Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Sold Out] [France] Dedi Atom 4Gb 1Tb 5.55$/Month 30 pieces - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Sold Out] [France] Dedi Atom 4Gb 1Tb 5.55$/Month 30 pieces

Comments

• @ikoula i send you a private message, can you please take a look at it ?

• @Ikoula
    After 24 hours I still didn't receive any email of confirmation of my payment nor the server that I paid for yesterday.

Could you please check order #344268? I also sent you yesterday a copy of my ID card.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@derekyang from what i see your server has been delivered can you confirm ?

@alaningus i confirm reset function returns server to delivery state.

@Issam2204 your order is still in sales hands.

• krishnapkrishnap Member
    edited June 2015

dang.. too slow again

• Ikoula said: @derekyang from what i see your server has been delivered can you confirm ?

Good! it's delivered. thx

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@Ikoula delivered, thanks. It's clobbering time :)

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited June 2015

Double post removed

• Guys, a simple question: anyone here bought a server yesterday after 1PM (London time)?

• @Issam2204 said:
    Guys, a simple question: anyone here bought a server yesterday after 1PM (London time)?

Ordered and paid at about 10.30am (BST) but didn't get ID request email from them till >15.00 (BST)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Tried to install Ubuntu using the guide. Didn't work (or at least I couldn't ping it after 20 minutes) so had to reset. Would like to know how you get on if you try it.

• @alaningus said:
    Tried to install Ubuntu using the guide. Didn't work.

Sorry to hear that. I've only just given it a go and the Ubuntu installer is up and running. A few thoughts in case it helps:

• Did you change the --set-root ID in 40_custom?
    • Double check the IP, mask and gateway IPs.
    • Reboot and pingable took just over a minute on my server. Maybe 2 mins max before I could log in as user installer.

I'll step through the install now and let you know if I spot any other issues.

• @poolroom said:

Hi, yeah I changed the ID to same as existing grub.cfg. Left the mask as 255.255.255.0. Changed IP to mine. What did you put for yourikoula_gw ? I put my server's 'name' ie 12345abcde.ikexpress.com

• @alaningus said:
    Hi, yeah I changed the ID to same as existing grub.cfg. Left the mask as 255.255.255.0. Changed IP to mine. What did you put for yourikoula_gw ? I put my server's 'name' ie 12345abcde.ikexpress.com

• Gateway IP is standard from the iKoula debian install, 213.246.56.1
    • I left the Google DNS there (8.8.8.8)
    • Server name, I just used my preferred shortname for the device.

Installation is pretty quick, probably about 20 mins all up. Package downloads are very quick, and package installation runs at... Atom speeds. :)

Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-55-generic x86_64)

She's up and running.

• I would add to poolroom's comments that if you copy and paste from the original guide, it added line returns in the wrong places - the linux line should be one long string..

• I plan on looking into a few different options on this server. I'd like to see CentOS 7 running on it and I've seen mentioned that the VNC install would likely work.

Has anyone tried that yet by chance? Any tips on kicking it off via grub?

• @poolroom said:

Damn. I thought the gateway might be the clincher

@graystevens said:

Yeah. Figured that one after some head scratching.

Cheers guys. I'll give it another try tomorrow morning. :)

• Struggling to get back into my box after running through the installer... Is there more to it that a 'next next next'? It's rebooted and I can't get a ping..

• @Ikoula After 40 hours I still didn't receive any email of confirmation of my payment nor the server that I paid for yesterday.

Could you please check order #344202? I also sent a copy of my ID card.

• @graystevens said:
    Is there more to it that a 'next next next'? It's rebooted and I can't get a ping..

Sorry, nothing more to it on my install. About the only deviation I did was say "No" to the initial drive layout just so I could see the partitioning detail. I accepted the default layout and no other special steps.

The first boot took the usual 60-90 seconds and I could log in with my chosen account.

@guonning please see with my colleagues from sales you can write them at [email protected]

• missed this offer, looking for the next around offer from ikoula

• Tried this 3 times now without even getting a ping.

Probably some stupid thing I'm missing but I'll probably leave it as Debian. Not much different to Ubuntu anyway.

+1 to the Debian purists !

:)

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited July 2015

so both servers got delivered , the disk on the first one has been used for 4.7 years but the disk on the second one is 15 hours old :D :) But at the same time processor on the first one is d525 while on the other its d510, a difference of 200 MHz between the two.

Nevertheless, can anyone suggest me some hardcore testing scripts before I put these two to use ? plus does anyone still have that script somebody wrote from the previous offer for installing centos using the netboot option ?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

raza19 said: does anyone still have that script somebody wrote from the previous offer for installing centos using the netboot option ?

@poolroom was kind enough to post it on the top of this page :)

• billyriantonobillyriantono Member, Host Rep

sold out again :(

• ciderocidero Member

I am pretty happy with the server. Netinstall of Ubuntu went smoothly without issues. Configuring IPv6 was as easy as adding this to the /etc/network/interfaces (where 213:246:56:xx is my IPv4 address):

iface eth0 inet6 static address 2a00:c70:1:213:246:56:xx:1 netmask 96 gateway 2a00:c70:1:213:246:56::1 dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844

Since I did the netinstall of Ubuntu right after I got the server, I didn't save the Ikoula DNS resolvers. Currently I use the Google ones but I'd prefer to use the DNS from the provider. I found ns1.ikoula.fr - ns4.ikoula.fr but apparently that are authoritative servers and they can not be used as resolvers.

Can someone tell me the DNS resolvers of Ikoula?

• 8nation8nation Member
    edited July 2015

@cidero said:
    Can someone tell me the DNS resolvers of Ikoula?

Here's what was on mine:

nameserver 213.246.33.144

nameserver 213.246.36.14

nameserver 80.93.83.11

nameserver 80.93.83.25

Thanked by 1cidero
  • 8nation8nation Member
    edited July 2015

For anyone wanting to get CentOS on these servers, it is possible via a VNC install. Here's how.

• Start with the standard iKoula debian install.
    • In: /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

• In: /etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry "CentosInstall" {

insmod part_gpt

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,gpt2)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c2a14f8e-b323-4eb7-981f-aca8c2139720

linux /vmlinuz.cent7.pxe gpt vnc vncpassword=YOUR6to8PASS ip=YOURIP netmask=255.255.255.0 gateway=YOURGATEWAYIP dns=8.8.8.8 hostname=YOURHOSTNAME ksdevice=eth0 method=http://mirror.ate.info/ftp.centos.org/7/os/x86_64/ lang=en_US keymap=us biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0

initrd /initrd.img.cent7.pxe

}

• Change the "--set=root" partition ID to your own. You can get that from /boot/grub/grub.cfg , it'll be listed in there several times - ignore the first entry you see.
    • Change the YOUR... fields on the linux line to your detail. Note that the VNC password must be 6-8 characters long.
    • You can use any CentOS mirror you like, that's just one I chose.

Next, download the required boot files:

Get grub in the right state to boot up the CentOS installer with these commands:

update-grub

grub-set-default 0

grub-reboot CentosInstall

• What that does is only use the CentOS boot option once. So if anything goes wrong just reboot your server from iKoula's interface and she should come back to your original Debian install (after the 3 mins+ reboot wait).

Finally, when you're ready to start it off:

reboot

• Your server should respond to ping about 2 minutes after the reboot command.
    • You won't be able to SSH into the installer (anaconda), just VNC.
    • VNC availability is dependant on download time - your server is downloading a 274MB image from the mirror on first boot. On my server it took about 4 mins after the reboot command for VNC to be up and available.

Connect to your server with a VNC client, using port 5901, aka VNC screen 1. You'll need the password you put on the grub linux line above.

Once you're in the installer:

• Note that the debian filestructure is still there on the disk, so choose the manual partition option, or "make additional space available" auto option to clear them out.
    • The ikexpress.com hostname for your server will still appear in the Network setup if you haven't changed the reverse DNS for your host.

Installation takes about 10 mins, reboot and your CentOS server will come up with SSH available etc, as per normal.

cat /etc/centos-release

CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)

Beautiful. There should be VNC in more things. :)

Thanked by 2raza19 raza19
  • 8nation8nation Member
    edited July 2015

In case anyone is still following this thread and is interested in FreeBSD. Here's how you can get it going on iKoula's Green Fish (or maybe any headless machine without console).

Firstly I had no luck with FreeBSDs native boot loader on my server. This server has an Intel DM510MO motherboard with BIOS version 0311. A bit of research online shows these earlier BIOS revisions have a few issues with loaders and perhaps that's the issue on my server. Without console access it's hard to say for sure.

What I've done instead is reduce the size of the standard Debian install and kept it in place for it's grub loader and as a fall back OS. You can follow my method or try a standard install using FreeBSD's boot loader and see if it'll work for you - if it doesn't you can always reset your machine and come back to my method.

What to do:

• Start with the standard iKoula debian install.

If you want to try a native boot loader install skip ahead past the resizing and go to the download step. Otherwise, for my method:

• Restart the server in iKoula's Netboot mode.

You need to use this mode to resize the existing partitions. You can use resize2fs and parted to do this, but the easiest way I found was to map the X11 display back to your local machine and run gparted which can do all resizing neater and easier. Here's a glimpse at how I reduced the partitions - basically, keeping it to a minimum:

I found you need to resize the root partition sda4 twice to get its true usage recognised. The first resize estimates that approx 15.9GB is in use, so just resize it to 16GB. After doing that the correct usage will be picked up and you can resize it down further. I also resized the swap partition sda3 down to 1GB and moved sda4 back to take out the space between them.

Once you've finished resizing, reboot back into Debian.

• Download the required boot file:

wget -O /boot/mfsbsd-10.1-RELEASE-amd64.iso http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/files/iso/10/amd64/mfsbsd-10.1-RELEASE-amd64.iso

• In: /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

menuentry "mfsbsd" {

insmod part_gpt

insmod ext2

set root='(hd0,gpt2)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c2a14f8e-b323-4eb7-981f-aca8c2139720

set isofile=/mfsbsd-10.1-RELEASE-amd64.iso

loopback loop $isofile

kfreebsd (loop)/boot/kernel/kernel.gz -v

kfreebsd_module (loop)/boot/kernel/ahci.ko

kfreebsd_module (loop)/mfsroot.gz type=mfs_root

set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.hostname="YOURHOSTNAME"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.interfaces="re0"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.ifconfig_re0="inet YOURIP/24"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.defaultrouter="213.246.56.1"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.nameservers="213.246.33.144 213.246.36.14"

set kFreeBSD.mfsbsd.rootpw="YOURPASSWD"

}

• Change the "--set=root" partition ID to your own. You can get that from /boot/grub/grub.cfg , it'll be listed in there several times - ignore the first entry you see.
    • Change the YOUR... fields on the set lines to your detail.

Get grub in the right state to boot up mfsbsd with these commands:

update-grub

grub-set-default 0

grub-reboot mfsbsd

What that does is only use the mfsbsd boot option once. So if anything goes wrong just reboot your server from iKoula's web interface and she should come back to your original Debian install (after the 3 mins+ reboot wait).

Finally, when you're ready to start it off:

reboot

• Your server should respond to ping about 2 minutes after the reboot command.
    • You can ssh into the server as user root with the password you specified in the grub config file.

Once you have logged into the server skip forward to the bsdinstall step to use FreeBSD's native boot loader, or to use my method first create partitions manually with these commands:

gpart add -t freebsd-swap -s 4G ada0

gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -s 10G ada0

newfs -U /dev/ada0p6

gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 6 ada0

mount /dev/ada0p6 /mnt

Make the freebsd-ufs root partition as large as you wish. I'm keeping mine small because I intend on adding a large encrypted ZFS partition later.

Note the commands that refer to partition number 6. If you've deviated from my partition layout you will need to adjust that number to suit your layout.

• Start the FreeBSD installer:

bsdinstall

Once you're in the installer:

• If you are following my method without the FreeBSD boot loader, at the Partitioning step choose the Shell option, then simply type exit and the installation will continue. Otherwise choose the Partitioning method and drive layout you prefer - you don’t need to keep any existing partitions.
    • Note that FreeBSD's default OpenSSH configuration prevents direct root login. So when the installer gives you an option to create a user account you should do so. This user account must be a member of the group wheel - you do that at the question "Invite username into other groups?" when creating the user.
    • I typically keep the install lean and mean. There's no need for further packages, the ports tree, the source tree, the 32 bit libraries etc. All of these can be added later.

When you exit the installer it will drop you back to the mfsbsd prompt. If you've gone with the native boot loader skip ahead to the shutdown command. Otherwise...

Because of the manual partition setup you will need to manually construct FreeBSD's fstab. Do that with:

vi /mnt/etc/fstab

• Paste in this content:

# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass

/dev/ada0p5 none swap sw 0 0

/dev/ada0p6 / ufs rw 1 1

Again, adjust those partition numbers if you chose a different partition layout to mine.

Now simply reboot mfsbsd:

shutdown -r now

If you’ve chosen the FreeBSD native boot loader that should be it. Your server might reboot into FreeBSD in approx. 2 mins. Please let us know if it worked.

If you’ve gone with my method your server will reboot back into Debian. Once there add this grub config:

menuentry "FreeBSD" --class freebsd --class bsd --class os {

insmod ufs2

insmod bsd

set root='(hd0,gpt6)’

kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel

kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints

set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada0p6

set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

}

I have left the grub configuration and ISO for mfsbsd in place. It might prove useful one day to help repair or save anything.

Save the file 40_custom, then update grub and prepare to boot FreeBSD with the commands:

update-grub

grub-set-default 0

grub-reboot FreeBSD

Note this leaves Debian as the default boot choice, so FreeBSD will boot on the first reboot and any subsequent reboots will go back to Debian. To get back into FreeBSD you’ll need to run the grub-reboot command again, and then reboot.

That is the boot state I will be leaving my server in. I rarely reboot FreeBSD and I like the safety of having Debian (with mfsbsd) there as a rescue option.

• Finally reboot Debian:

reboot

• When your server comes back up it will be running FreeBSD. Log in as the user account you created during install and switch to root with the command:

su -

I hope this has got FreeBSD running for you. :)

@poolroom thank you i am sure it will be helpfull.