Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do i know if my server is VPS or Dedi? [HELP]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do i know if my server is VPS or Dedi? [HELP]

PureHDPureHD Member
edited August 2011 in Help

I just got my dedi server details. ssh user and pass. thats it.
i am suspecting that i might be on vps. is there any way i can know that the server i got is vps or a dedi?

i need help....

Comments

• Run lspci and post the output.

• [root@ss ~]# lspci
    -bash: lspci: command not found
    [root@ss ~]#

• PureHDPureHD Member
    edited August 2011

just found this: nano /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING="yes"
    GATEWAYDEV="venet0"
    NETWORKING_IPV6="yes"
    IPV6_DEFAULTDEV="venet0"
    HOSTNAME="gs.xxxxxx"

• i think its a vps

• venet0 is the network interface inside an OpenVZ container as far as I'm aware.

What us the output of "ifconfig"?

• i made a ticket asking why i am on vps... answer was this:
    As this is mistaken many times, all of our OS's are virtualization ready. This means that all OS's have OpenVZ kernel. This will be solved once you will install a different OS that is not virtualization optimised. This is not a VPS.

• PureHDPureHD Member
    edited August 2011

NickW said: What us the output of "ifconfig"?

[root@ss ~]# ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

venet0    Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  P-t-P:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255
              UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:85301 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:51971 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:126223307 (120.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2897538 (2.7 MiB)

venet0:0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
              inet addr:6x.xxx.xxx.xxx  P-t-P:6x.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:6x.xxx.xxx.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.255
              UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

• PureHD said: This will be solved once you will install a different OS that is not virtualization optimised. This is not a VPS.

Have you tried this?

What is the provider by the way?

• i havent tried yet. but i asked to load windows 2008 iso, as i have license to install.
    provider: noc4hosts / e-glid

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The fact it's venet0 screams being an OVZ vps.

Francisco

• Francisco said: The fact it's venet0 screams being an OVZ vps.

Thats what i said to provider. but he says its not.

• I thought noc4hosts finally got folded back into hivelocity. At least the domain points there. They used to be separate as noc4hosts was the bargain division.

• PureHD said: i made a ticket asking why i am on vps... answer was this: As this is mistaken many times, all of our OS's are virtualization ready. This means that all OS's have OpenVZ kernel. This will be solved once you will install a different OS that is not virtualization optimised. This is not a VPS.

This is what I would call bullshit, fyi.

Also, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1072584

• i have already requested for refund asap.

• gianggiang Veteran

PureHD said: i havent tried yet. but i asked to load windows 2008 iso, as i have license to install. provider: noc4hosts / e-glid

Bad luck, e-glid got a long thread all WHT :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

PureHD said: i made a ticket asking why i am on vps... answer was this: As this is mistaken many times, all of our OS's are virtualization ready. This means that all OS's have OpenVZ kernel. This will be solved once you will install a different OS that is not virtualization optimised. This is not a VPS.

I also call that BS, why would you install the OpenVZ kernel if you are not going to create VM's. That is utter crap.

• False advertising much?

• Don't need to call BS, it is BS, the host node doesn't use /dev/simfs, it uses native devices for storage, the only way you get /dev/simfs is inside a VPS

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited August 2011

Running a Dedicated within a VPS container is actually not a bad thing if you know what you're doing. We have plenty of clients that run their dedicated server within an OpenVZ container. There are several perfectly good reasons to do this.

However, if you purchase a dedicated with VPS capability, you should have full access to the host node.

For OpenVZ, the easiest way to see if you are on a VPS node or container is to just do

cat /etc/grub.conf

Look at the mounts and you'll know.

If you are on the "host node that is ready for VPS", you should also be able to issue the command:

vzlist

or for Xen

xm list

• kiloserve said: at /etc/grub.conf

did that and got this:
    cat: /etc/grub.conf: No such file or directory

edited August 2011

If you are not using RHEL, Centos/Fedora, that is ok. Debian/Ubuntu don't use that.

Check /boot by running this at the command line.

ls -la /boot

If /boot is empty (you only see the 2 dots and the single dot) then you are on an OpenVZ type VPS and not on the VZ Host node.

That check won't work for Xen though.

• i am on centos

• PureHDPureHD Member
    edited August 2011

got this output:

[root@ss ~]# ls -la /boot

total 8

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 11 15:58 .

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Aug 11 01:13 ..

edited August 2011

I'd ask for a refund...unfortunately, that's a VPS container and not the VPS Host Node.

No grub.conf AND no /boot kernels (vmlinuz, initrd) in /boot...you can't boot a CENTOS dedicated server without it.

• i already asked for refund yesterday also opened a paypal dispute.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

i already asked for refund yesterday also opened a paypal dispute.

Shouldn't have done both at the same time. Can't refund when funds are tied up in a dispute.

Best bet would be to cancel the dispute and wait to see if you get the refund first.

• Huh no...if you cancel the dispute now, you will not be able to open it. You just have to wait on paypal.

Someone that gives a VPS instead of a Dedi, can you expect a refund

• VmlIT said: Someone that gives a VPS instead of a Dedi, can you expect a refund

Probably no, you will lose the dispute since it is over virtual/digital service, unless you are one of many at the same time placing a dispute, then PayPal might side with you, but rare.

• miTgiB said: Probably no, you will lose the dispute since it is over virtual/digital service, unless you are one of many at the same time placing a dispute, then PayPal might side with you, but rare.

Fortuntaely, the provider in question, almost every customer is hitting dispute simultaneously

• miTgiB said: Probably no, you will lose the dispute since it is over virtual/digital service, unless you are one of many at the same time placing a dispute, then PayPal might side with you, but rare.

In my experience, you can call up PayPal and speak with a representative in the disputes department. When you do, you have a much greater chance at getting the service you deserve.