Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good alternative of HMA? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good alternative of HMA?

2»

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

4n0nx said: The LinkedIn profile says exactly that. Did you even read?

Quoting from their profile:

Founded 2011 in the Land of no Data Retention, Romania,

Founded in, not moved to.

And? I can make a fancy HTML table, too. You are aware that quite literally the entire VPN industry is based on a false promise, right?

JürgenM said: just want to cover your own IP against attacks

Won't work with a dedicated IP (as they'll just pass through the traffic). With a shared IP, very much an edge case.

JürgenM said: or prevent traffic interception.

A VPN doesn't "prevent traffic interception". It still allows it, by design, except it now occurs in a different place - from the VPN provider onwards, rather than from your modem onwards.

• @MrVPS said:
    hmmm... Am trying it to use in my Win VPS but it disconnects when I activate thair VPN (RDP). Seems they offer only PPTP and not Openvpn connection.

Astrill.com has been really good for me, I'm using them for almost a year without problem, their Windows client is really good, you have the option to change to OpenVPN.

• @joepie91

I think that we have a misunderstanding going on here.

With 'just want to cover your own IP against attacks' i meant that a vpn ip will be put ontop of your own ip, this is what the world-wide-web (WWW) will see and try to attack, this is fine because it would be the vpn ip instead of your real ISP ip that is getting attacked by a DDoS attack or something else.

With 'prevent traffic interception.' i meant that anyone using a vpn with encryption enabled on public or shared networks will be safe from local traffic interceptions (people on the same network trying to hijack plain text authorization logins.)

JürgenM said: With 'just want to cover your own IP against attacks' i meant that a vpn ip will be put ontop of your own ip, this is what the world-wide-web (WWW) will see and try to attack, this is fine because it would be the vpn ip instead of your real ISP ip that is getting attacked by a DDoS attack or something else.

The problem is that if you have a dedicated VPN IP, this won't matter - there's a good number of attacks that will happily be passed through by a VPN. As the VPN has higher network capacity than you do, you're still going to be hit by said attack. The VPN just functions as a reverse proxy in those cases.

With 'prevent traffic interception.' i meant that anyone using a vpn with encryption enabled on public or shared networks will be safe from local traffic interceptions (people on the same network trying to hijack plain text authorization logins.)

This is correct, albeit an edge case. The problem here is that now your VPN provider can sniff those same plaintext logins. Given that you have no way to verify what your provider does on their servers, you have absolutely no guarantee that this has improved your situation in any way.

• @joepie91 said:
    The problem is that if you have a dedicated VPN IP, this won't matter - there's a good number of attacks that will happily be passed through by a VPN. As the VPN has higher network capacity than you do, you're still going to be hit by said attack. The VPN just functions as a reverse proxy in those cases.

This is correct, albeit an edge case. The problem here is that now your VPN provider can sniff those same plaintext logins. Given that you have no way to verify what your provider does on their servers, you have absolutely no guarantee that this has improved your situation in any way.

1. I know that the VPN IP could forward the attack to the ISP IP but that doesnt matter, the attacker still didnt obtain your ISP IP and thats all that matters! he will attack an vpn ip and not your true ip! so no need to contact your ISP for a new IP or anything! all attacks are being layed at the doorstep of the vpn provider.

2. Yes your vpn provider definitly will be able to snoop in your data since all traffic is going through their service which could be setup to spy on you.. but this remains a matter of personal choice in which vpn provider you will trust depending on what kind of content you are processing through the servers.

If privacy is a real concern then dont go with any public vpn services! if you are just generally doing normal day-to-day things online then a public vpn service will be good enough as cover against harmful individuals.

JürgenM said: I know that the VPN IP could forward the attack to the ISP IP but that doesnt matter, the attacker still didnt obtain your ISP IP and thats all that matters! he will attack an vpn ip and not your true ip! so no need to contact your ISP for a new IP or anything! all attacks are being layed at the doorstep of the vpn provider.

It doesn't matter. Your home IP isn't secret information. The only thing that matters is whether somebody can send traffic to you - and regardless of whether you are using a VPN or not, they can. A VPN really doesn't help here.

if you are just generally doing normal day-to-day things online then a public vpn service will be good enough as cover against harmful individuals.

My point is that in 99% of the cases, there's nothing it's actually 'protecting' you from. It's security theater. There are very, very few cases where using a VPN as a proxy makes sense.

• @joepie91

with attacks i mean DDoS attacks in specific, flooding the network pipe of whatever IP is being targeted, in such case im glad to have a vpn ip as layer ontop of my real isp ip. if an attacker ddos attacks my vpn ip all i need to do is switching location again for a new fresh ip adress or the vpn company will automaticly migate the attack if they have a protected network infrastructure, if you are not using a vpn and the attacker captures and attacks your ISP ip then this will suck because its alot more hassle to reset that isp ip adress as not all internet service providers assign new ip adresses when you reconnect and you could get nullrouted/terminated and labeled as abuser while you are a victim of an attack.

ddos protection, optimized routing, encryption are my main reasons of paying a vpn provider. ofcourse a vpn doesnt mean you are protected against ALL attacks! i never claimed such thing so i dont know why you try to play that card.

• MrVPSMrVPS Member

Testet also cyberghost pro :)

They offer the OpenVPN via openvps software and not with thair software.
    Still looking for alternatives :)

• elgselgs Member

I tried StrongVPN and Solid Tunnel. I think they are quite good.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

joepie91 said: Founded in, not moved to.

And you completely missed the existed since 2004 part? How do you expect a German GmbH to move to Romania without founding a new company?

joepie91 said: And? I can make a fancy HTML table, too. You are aware that quite literally the entire VPN industry is based on a false promise, right?

Yes, which is why picking the right provider is so important...

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2015

I really don't understand the want to use a VPN service.

To me this just means you are lazy and don't truly care about your own privacy (which outside using a VPN service to protect you against denial of service is generally the use case for a VPN). These VPN companies can tell you they don't log anything and promise security, but just wait till the FBI or local government show up at the server location, disable the network for the server, perform a live copy of the whole server and then place it online again and just tell you there was a 'service interruption, sry k?'. In other words, the provider doesn't have to willingly provide them anything, but they can surely walk in the front door with a warrant and copy all the data off the server without having to ask permission, and yes this does happen. Then in their own time they can review all data and logs. In the slim chance the provider truly isn't keeping logs (which most do because if they don't) they will likely end up shut down as the same entity will just truck away the servers or put in place network equipment to sniff the ongoing connectivity to and from the server they are interested in.

Don't believe me? This happened about a week ago to ServerAstra in Hungary, they even sent out an e-mail about it to their customers. Basically the HU FBI and US FBI suspected illegal things going on through their network so they walked in and did exactly as I said above. Disabled their network, copied several of there servers off and then re-enabled their network walking away with servers full of data to be reviewed.

If you value you own security and privacy then at minimum you should be setting up the VPN service your self on a VPS where at least you have the ability to disable logging and the ability to control who is using the same ip address you are so you are not confused with the pedophile 300 miles away who happens to be sharing your same vpn ip address triggering an investigation on the node, etc.

@joepie91 is right on here, and is making all the right arguments. It is time for you lazy people to get off your ass and learn to setup your own services and protect your own privacy. Expecting others to do this for you will ultimately come back to bite you in the ass.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Always used PrivateInternetAccess. Works perfectly with a TON of locations for like $6 or something a month, can't remember, comes out automatically each month.

• 99% of all VPN providers - regardless of origin country - will sell your ass for money.

100% will cooperate with authorities if they get cut off from payment systems (so US can apply pressure)

25%+ steal your login data over it (seen that many times)

Use your own VPS for VPN and buy it anonymous.

4n0nx said: Yes, which is why picking the right provider is so important...

You can't. You don't have the information to make an informed choice, and can't possibly obtain it. It's a fool's errand.