Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode turns 12! Goodbye Xen and welcome KVM! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode turns 12! Goodbye Xen and welcome KVM!

13»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: was it really that hard?

I don't consider that a catch, but fair enough, I think we are on very different wavelengths and effective communication is probably difficult so I will refrain from it in future.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • @kcaj said:

Seem to have stumbled across a fairly loaded node.

Nice. I've one vps on that node. Linode probably will clean up Xen nodes then reinstall it to KVM and migrate back.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Since Linode offers no DDOS protection, do they just usually null route, or do people usually only run Linode nodes through a GRE tunnel? Just cannot imagine having a vps with no DDOS protection ~ So easy for a null route to happen even if you have the best iptables in the world :(

• J1021J1021 Member

Dillybob said: Since Linode offers no DDOS protection, do they just usually null route, or do people usually only run Linode nodes through a GRE tunnel? Just cannot imagine having a vps with no DDOS protection ~ So easy for a null route to happen even if you have the best iptables in the world :(

There is no DDoS protection. They will manually null route.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • tortautortau Member
    edited June 2015

My 2 cents from browsing the thread:

Linode was my first foray into VPS (coming from super expensive dedicated servers) and I think I paid $20-25/month for 256mb back in those days. There was only Linode and Slicehost for VPS hosting then (I'm talking mainstream, non-enterprise companies that are geared towards developers, etc).

I stayed with them for about 3 years before I got into low end because my requirements changed (once again, downsized to just personal websites and eventually quitting the hosting business altogether) and $5/month seemed like an ideal dream (it was).

Anyways, during the entire time with Linode, I had 0 downtime. The only time I had to "reboot" my VPS was because the plan increased in RAM over the years and in order to activate the update, you had to restart. The community was great and support usually responded within 5-15 minutes.

In short, the experience has been nothing short of stellar. I would always recommend them if you have a business that requires a solid platform and people who know what they are doing.

[Edit: I forgot to mention that this was between 2008-2010 so I don't know how much things have changed since.]

Thanked by 1marrco
  • I still remember just less than 3-4 years ago, KVM was still maturing and XEN was more commonly used than KVM. Crazy how times have changed!

• @QuadraNet_Adam said:
    I still remember just less than 3-4 years ago, KVM was still maturing and XEN was more commonly used than KVM. Crazy how times have changed!

Omg technology changed!

• tommytommy Member

Finally we can install *BSD/Windows on Linode ;)

• @Dillybob said:

I totally got what you are trying to ask. Though I never used linode before. I agree many reputable providers seem pretty good, but they do have some weird problems somewhere. Like I have 2 servers on a pretty good provider, servers run fast and stable, but their system has issue booting debian 8. :'( You never know this issue before you try.

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • chrispchrisp Member

Lee said: I suspect this change like a few recently at Linode is being dictated by the losses to other providers such as DO.

Or it's because Linode doesn't have a 5$ plan to start with.

• I'd been almost 2 years with them, i still remember the last time whenever i did a rebooting vps for their double specs offer. That's 200+ days uptime although the prices is not suitable for my own wallet.

• LeeLee Veteran

@chrisp said:
    Or it's because Linode doesn't have a 5$ plan to start with.

Which is good, it puts them just out of reach of the customer type I don't want to be on a server with.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:

I would love a Linode for $5/mo to use it for small websites. Does that make me a bad customer?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Radi said: I would love a Linode for $5/mo to use it for small websites. Does that make me a bad customer?

No, however knowing what we do from LET for the most part, the abusers won't go above the $5. Either because they can't afford it or they know they will get terminated before the service is up.

With a $10 limit, card only payments and Linode being very intolerant of abuse they make for a reliable choice.

Yes it does mean some like yourself are prevented which is not so great but you can't win them all.

• Oh dear... I personally think it's a shame they're taking this approach.

I've asked them if I could get my remaining credit back after they have force-switched me from Xen to KVM. I'd rather use a more experienced provider with KVM in case I'm forced that way (like Prometeus or RamNode) rather than a bunch of Xen-experts gone KVM.

Plus, I'm a big Xen-fan myself. I still consider it more proper virtualization than KVM because Xen is "Ring 0" virtualization and KVM is "Ring 1" meaning it runs in userspace.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited June 2015

I feel bad that I've migrated too early to KVM. They were not prepared probably.

# uptime
     21:59:36 up 1 day,  1:15,  1 user,  load average: 14.96, 14.51, 14.32

Linode reports that host node having high load.

• J1021J1021 Member

@alexvolk Is that london1043 still? It's hopping between medium and high all day.

• @kcaj said:
    alexvolk Is that london1043 still? It's hopping between medium and high all day.

Yes, it is. Plus london1042, london1045 => high load

london1044, london1045, london1046 => medium load.

There are no more low loaded nodes! Created ticket, let's if they'll sort it out.
    Looks like they've migrated all people to a few nodes :D

• J1021J1021 Member

@alexvolk Let me know how the ticket goes. :)

• @kcaj said:
    alexvolk Let me know how the ticket goes. :)

Probably resolved a bit but they deny it:

Our administrators looked into the situation and could not find anything out of the ordinary with the host. This indicates that the issue may be local to your Linode.

I/O was slow as hell, now it's came close to normal.

alexvolk said: I/O was slow as hell, now it's came close to normal.

Silly question I guess but if you were on Xen PV have you checked to see if your actually using the virtio driver or if it has fallen back to a basic ide driver?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Silly question I guess but if you were on Xen PV have you checked to see if your actually using the virtio driver or if it has fallen back to a basic ide driver?

You mean this Virtual Machine Mode from https://www.linode.com/docs/platform/kvm ?

• J1021J1021 Member

alexvolk said: Probably resolved a bit but they deny it:

Hm, that's a little hard to believe whilst the panel is still displaying a high load. I'm not watching 24/7 but I haven't seen any steal whilst maxing the CPU to 100%. So no real issues, it's still a little concerning though.

The panel also seems to have glitched for me. This is from my Linode 1G with one core.

AnthonySmith said: good news though, researching the same thing myself Xen <> KVM swap, so far in testing I have been able to directly import the xen disk image in to kvm and boot without a single issue

I assume this is what Linode are doing. As soon as the disk image is copied to a new host, it boots within a few seconds. I also tried swapping a Linode from a KVM to Xen and that worked fine.

alexvolk said: You mean this Virtual Machine Mode from

Yes, use virtio scsi and also check within your os that you are actually using it.

http://pastie.org/10246085 <-- because Cloudflare has a fit when trying to put that in a post for some reason.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    http://pastie.org/10246085 <-- because Cloudflare has a fit when trying to put that in a post for some reason.

Here is the result http://pastie.org/10246090

I've been also blocked by CloudFlare :D

@alexvolk yep your on virtio there is a strong possibility that it is just the migrations themselves causing IO issues I suppose, who knows.

I assume the disk images are being dd'ed over to the KVM nodes constantly right now and that will hurt IOPS, probably give it a week to settle then judge I would say.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
  • Unless a price cut, Linode is not gonna stay on my list.