, there is only one host which I would personally use for serious production stuff, it is SeFlow.

There are some others which are fine for personal stuff which doesn't matter much, but the list gets pretty short if you remove all the hosts which will surely not be there within the next five years or will need to make significant changes to subsist.

Disclaimer: this is just my personal point of view, don't want anyone to be butthurt.

Thanked by 1Kai
  • Kai said: Basically you have an active community, why would you trust your site with hosts on LET because most of them are scams/low quality or are offering more than they can actually provide/support.

I checked out what people were saying here, and based on the forum talk ended up buying from Prometheus. As an example, what would you say is wrong with them?

• KaiKai Member
    edited June 2015

@Lee said:
    Kai

Bottom line is that like any product, there is good, indifferent, bad and downright WTF.

Research is your friend. You will find the same suggestions for great hosts here that you will also find in most other popular hosting related forums.

If your content is really important then:

Prometeus.net
    Ramnode.com
    Castlegem.com
    minivps.co.uk

But they will cost you and rightly so.

If it's price dependant and you need good stable services search here for reviews and listen to what people are saying about the providers you come across.

If it's just for the lols then try chicagovps.

No matter how good they are and no matter how highly I would recommend any provider always have a backup plan and strategy to move. Just never know what may happen.

Appreciate it :) You are right!
    I did reach out the Prometheus but unfortunately they don't offer Managed Services, which is unfortunate. I've heard the name a few times and heard good things. Same with Ramnode as well but alas they don't offer managed services which is what I'd need

(Cpanel installing, Server hardening, migrating, and litespeed installation).

• KaiKai Member

@Ole_Juul said:

I wouldn't say anything is wrong with them. I never used them.

• LeeLee Veteran

@kai - I missed the managed part. In that case futurehosting.com, you can't go wrong with them.

Thanked by 1Kai
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Ole_Juul said: I checked out what people were saying here, and based on the forum talk ended up buying from Prometheus. As an example, what would you say is wrong with them?

They are one of the finest providers around here you still get personal support for them if something goes wrong, not canned replies. They also intentionally stopped their growth to preserve service quality, which says a lot about their priorities.

Thanked by 1Maounique