Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode turns 12! Goodbye Xen and welcome KVM! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode turns 12! Goodbye Xen and welcome KVM!

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Dillybob said: What makes Linode

Age, stability, quality support from people who really know what they are doing.

Thanked by 2Lee marrco
  • AnthonySmith said: Age, stability, quality support from people who really know what they are doing.

I'm going to take that with a grain of salt:

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Age, stability, quality support from people who really know what they are doing.

This. You can't judge everything by LET/LEB pricing. $7 rarely buys you what Linode can offer in terms hardware, support and ability.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:

It was due to zero day exploit of cold fusion if I remember correctly.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

alexvolk said: It was due to zero day exploit of cold fusion if I remember correctly.

Alright, fair enough. But, there has to be a catch... no company is perfect. What is it.. everyone has one negative thing about them. On the verge of buying a 10$ / m plan that's why I'm asking :D Want to know the whole story and be honest with me, please.

Dillybob said: I'm going to take that with a grain of salt

You can do what you want with it, that was a 0day it could have just as easy been anyone.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Dillybob said:

We will be here all night if you want to start listing all the providers on LET that have been hacked, fixed it, hacked, denied it and so on.

It's the internet, it happens. for every honest person there are 3 dishonest ones trying to hack something and will eventually find that vulnerability. What was more important in that Linode event is that they were quick to react, something few providers here would have done.

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • @Dillybob said:
    Alright, fair enough. But, there has to be a catch... no company is perfect. What is it.. everyone has one negative thing about them. On the verge of buying a 10$ / m plan that's why I'm asking :D Want to know the whole story and be honest with me, please.

Well, Linode is great because they've developed Lassie* and offer it for free which was originally invented by @DewlanceVPS named AutoBoot™ which costs $2 per month normally.

*Lassie is a Shutdown Watchdog that monitors your Linode and will reboot it if it powers off unexpectedly. It works by issuing a boot job when your Linode powers off without a shutdown job being responsible.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • What is the difference between paravirtualized KVM and fully virtualized KVM? I thought KVM has always been fully virtuallzed which is why it is capable of running any OS.

Is KVM paravirtualizaton a new feature?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

sundaymouse said: Let's say "they don't play the cheap game

This one prevent me from join them

Tried one time but they ask for ID, than they go fuck off with their stuff.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:

You seem obsessed with negativity. Stop scaring me. Now.

Thanked by 2Lee wych
    edited June 2015

Amitz said: You seem obsessed with negativity. Stop scaring me. Now.

Yeah, because every hosting company is perfect has no faults? You couldn't be more wrong. Not all hosts are perfect and for you guys to sit here and say Linode is perfect is beyond bullshit.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: Not all hosts are perfect and for you guys to sit here and say Linode is perfect is bullshit.

There is no perfect host anywhere. Where did anyone say they were perfect? It would seem we are simply more capable of evaluating and setting our expectations accordingly in determining who we consider to be good or even exceptional where they do have faults.

Anger issues much?

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Linode is like the luxury car brand of hosts :-P

edited June 2015

Lee said: There is no perfect host anywhere. Where did anyone say they were perfect? It would seem we are simply more capable of evaluating and setting our expectations accordingly in determining who we consider to be good or even exceptional where they do have faults.

Anger issues much?

Yeah because I'm so mad? How about you lay your eyes back on this thread and look up a few pages to see the light. I specifically asked about Linode and what is the catch? Guess what was said?
    'Age, stability, quality support from people who really know what they are doing.'

I guess there's no catch, so Linode must be perfect. Are you scared to say something negative about a host? Insecurity issues much? No anger issues here, I just find it hilarious you cannot say something negative about a hosting company lol. And you even admitted 'there is no perfect host'...

With that said, I'm assuming there is something very negative about them and that's why you won't say it.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Stop. Scaring me. Now.

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited June 2015

Amitz said: Stop. Scaring me. Now.

Your friend 'Lee' is the scary one, he's the one instigating all this by belittering me at a personal level. 'Anger issues much?'. Completely irrelevant and uncalled for.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: I guess there's no catch, so Linode must be perfect. Are you scared to say something negative about a host? Insecurity issues much?

No I am not scared to say anything negative about a host and I will and have done many times in the past. Linode for me has offered no issues, if any downtime I can't even recall it. Support is sharp when I need it. That is all I need from them and therefore all I can tell you.

If you want to go digging for every little bit of dirt on hosts then go find it instead of taking this constant Mr Angry approach because others won't bend to your angry, negative desires.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Huh. That internet. Full of funny people. Time for a drink.

@Dillybob I really don't understand your problem, no one said they were perfect just a few notches above your average host is all.

I have said plenty negative about Linode for example the old japan nodes were over crowded and sluggish compared to the USA, but honestly they really are a measuring stick for other hosts, perfect ? no, good? yes.

Really I think you need to chill out man, no one is out to get you here, you seem to be very intense without any good reason.

If someone says Aston Martin make excellent cars, have a long history, top notch engineers that does not automatically mean that they don't acknowledge they may have some flaws they are simply illustrating they are pretty damn good., without going in to war and peace about every single aspect of the company and every issue they have ever had.

• Lee said: If you want to go digging for every little bit of dirt on hosts then go find it instead of taking this constant Mr Angry approach because others won't bend to you angry, negative desires.

Who the hell said I dig up negative things on every single host? AFAIK this is the first time of me posting on this forum about Linode and asked a genuine question about what's the catch, everyone loves them and they are the 'best', but what's the catch? There has to be something and if there isn't then you're only lying to yourself.

'Linode for me has offered no issues, if any downtime I can't even recall it. Support is sharp when I need it. That is all I need from them and therefore all I can tell you.'

This is a lie. There is always something negative. You're just not wanting to say it.

Take this analogy for example. Lets say you meet the women of your dreams, she is absolutely beautiful and nothing is wrong about her. But over-time... throughout the relationship with them, there is something that just pisses you off, or something you find annoying. That's my point, now apply that analogy to your overall experience with Linode then reply back thanks.

edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: I have said plenty negative about Linode for example the old japan nodes were over crowded and sluggish compared to the USA, but honestly they really are a measuring stick for other hosts, perfect ? no, good? yes.

There we go. That's what I asked for on the first page. 'What is the catch'. Thanked. That's all I wanted, was it really that hard?

• AmitzAmitz Member

My Linode does not like fellatio. She pisses me off with that.

Thanked by 2Lee Pwner
  • LeeLee Veteran

Dillybob said: This is a lie. There is always something negative. You're just not wanting to say it.

Lol, see what I mean, negative, negative, negative, must get that negative, it must be there, I will find the negative, they won't stop me!

Also, if you were not so angry you would not need to keep editing your posts to add the bits you forgot.

Thanked by 4Amitz k0nsl Pwner Dylan
    edited June 2015

Lee said: Lol, see what I mean, negative, negative, negative, must get that negative, it must be there, I will find the negative, they won't stop me!

If i'm about to spend $10 / m on a node, I'd damn well want to know some negatives about it. Negatives = Criticism. Helps in the deciding factor for me anyway.

You still haven't said anything bad about Linode though, I find that funny :) I have a feeling you work for them :)

• wychwych Member

Dillybob said: I have a feeling you work for them :)

You feel strange things...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

And of course research is good before purchasing. However I have been honest with you in my previous summary. Some people will have had some bad experiences, others good, mine has been nothing but good.

Yes you will find others who have had issues, yes you will find info about hack. Do I worry about them or feel they need to affect my view of them? No.

Ask me about CVPS, OVH, URPad after the sale to the current owners and a few others and I will have plenty to say but you did not choose one of them.

• Fair Enough & understandable Lee. I am just very skeptical of a company before I send then my money.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Dillybob said: I have a feeling you work for them :)

For the record I do fund hosting related business as well as buy and sell others. I do not actually work in any. I actually work in banking.

• J1021J1021 Member

Seem to have stumbled across a fairly loaded node.